bubbles_brianna
XimenBao

Gangs are a Seriouse Problem

XimenBao

bubbles_brianna

Pro

ok, this is my 2nd debate so here it goes.

Bang Bang! Hey do want some of that funny stuff?
Oh did you hear about little Johnny down the street? Yea he got shot up yesterday! What about jenny? She went to be a prostitute last week and she died 2 days later by Shady.
These are just some of the things you would hear walking down Colfax ave. Denver.
Gangs are a serious problem her in America. They cause corruption and well just plain trouble. I will walk you through my points and you decide if I changed your mind about gangs.
According to gangsorus.com 90% of gangs are thought to be juveniles. That's a big percent of youth. Just think that's 9 out of 10 students that would be gang member. Colorado is home to 12,741 confirmed gang members who are affiliated with 110 street gangs according to rocky mountain news. 33 agents work to develop argumintive cases against the most violent criminal gang enterprises operating in the metro area. They are working on a 1 million dollar grant to fix up places where gangs cause most damage.
This is what leads me to my 2nd point.
Gangs cause crime which leads to harm. Crimes such as vandalism, burglary, jump-rape, ect… These are just some of the crime that happens with gangs. According to the Denver post article "Aurora keeping tabs on Gangs" Aurora is home to 1,460 known gang members and 36 active gangs. While most gang related crimes aren't tracked, 16 homicides within the last year were gang related the cbi reported. With this I know someone who was a gang member from one of the most known gangs around called the crips. I personally surveyed her and these are some of the questions and answers.
What was it like being in a gang? Quote: Fun and scary at sometimes but mostly confusing.
How many times a day did you hear gun shots? Quote: All day and all night depends on where you where at!
What's the worst thing that's happened to you? Quote: Well there has been several things such as jump rape, people being shot in front of me, and the worst of all is almost getting my tongued ripped out.
What's the worst thing about a gang? Quote: Losing yourself as a person, losing your good personality and turning into a criminal.
And last what's the worst thing you have ever done? Quote: Shooting into a crowd and not knowing if I shot someone!
This is what really goes on in a gang. My mom was the one in a gang. She was the one who answered all the questions.
Someone will come up to you and ask you if you want to be part of a gang. They will tell you gangs are good. Gangs are not. They may give children a home but they set the example of killing is alright. Well we all know it's not. Just think you're a little 9 year old and you're in a gang and one of the members coming up to you and saying "Here take this gun to school and shoot anyone who talks bad about you. Well 89% of children will do it because their gang members show it's alright.
This is what leads me to my 3rd point
Members of gangs are willing to die to protect their gang, especially in defense of their colors and neighborhood. That is not right for anyone to be willing to die for someone else especially over colors. For example of "Hey you want to take my purple crayon away I dare you too. I'd rather die than have my purple crayon taken away." See how stupid some gang members are. Gangs are willing to try any kind of drug they can get their hands on. In fact my mom tried every kind you can think of, and it affected her body. She is always in and out of the hospital just last Friday because of all the long term affects that drugs left on her. To clear this up she does not do drugs anymore. Just to make that clear.
For the reasons that gangs cause crime and crime causes harm I urge a positive idea that gangs are a serious problem in America.
XimenBao

Con

At first I was hesitant to take this debate, as it's quite self evident that gangs have negative effects on society, so where was the debatable proposition?

After giving it some thought, I've decided that the debatable point lies in the word "serious." I grant pro that gangs are a problem, but are they a serious problem? As pro has declined to define either 'serious' or 'problem' I will take the opportunity to do so now.

I define serious as "excessive or impressive in quality, quantity, extent, or degree [1]."

I define problem as "a source of perplexity, distress, or vexation [2]."

Thus the resolution that Pro must affirm and I must negate can be interpreted as "Gangs are an excessive source of distress because of how extensive and numerous they are."

I will be using this interpretation in this round, but I am open to Pro using the provided definitions to interpret it in another way.

My argument is that the extent to which gangs exist in the United States of America should not be a source of excessive distress.

Pro has made essentially two contentions, first that gangs membership is extremely common among youth and second that gang membership leads to crime and drug use. In addressing each of these contentions, we will find that gangs are not a cause for excessive distress.

Contention One: Gang prevalence

Pro has misinterpreted the statistics here. Her statistics state that 90% of gang members are youth. She then argues that this means 90% of youth are in gangs. Apart from being obviously overstated, this is fallacious reasoning. If the players in the NBA are 100% men, that doesn't mean that 100% of men are in the NBA.

So how many gang members are their in America and how distressed should we be? Well, as to the first, we don't know. There is no consistent definition of "gang" or "youth gang" used in research and as a result, questions such as whether residents perceive a youth gang problem don't always result in a clearly interpretable result [3]. Counting actual gang members relies on irregular surveys, often of law enforcement estimates. In 1991, during a high point of gang activity, one survey estimated 249,324 gang members, of whom 46,359 were actual criminals [4]. Since gang membership has declined since the mid 1990s[5] we are now faced with less than 46,359 criminal gang members.

The population of the US is about 308 million [6], this means that criminal gang members account for a 100th of a percent (.001%) of America's population. While neither Pro nor I have drawn a bright-line for what proportion of the population would be excessive, I feel confident that .001% of it is clearly non-excessive.

As gang prevalence is non-excessive, our distress regarding it should not be excessive, therefore we should not consider gangs a serious problem on this basis.

Contention Two: Gangs lead to crime and drug use.

Granted. However, gang members were only identified as the perpetrators of 6% of violent crimes between 1993-2003 [7]. While that number would ideally be 0%, it is not cause for excessive distress. Additionally, the victims of gang violence are usually other gang members [8] which, while unfortunate, is not as distressing for those of us not participating in gang activity.

As for drug use, that is largely a consequence of drug prohibition, but I will leave that debate aside unless Pro chooses to make it a voting issue.

Conclusion.

There is no reason for us to be particularly distressed about gangs. They comprise a small portion of the population, commit a small portion of crime, and usually target each other. Thus we do not need to be excessively distressed about them, meaning they don't fit the definition of a serious problem.

[1]http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2]http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3]http://www.ncjrs.gov...
[4]http://www.ncjrs.gov...
[5]http://www.encyclopedia.com...
[6]http://www.census.gov...
[7]http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov...
[8]http://www.usc.edu...
bubbles_brianna

Pro

bubbles_brianna forfeited this round.
XimenBao

Con

My opponent has forfeited. Please take that into account when voting.
bubbles_brianna

Pro

bubbles_brianna forfeited this round.
XimenBao

Con

XimenBao forfeited this round.
bubbles_brianna

Pro

bubbles_brianna forfeited this round.
XimenBao

Con

XimenBao forfeited this round.
Posted by debatingturtle 7 years ago
debatingturtle
Ah come on you have to stick to it Bubbles. It doesn't matter if Bao is super good, you can still at least try. I knew I had lost my debate against him after the second round and I stuck to it. Forfeiting is just a plain bad idea because debating against him would help you, it would educational for you to debate Bao.
Vote Placed by debatingturtle 7 years ago
debatingturtle
bubbles_briannaXimenBaoTied
Vote Placed by XimenBao 7 years ago
XimenBao
bubbles_briannaXimenBaoTied