Game x Game (2)

(Open to anyone) I've made a first debate of this topic, and I liked it but at the same time I found it a bit messy, so I will put some more rules to organize it better.

In this debate, the con shall choose one of his favorite games and try to convince that his chosen game is better than mine; at the same time, I will be trying to convince that mine is better (please don't choose too simple games such as tetris)

My chosen game is
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Round 1: Acceptance (and tell the name of the game you've chosen)
Round 2: Opening statements (only promoting your game, not mentioning the opponent's game, 3000 characters max)
Round 3: Rebbutals
Round 4: Closing statements (4000 characters max)

===Games to be chosen===

Any game can be chosen as long as they aren't too simple (such as tetris) or too old (before 1998)

We will be judging the games alone, without any additional content (such as DLCs or MODs), and the chosen games shall not be compared on social contexts.

I accept! Great topic broski.

After much deliberation, I simply can't go past Diablo II.

(Note: I've made an exception and allowed my opponent to use the Lord of Destruction DLC on his arguments)
Thanks for accepting!

Very well, opening statement (3000 characters max)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is the tenth title of the Zelda series. It is an open world adventure game, from 2003. Even though there are more recent games from the same franchise, I've chosen The Wind Waker for these 4 main reasons:

- Sailing takes a big part in the game; it opens more doors to gameplay, such as featuring treasure charts and looking for them around the sea, having fun battle encounters such as the giant octopuses, or even things such as a ghost ship or minigames that are related to that atmosphere. These things thus many others make the game feel creative, unique and fun to explore.

- Gorgeous design: The cartoonish graphics were totally well made, as they represent naturally things such as the wind and they have a nice use of colors, they also feel beautiful and natural on weather conditions and day time. Windfall Island is one most beautiful RPG towns I ever saw.

- The world is balanced. I think it is important to mention that many open world games have worlds out of balance; whenever they are too big or too small, or whenever there are parts filled with important locations and others are empty. If you see the map of the world of The Wind Waker, you will see that there is an island on each square. Each of these islands have something in special, whether they will be part of a side quest or have a different NPC, or having monsters and chests with specific loots. The world isn't neither too big or too small either.

- Side quests and hidden stuff. Last but not least, the game is filled with many secrets and tasks from NPCs to make the world more alive. There are a nice ton of secrets throughout the game and the side quests are also fun, I won't deny that the amount of side quests that are about gathering items is a bit high, even though, most of the side quests are fun to play just as the game is.

I think that's it for my opening statement.

I played Diablo 2 back in my early teen years and I have fond memories of Doritos, Fanta and Diablo 2 on a Friday night. I chose it over other games I rate higher (Metal Gear Solid, GTA: Vice City…) because I think it has several objective points in favour of its greatness.

REPLAYABILITY POINT A (Blizzards support)
I must thank my opponent here for allowing me to use the Lord of Destruction Expansion Pack as part of my argument. It cannot be argued that Diablo 2 is not replayable; released in 2000 (with LoD released in 2001) people were still playing in large numbers up to and after the release of Diablo 3 last year, with servers still being upgraded and running strong all throughout this 12 year period. The continued interest partially stems from Blizzards continued investment in the game; they continued to release new content up until 2005 [Pandemonium Event, 1] and release patches for it up until 2011 [2].

With the two playing options (regular, hardcore), 7 classes with 3 skill trees each and a maximum level of 99 as well as so much gear to find, Diablo 2 has so much replayability. Admittedly, even though each class has around 21^30 different possible combinations of skills, only several are of use. Finding and customising those skills though was a challenge and experimenting with your character is a major draw point.

REPLAYABILITY POINT C (Randomly generated maps)
This is a short point, but very important. Diablo 2 had the art of randomly generated maps down pat. Sure, there were only 4 possible ways to get to The Summoner in the Arcane Sanctuary, but other areas it was impossible to know for certain exactly which way to go. While frustrating to people in a hurry (or those running away from a horde of skeleton) it meant that rushing through the game, especially at lower levels was never too easy.

While piles of corpses and giant demons may not be everyone’s cup of tea, for those of us who like that sort of thing Diablo 2 was a revelation. The environments were filled with blood, gore and attention to detail. I won’t forget the foreboding nature of the Forgotten Tower when I first came across it. Sure, it looks dated now but the environments (maybe not so much the repeatedly used character models) looked wicked 12 years ago.

That’s all I want to add for now, since I’m short on both time and characters.
Over to you, sir.

All right, time for rebuttals (note: we will be judging these games alone without using social contexts/scores as a criteria of which game is better)

C1: Zelda: The Wind Waker is a lot more beautiful than Diablo 2
The cartoonish graphics of TLoZ:TWW work totally smooth as you can see in the pictures below.

Zelda: The Wind Waker:
s://; alt="" /> s://; alt="" />

Diablo 2 graphics, on the other hand, are more dead (see the pictures below). Even if the game atmosphere allows that, they are still less appealing than the Wind Waker graphics.
Diablo 2:
s://; alt="" />

It is clear that if you are going to choose a game by it's graphics, you are going to choose Zelda: The Wind Waker.

C2: Zelda: The Wind Waker is more unique and appealing.

I won't deny that Diablo 2 is a great game. However, it doesn't go beyond a role playing game. Zelda: The Wind Waker is innovative by bringing a catchy gameplay involving sailing, which is a bit rare for a sandbox game. But it isn't only about that, because it was greatly explored, as it gives many unique minigames and things I've already mentioned such as treasure charts and beautiful locations. Mentioning the graphics again, they are also more artistic and unique.
s://; alt="" />

C3: Zelda: The Wind Waker has a better gameplay.

It is clear that TLoZ:TWW has a more comforting and accurate commands. Diablo 2 gameplay is can be a lot of fun too, but not so fun when you realize that it is a repetitive gameplay.

Zelda: The Wind Waker gameplay is a lot more varied, it has a great ton of secrets, puzzles and special events.

Crap, I have 6 minutes to write this, so I better just be very brief in my rebuttals.

Graphics do not make a good game. Take minecraft for example. Yes, a beautiful game can captivate, but it is not an objective measure of whether one game is better than another.

Wind Waker is not so unique. It fits the criteria of being a Zelda game. Progression through the story and dungeon play out exactly as all Zelda games do.

There is a reason that people continued to play Diablo 2 for a decade after it's release, despite other hack and slash games coming and going throughout that period while people moved onto newer Zelda games; Diablo 2 was replayability personified. That clearly says a lot for it's gameplay.

I'm sorry I can't say more but I have literally a few minutes to submit something.

I will draw a better conclusion in the final round.

Riferrari forfeited this round.

tvellalott forfeited this round.
Posted by Dovahkiin117 3 years ago
Don't ff Rif
Posted by Maikuru 3 years ago
This is an interesting match up of games.
Posted by tvellalott 3 years ago
Thank you. ^_^
Posted by Riferrari 3 years ago
alright, I will make an exception, feel free to use Lord of Destruction DLC.
Posted by tvellalott 3 years ago
So I can't talk about Lord of Destruction? Daaaaamn.