Reliable
debatinguser

Games and videos boosts students motivation for learning rather than create distractions

Reliable

Pro

There are 4 rounds in this debate.
Here's how it goes:
1st round - Acceptance
2nd round - Case
3rd round - Rebuttle
4th round - Final Focus
Up till 7,000 words in each round.
Thank you
debatinguser

Con

1. Almost all games and videos are created to be played for fun,not for education. They are usually violent so that they can lead the students to aggressive behaviors or physiological arousal. Like a coin has two sides, of course, there are some games and documentaries that give students lessons, motivating them. However, students are mostly more distracted by the games not really learning by the contents in the games.
2. Students are rarely motivated by playing games or watching videos. If we take a look at an actual class that involves using games to learn something, many pupils often go off the topic or start chatting, making fun of silly things during the process. They might have fun and enjoy their classes, however it won't actually help them learn what they're supposed to know. During the games/videos, they might learn the wrong values, which is completely different from teachers' purpose.

Therefore, I think games and videos create more distractions and don't boost students motivation for learning even though they are made for the purpose of education.
Reliable

Pro

Argument 1: Videos help students with work

Summary: Many people have posted videos on youtube and other sites like khan academy to help students learn what was not discussed in class. For example, khan academy personally has helped me out because of the clear explanation by the mentors.

Advantages:
1. Videos can be played over and over so even if you do not understand a certain topic you can rewind it and learn at your own pace. On the other hand one cannot rewind teacher's seminars, and many times these people fall behind
2. Good animating and diagrams can allow students to learn rapidly. Crash course is a learning channel on youtube with over 2.5 million subscribers. Using great animating, the crash course team turns learning into a fun experience, and makes their diagrams and explanations clear.

Impact: As a result, students get better grades and succeed.

Argument 2: Games allow mental development

Summary: Video games allow students to learn since they improve how the brain processes information. They allow students to increase reaction time and surprisingly develop responsibility.
Proof: TED talks Daphne Bavelier

Advantages
1. Shooting games allow people to keep track of things. A study on TED talks shows that people exposed to Call of Duty are able to keep track of more things more efficiently.
2. Video games increase attention. Daphne Bavelier made a study in which one must identify the color of certain words, but most of the words were names of colors that conflict with the color they actually have. As a result, action gamers fared much better than others. This increases attention of surroundings. (You can watch the video at http://www.ted.com...).

Impact: Children are more aware of their surroundings and more attentive

Rebuttal:
Let's look at your words carefully:

'Almost all games and videos are created to be played for fun,not for education. They are usually violent so that they can lead the students to aggressive behaviors or physiological arousal.'
- Do you have any proof that supports this fact. Even if they are created to play for fun, what is the impact?

'Students are rarely motivated by playing games or watching videos. If we take a look at an actual class that involves using games to learn something, many pupils often go off the topic or start chatting, making fun of silly things during the process. They might have fun and enjoy their classes, however it won't actually help them learn what they're supposed to know.'
-Do you have any proof of a classroom like this

I strongly urge a vote for PRO.
debatinguser

Con

Argument 1: Not all videos help students.
Games and videos are interesting so that they attract many people, making them to spend more and more time on the games/videos. This occurrence leads to addiction and let them gradually become dependent on games or videos. (Look more on http://www.education.com...)

Disadvantages
1. If they become dependent on games and videos while they learn something, they might not pay attention to what the teacher says in the class. Therefore, the importance of school is thought to be low, which can also cause a low attendance of students.
2. Learning extra things that pupils are curious about is beneficial; however, learning contents that they are supposed to accept in the class with games is not a good way. Also they can"t keep doing it in even when they're in an university so that they"d better improve their study skills.

Impact: Students have lack of independence on education, depending on other medias such as games/videos on the Internet.

Argument 2: Games and videos cause social isolation.
According to a website, dictionary.reference.com, the definition of social isolation is a state or process in which persons, groups, or cultures lose or do not have communication or cooperation with one another, often resulting in open conflict. When teenagers keep playing games or watching videos even for education purpose, they don"t interact with people in reality. As the time spending on the Internet increases, their social life time decreases.

Disadvantages
1. There is a probability that games and videos motivate some students rather than create distractions. However, there is a more significant part in their lives: how to communicate with others, social life. If they don"t have this ability, they won"t survive in a society.
2. Most people watch videos on Youtube or play games "alone" because they don"t need anyone around. They usually get used to being alone, forgetting about cooperation with other people.

Rebuttal:
1. You can find out the details that prove that games can they can lead the students to aggressive behaviors or physiological arousal on https://glinton.wordpress.com...
( More: Barlett, C.P., Anderson, C.A., & Swing, E.L. (2009). Video game effects confirmed, suspected, and speculative: A review of the evidence. Simulation & Gaming, 40(3), pp. 377-403.
Sax, L. (2007). Boys adrift: The five factors driving the growing epidemic of unmotivated boys and underachieving young men. New York: Basic Books.
Stansbury, M. (December 18, 2009). Can gaming change education? eSchool News. Accessed December 18, 2009 at http://www.eschoolnews.com....)
2. It"s my experience that I"ve seen many classes like that in many schools. (I"ve gone to three different schools because I moved twice in my life)

There"s one thing that needs more explanation in your arguments.
"Impact: Children are more aware of their surroundings and more attentive
-Is there any proof that supports awareness of surroundings in reality, not in games?
Reliable

Pro

I'm sorry I cannot type much more since I have things to do.

Final Focus: Most of my arguments still stand. I will just answer my rebuttal and state mine

Rebuttal:
Well I have proof that games do help since games and videos have helped me learn concepts

This is the age of augmented reality. These videos teach kids things that teachers cannot explain in class since you can rewind them. Why we go to school is because we want to learn, and these videos elaborate on what can be learned.

I cannot write more.
Now, I urge everyone for a strong vote for PRO.
debatinguser

Con

I don't also have much time to write more because I have other things to do.
I'll just restate my opinion. Games and videos have more negative effects on students because they are not only distracting but also cause some problems such as social isolation or aggressive behaviors. Also they can help pupils react or think quickly in the games/videos, but not really in reality. Also asking teachers and participating in class debates are better ways than rewinding the videos on the Internet.
Posted by Reliable 4 months ago
Reliable
I don't remember doing this debate lol
Posted by PowerPikachu21 4 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Why was round 2 skipped?
Posted by footballchris561 2 years ago
footballchris561
Games and videos (TV, movies) often set unrealistic standards. Now this can be a good thing and a bad thing. Sometime this standard, even if unrealistic, can motivate someone to be better at whatever and be a learning benefit. EX; "watching scrubs made me want to be a better doctor." or "Playing portal made me more interested in puzzle solving and increased my logical though process". Now it really depends on what game which person and how motivated they are. You can knock down 9 seasons of scrubs and beat both portal games on your week off of school and It didn't motivate you or do anything at all. Oh but you were too busy to finish your homework. It can really go both ways. This debate is basically a toss up.
Posted by Daniel_Nemes 2 years ago
Daniel_Nemes
Con has no proof that violent video games cause violent tend acids and arouse violent nature.
Posted by Reliable 2 years ago
Reliable
Changed the resolution.
Posted by Reliable 2 years ago
Reliable
There are a lot of cons to this also such as the influence of violent games and schools, how they are distractions, and more.
Posted by TheCalmCanadian 2 years ago
TheCalmCanadian
Not true, because con could show an instance where video games effected the education of children through distracting them of their standard studies. Not only that but also the fact that video games focused around the core of education will not be educational as children will not be able to retain information through forms of entertainment which they do not find entertaining.
Posted by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 2 years ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Who would go against this? All pro would have to do is show 1 instance where videos helped kids learn so nobody will probably accept this :/