Deathgodxiii
grayron

Gangster Rap should be banned

Deathgodxiii

Deathgodxiii

Pro

This is my first time starting and as well as being in a debate at this or any website. My topic is Gangster Rap should be banned. There are many gangster rappers that sing about sex, drugs and violence in a harsh language.. As many teenagers listen to the genre of music, they are being influenced in aggressive behavior as possibly joining gangs and committing acts of vandalism through marking one's nickname or gang name on another's property. Gangster Rap, indirectly promotes these acts through their lyrics.
grayron

Con

I accept your challenge.

1) Gangster Rap shouldn't be banned because of freedom of speech.

2) Sure it promote sex and violence but so do a lot of movies, video games, and other forms of music. How far does one must go to get rid of sex, drugs, and violence themes?

3) Sex, drugs, and violence are realities. Music relies on themes of human reality.
Deathgodxiii

Pro

"1) Gangster Rap shouldn't be banned because of freedom of speech."

It is certainly their freedom of speech, but I am stating that Gangster Rap should be banned due to its strong influence in corrupting the behaviors of teenagers. Those that watch Gangster Rap Videos for approximately minimally 14 hours a week tend to have more destructive behaviors and odds of violence, and sexual behavior become more likely such as hitting a teacher becomes 3 times more likely, getting arrested becomes 2 and half more times likely, and they would be 2 times more likely to have multiple sex partners. Should there be Gangster Rap on children's television networks to promote the artist's freedom of speech? A mother would certainly not allow such profanity to get to their children's minds but unfortunately it has spread like an infection and seeped into the streets in forms of gangs, murders, gang and drug transactions.

"2) Sure it promote sex and violence but so do a lot of movies, video games, and other forms of music. How far does one must go to get rid of sex, drugs, and violence themes?"

Sex, drugs, and violence themes have been here for a long while and will most likely be around longer than you are I. As Gangster rappers sing they express how hardcore they are as they deal drugs, kill others, and rob another. This tends to send a message to one's mind that it is alright to do those things because their idol sings about such things. I am not saying that I want to eliminate sex, drugs, and violence themes which of course will be an impossible feat. But I would like to eliminate gangs from causing terror and fear into the hearts of caring parents that do not want to be devastated by the fact that their son or daughter had been shot by a gang member who just chose to end their life. The same gang member whom shot the other would most certainly have listened to one of 50 Cent's songs, and possibly have an album of his.

"3) Sex, drugs, and violence are realities. Music relies on themes of human reality."

I do know they are realities, but wouldn't you want to eliminate any realities that are harmful to society. As the teenagers buy a Gangster Rap album and their younger sibling sees them and hears them chanting the lyrics they would of course would try and get into the genre of music due to it being violent and of course little kids love violence because they do not truly comprehend what it is like to actually kill or harm someone. So as they do this, they really get involved in the genre of music and as their mind develops in actually thinking this is okay because they are becoming feared, by which they turn out to think that being feared equals dominance and respect. They listen to the lyrics and later they act out what he/she listens to, acting out "reality" getting involved in a gang.
grayron

Con

1) "It is certainly their freedom of speech, but I am stating that Gangster Rap should be banned due to its strong influence in corrupting the behaviors of teenagers."

The idea of freedom of speech was made for the purpose of protecting things like this. If corrupting behavior is the argument then people can argue that Rush Limbaugh must be banned and so they can asked to banned video games and movies. Gangster rap isn't really forced. People have the decision and parents to listen to the music. Gangster rap does influence bad behavior but so does so much other things. Banning this will lead to more bans that you might not consider.

2) "Should there be Gangster Rap on children's television networks to promote the artist's freedom of speech? A mother would certainly not allow such profanity to get to their children's minds but unfortunately it has spread like an infection and seeped into the streets in forms of gangs, murders, gang and drug transactions."

The beauty of freedom of speech is that people don't have to listen to other's speech. Disney will not want to put gangster rap on its shows because its audience hates that stuff. The audience will likely leave the network.

Gangs, murders, and drug transactions happened before the gangster rap. Gangster rap may make this more popular but the problem is caused by outside influences. I play Halo and don't kill people like many A students in school have Pink Floyd's "Another brick in the wall" on their ipods. The drug revolution happened in the 70s making a sudden increase in drug use. Drugs affect poor people the most. Blacks were mostly poor.

3) "I am not saying that I want to eliminate sex, drugs, and violence themes which of course will be an impossible feat.

But I would like to eliminate gangs from causing terror..."
Gangster rap isn't any worse at promoting sex, drugs, and violence than rock music. Rock music was the original promoter of this stuff.

Getting rid of gangster rap will not get rid of gangs in these neighborhoods. Gangs always exist where the illegal trade is. That trade is normally, in the United States, drugs. The culture came before the music.

4) "do know they are realities, but wouldn't you want to eliminate any realities that are harmful to society."

Banning gangster rap will not get rid of the reality. I will say this that we put children in a glass bubble. Protect them from the idea of violence and addiction. They need to know this reality before they enter the real world.

Banning something doesn't get rid of the need only cultural changes do. Gangster rap will just become another underground market like drugs and prostitution.
Deathgodxiii

Pro

"Gangs, murders, and drug transactions happened before the gangster rap. Gangster rap may make this more popular but the problem is caused by outside influences. I play Halo and don't kill people like many A students in school have Pink Floyd's "Another brick in the wall" on their ipods. The drug revolution happened in the 70s making a sudden increase in drug use. Drugs affect poor people the most. Blacks were mostly poor."

By popularizing it, children get in contact with it by their family members and/or older siblings. Getting in contact with it at a young age will of course corrupt the child's developing mind and would make the child incapable of sufficiently telling the good from the bad of things because he would have been hearing about shooting, stabbing, brawling, sex, and crime at such a young age. Yes they do need to know that these realities do very exist in the world, but there are certain ages that they need to hear about these when their minds are capable of comprehending. By banning this more aggressive genre of music, it would be much more easier for a child to not come in contact with it. On the side there will be 2 videos, from top to bottom it begins with Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall", then 50 Cent's "*%#! You". Unfortunately I was unable to post the lyrics due to 50 Cent's constant use of foul language, so I posted up the videos. Now, which one would a child most understand? I myself would be able to understand the words like "#%*! You" compared to "education" if I was a child, my younger brother would most likely agree..... He just did. But, I still did not understand 50 Cent's song through the lyrics nor through the music video. But I would say this..... I like the background images from 50 Cent's music video from 2:00 - 2:05, what a wonderful image of not promoting guns.

As guns, drugs, and violence becomes more popularized by Gangsta Rap, more and more youths become involved in the world of gang violence and I just do not want the record companies and artists to constantly make money off of this.

I would like to thank my opponent for putting up a very difficult debate, but I would like to apologize for not posting my argument up sooner for now I do not have enough time to reply to all of your arguments. I sincerely apologize for my very late timing.
grayron

Con

grayron forfeited this round.
Posted by tstvortex 5 years ago
tstvortex
I'm sorry Deathgodxiii, but your argument is weak and ill conceived.

Ignoring, of course that your entire premise is centered around saving humanity from itself by attempting to remove an music genre based on the assumption that toddlers and braindead teens will feel the urge to massacre us all in our sleep at the mere mention of violence, how do you even police such a law?

How would you legally define what you call "Gangsta Rap"? Does this mean that "other" forms of rap are okay due to *your* standards.

What if the artist *ISN'T* in a gang? Or - heavens FORBID - isn't even Black?!

And then what punishments and fines would be applicable?!
Surely we could go back to an old favorite - Lynching!

No, lets get our heads out of the clouds, shall we?
Posted by always_rara 6 years ago
always_rara
first of all im a black student and i listen to gangsta rap all the time and i have not killed, planned on killing, or even thought about killing anyone. i personally feel that grayron should have won because deathgodxii is STUPID. no one forces kids my age to do anything. if they chose to do them its because they wanted. no one holds a gun to your head and tells you to do anything you dont want to. i personally feel offended by the things deathgodxii stated because hes blaming black people for the things happening today when white people have influenced the same thing.
Posted by MidnightRambler 8 years ago
MidnightRambler
I totally and utter disagree with Deathgodxii....he/she is totally missing the point....Like in every generation there are genres of music that people feel corrupt the youth of today....its a generational thing it comes and goes...he/she talks about it increasing violence and sexual activity but does he know that the Rolling Stones were accused of the same thing back in the 60's....they were constantly found with drugs and multiple groupies.....and now look at them....they are old men who are part of the good old institution of rock n roll.... Would you want their music banned to?

In the 70's Black Sabbth were accused of having 'black lyrics'...and even accused of prompting two teenagers to kill themselfs in america....but this is rubbish.....today we dont bat an eye lid at sabbaths lyrics....

In the 80's it was motely crew and Metallica...and the 1990's and 2000's its rap....its just what kids want to hear....its aggressive...some can relate to it......people dont want to be told what they can and cant listen to....plus its stupid to assume that just because someone listens to rap they are going to commit a crime.,...i am a 21 year old white british man from a middle class family....i am listening to 2-pac now and i have no desire to pick up my AK and kill some 'motherfuckers'.....or go and get me some hoes...its just good old aggressive music.....
Posted by Epicism 8 years ago
Epicism
*WARNING Personal Opinion*
I'll make the case Deathgodxiii should have used.

First I will define Gangster; person who wears pants too low and likes shiny things.
Second I offer a definition for Rap; <R>idiculously <A>nnoying <P>oetry

==========
Contention 1
===========

Now I will offer my case

Gangster Rap should be banned on the grounds of: it sucks.

I urge a Pro ballot.

Posted by GeoLaureate8 8 years ago
GeoLaureate8
This is ridiculous. Banning a music genre? People can say whatever they want and distribute on a mass scale. I don't care if they say "Kill, kill, kill" repeatedly, it's their right. If you are persuaded by a gangsta rapper to act more aggressively, THEN YOU HAVE A WEAK MIND AND HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF. If an impressionable young mind is hearing this, then it is the parents responsibility to raise them. I personally believe that the music industry is over saturated with mindless rap about wealth, women, and violence, and is suppressing the talented, intelligent underground rappers.
Posted by Deathgodxiii 8 years ago
Deathgodxiii
(i just love the use of the term "gangster rap")

are you serious?? why is that?
Posted by rofflewoffles 8 years ago
rofflewoffles
i just love the use of the term "gangster rap"
Posted by Deathgodxiii 8 years ago
Deathgodxiii
omg I saw that one video it was like very interesting and I was really into it because I was researching this topic for any arguments that I could use and well lol nice beat but I still dislike it.
Posted by aeopimp92 8 years ago
aeopimp92
look up gangster rap made me do it by ice cube should explain everything
Posted by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
Favorite'd
Vote Placed by Epicism 8 years ago
Epicism
DeathgodxiiigrayronTied