PatriotPerson
PiercedPanda

Game Boys > DS's

PiercedPanda

PatriotPerson

Pro

I believe that Game Boys are superior to DS's (hence the ">"). My opponent will argue that DS's are superior. First round: Acceptance, Second round: First arguments, Third round: Rebuttals and second arguments, Fourth round: Rebuttals and third arguments, Fifth round: Rebuttals and conclusion.

Every system in the respective family is allowed, so I can use the following:
-Game Boy
-Game Boy Pocket
-Game Boy Light
-Game Boy Color
-Game Boy Advance
-Game Boy Advance SP
-Game Boy Micro

And my opponent can use the following:
-DS
-DS Lite
-DSi
-DSi XL
-3DS
-3DS XL
-2DS
PiercedPanda

Con

Oops pressed the accept button. No matter. Challenge accepted [1]

Source:
1.http://knowyourmeme.com...
PatriotPerson

Pro

1. Game Boys are Classic

Game Boys bring back joyous memories to older teenagers and adults throughout the world, reminding them of the hours on end becoming a Pokemon master or saving Hyrule from Ganondorf, among MANY other exciting adventures. What do you get with the DS? A boring pokemon adventure with way less imaginative pokemon, and a wimpy "toon" link riding on a small pirates' boat.

I think its pretty apparent which is better.

The Game Boys were HUGE in the 90s, which was an awesome decade. This just proves that game Boys were more popular, since there were a lot less available gaming consoles back in the 90s than in the DS's time. Other consoles that compete with the DS family are the Wii family, the Playstation family, the Xbox family, and others. As you can see, the Game Boy had less to compete with, thus giving it more time with people. With more time with people, things are better.

More next round.
PiercedPanda

Con

Assumptions don't make something correct young one.

Rebuttals:

"What do you get with the DS? A boring pokemon adventure with way less imaginative pokemon, and a wimpy "toon" link riding on a small pirates' boat."

This is completely false. As we all know, the DS is more modern than a gameboy, resulting in better animation, and better story line. Think about it, in Pokemon red and blue versions, you have 8-bit characters moving around, and you are held back a lot. For example, in Pokemon red, you can't run indoors. There aren't even running shoes. [1] Also, in the newer pokemon games, there are more pokemon and features. For example, in pokemon x and y, you have a better vision of your character, you can customise them, use roller skates, and even ride pokemon. Which actual pokemon game for the game boy can you do all of that while having great animation? And the same goes for games of related to legend of Zelda (the animation part).

"The Game Boys were HUGE in the 90s, which was an awesome decade. This just proves that game Boys were more popular, since there were a lot less available gaming consoles back in the 90s than in the DS's time. "

Once again, false. The amount of gameboys sold in all time is 87.66 million. [2] The amount of DS sold is over 100 million. [3]

Now for my arguments on why the DS is better.

Arguments:

I will only explain 4 out of the many reasons why the DS is better.

First of all, variety. Since the DS is more modern, there are obviously more games customised for the product. Not only that, but some DS products including the DS lite can not only play DS games, but also gameboy games. Also the 3DS can play 3DS games, DS games, and you can also download gameboy games onto the device. With the DS, you are much less limited to the amount of games you can play, and also the features.

Secondly, the animation. Since the DS is more modern, the animation for the games is much better. It went from 2d flat black and white images on the gameboy, to 3D style animation with colour on the DS. And don't forget the 3DS, one of the first handheld items to display actual 3D animation without the use of glasses. Where can you get that in the game boy?

Thirdly, the possibilities. As I mentioned before, the DS has much more features than the gameboy. On the DS, there are some apps like calculators, and even stop motion video creators. Not only that, don't forget the cameras on all DS created after the DS lite.

And last but not least, internet :D. All DS devices are capable of connecting to the internet, enabling connection between friends, and soon to be friends. Take the GTS on pokemon for example. With the internet, you can trade online and find the pokemon you want. You can't do this on a gameboy, you need a connection cord to connect, and it must connect to the other gameboy. In this paragraph I would also like to mention wireless connection. All DS products can connect to one another through a wireless connection, without any pesky cords that can easily break.

In the words of my opponent, "More next round."

1. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...
4. http://www.debate.org...
5. This new invention called the brain
PatriotPerson

Pro

"In Pokemon red, you can't run indoors. There aren't even running shoes."
So? That's a good thing. It gave children a sense of politeness, whereas the modern pokemon games tend to give children the thought of "I can do whatever the heck I want!"

"Even ride pokemon."
You can ride pokemon in Pokemon Red. It's called HM Surf, bro.

"in which pokemon game for the game boy can you do all that while having great animation?"
Great animation has nothing to do with quality. And you know the Game Boy couldn't offer such great animation. It was an old system, starting in the 90s!

"The amount of DS sold is over 100 million".
That's just because kids these days sit inside all day playing video games. They never actually go outside and do active stuff like kids in the 90s did.

"the DS lite can not only play DS games, but also gameboy games."
That's because they're in the same family. If we're talking variety here, the Game Boy Advance SP can play Original (including original, Pocket, and Light), Color, and obviously Advance games.

"it went from 2d flat black and white images on the game boy..."
I have three words for ya: GAME BOY COLOR. Not only the Game Boy Color plays games in color, but all Game Boys after it do.

"Where can you get that (3D) in the game boy? (http://en.wikipedia.org... )

___________________________________________________

And for your claim about cameras, check this out: ( http://en.wikipedia.org...;)

The cords for Game Boys are actually quite sturdy and hold up a nice connection.

______________________________________
Now one of my own arguments:

The Game Boys come in different sizes and shapes (unlike the DS's). The original, pocket, light, and color all look the same, but after that they all look way different. With DS's, however, they are all pretty much the exact same shape.

Not only have I negated most of my opponent's arguments, I have introduced an interesting and firm one.

More next round.

PiercedPanda

Con

Comparing these 2 devices would be unfair. Since the DS is much more advanced, it is obviously superior to the gameboy. No matter.

Rebuttals:

"Great animation has nothing to do with quality. And you know the Game Boy couldn't offer such great animation. It was an old system, starting in the 90s!"

You just admitted than the DS had better animation than the gameboy. It doesn't matter what age they are from, this debate is about which device is superior. You can't use the age of the device as an excuse.

"That's just because kids these days sit inside all day playing video games. They never actually go outside and do active stuff like kids in the 90s did."

This is completely irrelevant. You are stereotyping to much. The reason that the DS has more sales is because it is a better product, otherwise it wouldn't. Why waste your money on something that sucks? Who would by a DS and not use it?

"That's because they're in the same family. If we're talking variety here, the Game Boy Advance SP can play Original (including original, Pocket, and Light), Color, and obviously Advance games."

Yes, however the DS can play all those games including the one of the DS, giving a much greater variety.

"Where can you get that (3D) in the game boy? (http://en.wikipedia.org...... )"

This is a virtual boy, a Nintendo console. NOT a gameboy.

"And for your claim about cameras, check this out: ( http://en.wikipedia.org......;)"

Well here is the thing, you have to buy a specific gameboy for that feature. With the majority of the DS, you can have all the features. This way you don't but multiple devices for multiple features, you only need 1.

"The cords for Game Boys are actually quite sturdy and hold up a nice connection."

But what if you lose it? Then you can no longer connect until you use someone else's, or buy a new one. DS connect through wireless connection, which is superior than having a cord that can break, tangle or easily get lost.

"The Game Boys come in different sizes and shapes (unlike the DS's). The original, pocket, light, and color all look the same, but after that they all look way different. With DS's, however, they are all pretty much the exact same shape."

Are you kidding me? Look at all of the DS related products, all in different shapes and sizes. Look at the DS, DS lite compared to a 2DS. Different shape, different size. Having a wide amount of shapes and sizes can be bad as well. Since the variety is so big, and that there are no new devices it will be difficult to chose which one to buy. With a DS, if you are about to buy one, since the branch is going on, you would buy the latest one, without any issues.

"Not only have I negated most of my opponent's arguments, I have introduced an interesting and firm one."

Your new argument is nor interesting nor firm, this is subjective.

Now for my arguments....

ARGUMENTS:

I will mention a few main argument explaining why the DS is superior to any gameboy what so ever.

A DS can adjust the lighting, which can change the amount of battery you use. Where can you get that on a gameboy? Show me more unreliable links with random gameboys that no one bought, I dare you. Also, the DS games have sold better than the gameboy games. And Pokemon is, and always will be better on the DS than on the gameboy. And let's face it, Nintendo relies on pokemon more than anything. Lastly, there are more games that can connect on the DS than on the gameboy. This gives users better interaction with others.

Not only did I negate the negations and arguments of my opponent, I have also given FOUR, not just one interesting and firm points.
PatriotPerson

Pro

"this debate is about which device is superior."
I also said that animation has nothing to do with quality. People who waste their time blasting arguments about "better animation" as being an argument for something being better than the other are just low-life critics.

"The reason that the DC has more sales is because it is a better product, otherwise it wouldn't."
The blanket has a lot more sales than the snuggie, but snuggies are better products.

"Who would by a DS and not use it?"
Collectors and sellers.

"Yes, howver the DS can play all those games"
False. The DS can only play Game Boy Advance games.

"That is a virtual boy, a Nintendo console. NOT a gameboy."
It is in the Game Boy line. Hence the "boy" in the title.

"Well here is the thing, you have to buy a specific gameboy for that feature."
False. The Game Boy Camera works on all Game Boys, with the exception of the Game Boy Micro.

"But what if you lose it?" (referring to Game Boy connection cables).
You shouldn't lose it. You should be wise enough to put it in a secure location. However, if you do lose it, they are quite cheap:https://www.google.com...;
They were especially cheaper back when the Game Boys were all the rage.

"Look at the DS, DS lite compared to a 2DS."
Oh, six different installations look exactly the same, compared to one looking differently. I get it now.

"this is subjective"
So is the majority of your arguments.

"A DS can adjust the lighting."
The Game boy Advance SP and the Game Boy Micro have the availability to adjust brightness. For all other family members, you can buy an attachable light for a cheap price.

"Not only did I negate the negations and arguments of my opponent, I have also given FOUR, not just one interesting and firm points."
Well that was incorrect. I'll tell you why. (1) You did not negate a thing I said. (2) You're being hypocritical. You judge me for being subjective, then you go and do the same thing.

________________________________________________________________

I will now list advantages the Game Boy line has over the DS line.

The Game Boy Printer
: An accessory that allows you to print images from a Game Boy. The DS line does not offer such a thing.
Super Game Boy: Allows you to play Game Boy games on a Super Nintendo. Not only does this make your view larger, but it makes your overall experience better.
Game Boy Player: This is an accessory to the GameCube that allows you to play Game Boy games on the GameCube, like with the Super Game Boy. Not only does this make your view larger, but it makes your overall experience better.
The e-Reader: For the Game Boy Advance. It allows you to play NES games on your Game Boy.
Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter: Allows you to connect with others and play without a cable. So that negates all your arguments about Game Boys having connection problems.

_______________________________

As you can see, he Game Boy line offers many things that the DS line doesn't. This is why Game Boys are better.

PiercedPanda

Con

Rebuttals:

"The blanket has a lot more sales than the snuggie, but snuggies are better products."

This is opinionated. I believe that blankets are better products.

"False. The DS can only play Game Boy Advance games."

But the 3DS can download old gameboy games. Also the SD cards can as well. They can also play older gameboy games, not only gameboy advance.

"It is in the Game Boy line. Hence the "boy" in the title."

Just because boy is in the title does not make it part of the Game Boy line.

"False. The Game Boy Camera works on all Game Boys, with the exception of the Game Boy Micro."

Yes but you have to keep buying extra added things for your gameboy. With the DS, yall of the features are already built in. It doesn't matter how cheap the extra things are, it matters how you are going to get the items. It is tedious to go through all the trouble of finding these specific items. You can only find them at specific stores or on ebay. With the DS, these thigns are already built in, so you don't need to find extra things.

"You shouldn't lose it. You should be wise enough to put it in a secure location. However, if you do lose it, they are quite cheap:https://www.google.com......;
They were especially cheaper back when the Game Boys were all the rage."

As I just said, it is tedious to find the items. Even if they are cheap, they are used and will break even faster.

"Oh, six different installations look exactly the same, compared to one looking differently. I get it now."
They all have different sizes.

"The Game boy Advance SP and the Game Boy Micro have the availability to adjust brightness. For all other family members, you can buy an attachable light for a cheap price."

That is the thing I keep trying to explain. The DS has all of these things built in. With the game boy, you have to keep looking around to find the items. It is better to buy a DS than to have to buy a game boy and so many extra features.

For all your argumetns, you listed items that can make the game boy better. The game boy itself is inferior to the DS. Buying extra features makes it no longer the game boy, but the features itself. You are explaining how these features make the game boy better, but you are no longer talking about the game boy, you are talking about the features.

Now I will give the reasons why the DS is much better, without having to buy more and more things to try to make it better:

The games have better animation.
The DS has 2 screens.
The 3DS games can be displayed in 3D without the use of glasses.
The DS products can download whatever you want onto the DS, giving it a greater variety than the gameboy.
The DS has more sales.
The DS can play DS and gameboy games
The DS is touch screen, something the gameboy isn't. There is no special feature to get this on a gameboy.
The DS can connect to the internet, allowing players to play online against people around the world.
The DS has better games.

I have negated all of Pro's arguments, while he has missed so many of mine, such as internet. Pro talks more about the add ons you buy than the gameboy itself. Con has displayed more points, and better rebuttals, vote for con.
PatriotPerson

Pro

"This is opinionated. I believe that blankets are better products."
Why? Snuggies have sleeves and come in special designs!

"But the 3DS can download old gameboy games."
Which can actually be a problem. Downloads like that can take a long time, and often cost more than what it does to just buy the game from a store or to order it online.

"Just because boy is in the title does not make it part of the Game Boy line."
Then by that logic we should say "Just because it has an 's' in it does not make it part of the DS line".

"With the DS, yall of the features are already built in."
Which is bad because it adds up to the total price of the system drastically. The Game Boy even with all the accessories is still less than one DS.

"Even if they are cheap, they are used and will break even faster."
That is not true. There are many game stores in my community (I live in a small town) that sell Game Boy cables. Most of them are new, never-before-used, even factory sealed. I've bought one there, and it still works perfectly to this day.

"They all have different sizes".
Ok, sure. Maybe they're all a LITTLE different in sizes, but in shape, they're all exactly the same (with the exception of the 2DS).

"The DS has all of these things built in."
Like I said above, that adds to its price. If you go to the right shop or website, you can find EVERYTHING you want for a Game Boy.

"The game boy itself is inferior to the DS."
Biased and opinionated.

"Buying extra features makes it no longer the game boy, but the features itself."
Well that was a rather dumb claim. No matter how many accessories I use on it, it will still be a Game Boy.

"The games have better animation."
Good animation is not a good factor for quality, unless you're stingy. Anyways, some DS games have poor animation, whereas some Game Boy games have excellent animation.

"The DS has 2 screens."
Having two screens is just as functionable as having one.

"The DS products can download whatever you want onto the DS,"
Whatever you want? Are you kidding me? That is not true AT ALL.

"The DS has more sales."
Have I not explained this three times already?

"The DS can play DS and gameboy games"
The Game Boy Advance SP can play Game Boy Advance games and all the games of its past relatives.

"The DS is touch screen."
Games with touch screens are just as functionable as games without. Therefore, there is no additional quality there.

"The DS can connect to the internet".
Keep in mind that this is not a fair argument. It was impossible for the Game Boy to support internet. Back when the first Game Boys came out, the only people who even had internet on their computers were wealthy or were scientists.

"The DS has better games."
This is very biased and opinionated.

" I have negated all of Pro's arguments, while he has missed so many of mine, such as internet. Pro talks more about the add ons you buy than the gameboy itself. Con has displayed more points, and better rebuttals, vote for con."
Good job lying, bro. You did not negate all of my arguments, I did not miss so many of yours.
________________________________________________________________________________

MORE ARGUMENTS!

1. The DS ideas ideas are not creative at all. Here's a summary of what happened in the minds of the DS creators, I will make up names for the workers.
Mr. Johnson: The DS is out! This'll be great!
Mr. Garcia: I'm so glad too, Johnson! What will we do for the next one?
Mr. Johnson: We make it lite!
*workers in the room yell a dissaproving chorus of "BOO"*
Mr. Johnson: Guys, guys. I have better ideas than that! After Lite we'll have the DSi, with internet and a camera! For the one after that, we'll make it bigger! Then we'll make one that plays in 3D! Then we'll make THAT bigger! Finally, get this...we'll make one that's basically the exact same as the first few!
Nintendo employees; YAY!!!

You see how un-creative DS ideas are? I mean, really?

2. Con fails to use special effects in his arguments! So, with a more artistic approach in my words, I say

VOTE PRO, BRO!

PiercedPanda

Con

Rebuttals:

"Why? Snuggies have sleeves and come in special designs! "

Blankets come in the same designs, and have a greater variety. And I must explain something. The reason the blankets have more sales is because they have been around for so much longer. And so have the gameboys, yet the DS, which came out later still has more sales. So even though the gameboy has had more time to sell, the DS has more sales, implying that people rather buy a DS than a gameboy. Making the DS superior.

"Which can actually be a problem. Downloads like that can take a long time, and often cost more than what it does to just buy the game from a store or to order it online."

It still takes much less time than going to a store and buying it. And the average cost for games for download is much les than buying it form a store. Further more, you can lose the game if you buy the actual card, with downloads, it is in your DS, and you can't lose it!

"Then by that logic we should say "Just because it has an 's' in it does not make it part of the DS line". "

Yes, yes we wouldn't. The reason being if I say "girls" they would be part of the DS line just because they have the letter "S" in it.

"Which is bad because it adds up to the total price of the system drastically. The Game Boy even with all the accessories is still less than one DS".

But you need to go through the trouble of finding Game Boy accessories, as I have said earlier. Is my opponent even considering my arguments before he continues? With DS features, you can instantly, securely have all the things you need, without having to buy so many add ons.

"Ok, sure. Maybe they're all a LITTLE different in sizes, but in shape, they're all exactly the same (with the exception of the 2DS)."

It doesn't matter what shape, as long as you can carry it around, and feel comfortable. Not all Game Boy products are comfortable because of the odd shapes.

"Like I said above, that adds to its price. If you go to the right shop or website, you can find EVERYTHING you want for a Game Boy. "

As I said above, it is much simpler and faster to download.

"Biased and opinionated."

Fact and proof. It's more advanced, therefore better in technology.

"Well that was a rather dumb claim. No matter how many accessories I use on it, it will still be a Game Boy. "

But you are talking about all the accessories, you aren't even talking about the Game Boy any more! It's like me saying that that girl is only good if she puts on make up. She herself is not pretty, she only looks good with the make up. I am now talking about the make up, not the girl. Just like when you talk about the accessories, not the gameboy.

"Good animation is not a good factor for quality, unless you're stingy. Anyways, some DS games have poor animation, whereas some Game Boy games have excellent animation."

But think about even the home screen, of course the DS has better animation than the gameboy, the Game Boy doesn't even have a proper home screen!

"Having two screens is just as functionable as having one."

First of all, "functionable" is not a word, it is functional. And with 2 screens, you have more game play to observe.

"Whatever you want? Are you kidding me? That is not true AT ALL. "

The majority of what you want. Either way, much more than a Game Boy.

"The Game Boy Advance SP can play Game Boy Advance games and all the games of its past relatives."

The 3DS can play all 3DS, DS, and gameboy games through download. Game Boys can't download anything.

"Games with touch screens are just as functionable as games without. Therefore, there is no additional quality there."

Functionable again, it's functional! Ever hear of spell check? However this is something the DS has that the game boy doesn't making it better.

"Keep in mind that this is not a fair argument. It was impossible for the Game Boy to support internet. Back when the first Game Boys came out, the only people who even had internet on their computers were wealthy or were scientists."

Have you even been reading my arguments? The reason the DS is better is because it is newer. You can't use age as an excuse!

"This is very biased and opinionated. "

Once again, fact and proof. The games are more advanced, therefore better in technology.

Your first argument (running out of space)

This is not a satire debate. This is not true, and there is no proof behind such a foolish argument

Your Second argument:

I am unaware how to do such, and once again, this is not a satire debate. Special effects are not a reasonable reason to vote for someone. I am disappointed you turned this serious debate into a satire one.

Now for my final arguments:

The DS is more advanced in technology, making it superior.
People who like the Game Boy over the DS have inferior vocabulary, considering one of them uses the word "functionable"
The DS doesn't need any accessories to make it better, the Game Boy has to have thousands of accessories to even get close to the awesomeness of the DS!

DS are better.

When Pro makes new arguments, I have already rebutted them, yet he still makes them, as if he didn't read my arguments! Pro is in favour of the accesories of the game boy, not the game boy itself. He is not debating for what he is supposed to be. Because of such, you should all vote con, because he speaks of the DS, not the accessories you need to buy to make the DS even better than it already is.

VOTE CON.
Posted by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
@bubbatheclown, You obviously have no experience with gameboys....
Posted by PiercedPanda 3 years ago
PiercedPanda
Oh dear, I think i bit off more than i could chew
Posted by bubbatheclown 3 years ago
bubbatheclown
Let me see...
Graphics: DS wins in a heartbeat, especially the 3DS.
Connection with other games: DS wins once again.
Sound: The DS consoles had better quality of sound than the Game Boy consoles.
Games: This is disputable, but once again I would argue in favor of the DS. Pertaining to memorable games the Game Boys had MMBN, the first three Pokemon generations, a Fire Emblem game and Castlevania. The DS consoles had the other three Pokemon generations, the MMSF and MMZX series, a much better Fire Emblem game (Fire Emblem: Awakening), better Legend of Zelda and Metroid games, better Mario games, better Donkey Kong games...better everything, really.

I rest my case.
Vote Placed by urapai 3 years ago
urapai
PatriotPersonPiercedPandaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Great job on both sides! This was a very even debate, however I think con had better arguments that pro did not properly address. I agree with con when he says that pro only addressed the features of the gameboy, not the gameboy without any features. Also, con had more reliable sources.
Vote Placed by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
PatriotPersonPiercedPandaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro makes a strong argument for some unique features and nastalgia of game boys, but on balance I found that arguments for the built-in capacities of the DS, wider range of games, more advanced graphics/animation and gameplay, smoother pokemon games, and double screen capability out-weighed the printer, etc. Pro did a great job defending the gameboy as being valuable, but I found that the arguments ultimately weighed in Con's favor.