Games do not cause people to become violent.

Started: 10/31/2014 Category: Games

There have been an increasing number of school shootings. People have been linking video games to violence, which apparently causes these school shootings. But I am here to prove that video games do not make people violent. I am awaiting a con.

Yes games don't directly cause you to commit a violent action but they can motivate or influence you into doing it.

For example if someone watches a lot of moves with sexual content they will be more persuaded to do sexual activities.

If you are around friends that smoke all the time it could result in you smoking as well and it has resulted in some smoking.

Another example is that if someone is around people who cus they will be influenced to cus..

Games do cause some people do become violent just not everyone. Any object influences someone in a way anything influences some in a way. I am just saying that games can cause violence since they expose people and kids to violence. They let them know what it is and inform them on what it looks like. A good analogy for this is if someone watches porn. Yes porn doesn't always cause rape and sexual activities it doesn't influence some people to do it, same logic can be applied to video games.

I agree with you that there is influence involving games, but unfortunately even that can be easily avoided through use of reasoning skills.

Some people already have violence in them, from family issues, ect. Like the shooter that killed innocents at Sandy Hook. He played violent games, but he already had violence in him in the first place.

Many kids and teens know the difference between fantasy and reality, and will not be easily influenced by violent games, nor they will commit acts of violence.

I understand your use of analogies, but some analogies do not agree or fit in with the subject.

I will stand by my point. Games don't cause or influence violence. Past events or influence by other factors cause violence.

Observation: Since the resolution is "games do not cause people to become violent" All I have to prove is that in some cases and some studies violence happens from video games

I will just respond to his one and only argument.. which is literally just video games don't cause violence well I have proof it has.
On April 20, 1999, two seniors walked into their Colorado high school carrying assault rifles, and they opened fire. They shot dozens of people, killing 12 students and one teacher, and the nation was floored. School shootings had happened before, but this was a new scope of carnage, and in the ensuing search for answers it came out the shooters had spent a lot of time playing violent video games [source: Ward].

Since then, in the wake of each new, senseless massacre, the entertainment proclivities of the shooters are one of the first things reported by the press. The 20-year-old who killed 20 first-graders and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut in 2012 played violent video games. So did the 24-year-old who shot dozens of people in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater that same year [source: Jaccarino].

So yeah these are some examples of cases from video games. Video games increase the chance of someone killing another person because they learn more about violence and tactics that could be used against another person. Movies fit here as well violent or sexual movies can result in someone doing violent or sexual actions earlier. I am not saying violent video games 100% of the time result in killings, if that was true America would be a war zone, I am just saying playing video games can cause some people to become violent and as I will provide in a second the violence doesn't have to be a shooting.

Here are some studies/examples of video games causeing certain forms of violence.

Increasing reports of bullying can be partially attributed to the popularity of violent video games. The 2008 study Grand Theft Childhood reported that 60% of middle school boys who played at least one Mature-rated game hit or beat up someone, compared to 39% of boys that did not play Mature-rated games

Playing violent video games increases aggressive behavior and arousal. [27] A 2009 study found that it takes up to four minutes for the level of aggressive thoughts and feelings in children to return to normal after playing violent video games. It takes five to ten minutes for heart rate and aggressive behavior to return to baseline. Video games that show the most blood generate more aggressive thoughts. When blood is present in video games, there is a measurable increase in arousal and hostility.

Conclusion: I agree that this violence can be avoided but what you have to understand is that it still causes killings to happen for some people. It's kind of like with smoking. Some people end up smoking if they hang around friends who smoke but others can resist peer pressure. I am not saying remove video games I am just trying to prove that for some people it increases violence and results in violent actions. I agree it can be avoided but all I have to prove on my side that video games can/have caused some to be violent. Also video games can cause some people to feel happiness by causing pain to theirs as well. Video games can result in more knowledge on violence and influences in certain areas just like movies. Movies and video games are almost the same thing just people play the video games. Both can influence the mind and actions.

commonsenseguy forfeited this round.

as you can see my opponent has surrendered vote me for conduct.
Posted by TehDot 1 year ago
You do realize that you didn't actually prove anything, right? Connecting the individuals involved in those instances of violence to violent video games by simply saying "they played violent video games" does not mean that they were motivated by these games. By that logic I could say "They ate at McDonald's, so McDonald's promotes violence". Unfortunate that the OP surrendered so quickly.