Mikal
FanboyMctroll

Gaming is a sport

FanboyMctroll has forfeited round #4.
Started: 3/28/2017 Category: Games
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Mikal

Pro

Resolution - Gaming is a sport

Gaming - The action or practice of playing video games.

Sport - An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Structure

First round is acceptance and no new arguments in the last round

Rules

1. No forfeits
2. Any citations or foot/endnotes must be provided in the text of the debate
3. No new arguments in the final round
4. No trolling
5. No semantics
6. My opponent accepts all definitions and waives his/her right to add definitions
7. Violation of any of these rules or of any of the R1 set-up merits a loss.
8. No "K's" on the topic.
FanboyMctroll

Con

I will debate that gaming is not considered a sport, but a leisure activity
Mikal

Pro

Gaming or Esports by definition is considered a sport.

(1) What are the requirements for something to be considered a sport

Typically most sports share similar qualities. They require physical activity, strategy, are competitive based, require reflexes, require training to improve, etc. No sport is required to have all of these but can pull from a few of these in order to be classified as a sport.

What my adversary is going to try and do is paint a picture where Esports does not require you to use much physical activity. Meaning he's going to lump sports like baseball, football, and wrestling and use that as an objective gauge for what should be used to be classified as a sport. Imagine this objective gauge as a bar. For him to do this he must show the exact measure and classifications for what should be considered a sport. Meaning if physical contact is a requirement, then why is running a sport? This extends throughout that line of logic for, however, he chooses to apply it. If just the use of physical activity is a requirement then why is pool, shooting, and other things that require primarily reflexes sports? For him to classify sports in that way he must show that all other sports that are considered sports fall under whatever categorical application that he is going to apply objectively across the board.

(2) Why Esports are Sports

Once we dispell the notion that sports require physical contact or a great deal of physical activity, we can clearly see that Esports are sports. Sports that are objectively considered sports that work on reflexes and not much physical activity are pool, shooting, hunting, etc and so forth[1]. I could list a lot but it would be a waste of time, these are mostly obvious and shooting is an Olympic sport so we can assume it's universally considered to be a sport and the measure that this is gauged as a sport should be applied across the board.

Esports require you to use strategy (which is one thing most sports have in common), reflexes (which is another thing most sports have in common) and even can require you to activate and practice with muscle memory (which most sports also require). Use this sample as a way to prove this as a fact [2]. The more you try to click on the dot the easier it gets. Over time your muscles recognize movements when you are trying to flick the cursor on the dot, and you are able to respond with faster movements with a motion called flicking. Gaming most certainly requires muscle memory and every shooter invokes this. Esports all requires a whole new level of strategy and critical thinking. Being able to make the right decisions on the spot when you are under pressure is also another common characteristic a lot of sports share in common.

While gaming and Esports are not a traditional physical contact sport, it does invoke muscle memory, critical thinking, strategizing, and meets requirements that would label it as a sport. Not all sports are bash or brute, some require timing, mental fortitude, and sheer reflexes and as I mentioned earlier some of these sports such as shooting are already classified as sports even on Olympic levels. So if we apply the same standard objectively, we must consider Esports an actual sport otherwise it's being biased.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] https://scratch.mit.edu...
FanboyMctroll

Con

Gaming is not considered a sport because it's no different then watching TV, knitting or reading a book. There is limited finger, hand movement required and there is no physical requirements needed to do the activity. A 400lb person can be a gamer, there is no physical test required to sit and click a mouse while staring at a screen. Most sports require some type of conditioning to get in shape, people train for running marathons, hockey, baseball etc etc. The Olympics which is a competition of sports does not include gaming as a sporting event.

Gaming does not require physical exertion required in all sports, it's more of a mental task, such as chess and other strategy games which aren't called sports. Gaming is a popular pastime not an event of competing on a field or court.

Gaming is a competition not a sport. The people who game are not athletes, anyone can get into gaming, Drinking unlimited amounts of Redbull and staring at a screen for 12 hours a day does not constitute an athlete. Gaming is just an activity like playing monopoly or checkers. Maybe that is why when they refer to competitive gaming they say ESports and not just sport.
Mikal

Pro

Sadly there is not much to respond to. My adversary left most of my main contentions untouched. His only claim is that it is strictly a mental sport which I already contested preemptively in the first round when I showed how muscle memory is a huge thing in games (especially shooters). But not only that, that mental strategy and planning is synonymous with most sports and that all we have to do is break down the fact that sports require physical contact to achieve that.

(1) My adversary gave no clear outline or argument for what constitutes a sport as a sport
(1A) The only thing he has stated is that being physical is what he *thinks* a sport is because in short "fat people can play video games"
(1B) so if we do assume this is his outline, then he fails to refute sports like pool or shooting where almost anyone regardless of their weight can play it. It just requires a totalitarian ownership of one's mind and fast reflexes which almost anyone regardless of their weight can achieve.

The only way for my adversary to win at this point is to show that his criteria for what constitutes a sport(which is not clearly defined at all) is objectively accurate and can be applied across the sport

Since shooting and pool are sports and since they have the same characteristics as people who game, we can assume that gaming is a sport and dismiss his assertions that are founded without evidence.
FanboyMctroll

Con

My adversary keeps insisting that gaming is a sport, but the day I see watching TV considered a sport will be the day hell freezes over. Playing games has no muscle memory for pushing buttons, why don't we call cooking a sport then.

A sport requires physical exertion, there is no exertion in pushing buttons repetitively, Also gaming is not an athletic activity, you don't need to be an athlete to sit in front of a screen.

The day they cancel gym class in school and instead introduce gaming 101 as a physical education sport then maybe I will consider it a sport, but until then gamers are not athletes, more like nerds wanting to be recognized as sport athletes. Let's see how fast that that obese gaming champ runs the 40 yard combine, with those nimble muscle mass fingers.

By the way maybe we should make texting a sport, some people can really text really quick with those thumbs.
Mikal

Pro

This debate is a clear choice. Con has refused to answer any of my contentions or offer rebuttals for any of the points brought up. The only thing he has states or responded with is games do not require muscle memory. I showed an example that anyone can use that even shows how your wrist and hand actually can acquire muscle memory. He has only made an assertion with no evidence so this can be dismissed.

Muscle memory is learned through repetitive actions and motor learning. Doing a certain motion or action until you can almost do it without thinking. Muscle memory works in sports like weight lifting and basketball but is most certainly used in games as well with wrist flicking motions.

Overall my adversary has answered no points I've brought up and I have no reason to expand on anything I've said , due to the lack of a response
Posted by tatyanabyars 3 months ago
tatyanabyars
I agree with the con side of this argument, online gaming should not be considered a sport. And the online gamers who spend hours playing, are not considered athletes. To be an athlete involved in sports, one must exert not only mental activity, but physical activity as well. For most sports hours of training, physical exertion, conditioning, fitness, and mastery of the sport is required to be a top player in the sport. Little muscle movement and repetitive finger jabs do not constitute or prove any equivalence to a sport such as tennis, hockey, track, or soccer. Gaming is competitive, like sports, but gaming is more of a competition. You don"t see online gamers receiving full rides to college, or competing in the World Cup, Olympics, or Super Bowl.
Posted by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
Cowardice forfeit by Con.
Posted by datGUUYY 1 year ago
datGUUYY
We know people are still going to give con points... :(
Posted by BLAHthedebator 1 year ago
BLAHthedebator
Tbh I wanted to read interesting viewpoints on the matter but con's case is weak and largely drawn from emotion. I agree with pro and understand why someone would be con on this but con's case is generic and simply does not uphold the BoP of what constitutes a sport and why gaming is not a sport thus. I know this sounds like an RFD but just my opinion.
Posted by MasterFyrewood 1 year ago
MasterFyrewood
Why Cant Gaming be a sport?
Posted by Jangle_WankFred 1 year ago
Jangle_WankFred
Chess is considered a sport so why can't gaming?