Poortimmy
Spaztoid

Gardasil vaccination encourages sexual promiscuity

Poortimmy

Pro

The vaccination intended to cure cervical cancer actually encourages sexually active youth to practice unprotected sex; raising the risk of pregnancy and sti's.
Spaztoid

Con

Thanks to my opponent for posting this debate.

As Con and the challenged, the burden of proof is placed upon my opponent to provide support to his claim prior to the debate proceeding. I therefore await the next round from my opponent.
Poortimmy

Pro

Good call.

The burden of proof is in the context. The vaccine targets an sti, which would otherwise be protected from by wearing condoms. Condoms are the safest form of protection (save abstinence), and administering a vaccine to protect against an sti develops a false sense of security. In short, one would ideally not contract hpv if they adhered to safe sex practices in the first place, and without the risk of hpv one would be more inclined to have sex without a condom, increasing risk to other infections and unwanted pregnancy.

As well sexual knowledge varies between individuals, sexual educations differ between schools and not everyone has access to the same curriculum. These inconsistencies lead to misconceptions about disease contraction, protection and infectiousness.
Spaztoid

Con

My opponent has presented a well reasoned argument, however the definition of the item in question defeats his argument.

A Vaccine, (In action form Vaccination) as defined by [1] medterms.com, is "[an] Injection of a killed microbe in order to stimulate the immune system against the microbe, thereby preventing disease."

To this end, a vaccine must be proactively administered to have an effect. This prevents its use as a "Plan B," making it difficult to use as justification for sexual promiscuity.

Furthermore, even without the "Plan B" argument, a vaccination must be actively sought out. This means that the vaccinated individual would be aware of its uses. In [2] GARDASIL's case, the vaccination only protects against four of the known 100 types of HPV, the virus that causes cervical cancer, meaning that it does not protect against most of the health concerns related to sex. This means people treated with it would be aware of its uses, and know to use safe sex as protection.
Poortimmy

Pro

Unfortunately all my opponent achieves in his rebuttal is two definitions and a horrific generalization on the psychology of vaccinations.

The 20 or so vaccinations a child receives from birth to 6 years old are entirely non consensual and lack any form of free will. Furthermore, gardasil is recommended to be given to girls as young as seven - a practice obscenely devoid of consent. With confidence one may assert these 7-13 year olds are not actively seeking out std vaccinations.

As well, with regards to sexual knowledge/plan b - to actively get vaccinated for std prevention there is a preconceived awareness that hpv can be contracted without condoms, and if one is protecting themselves from an infection contracted by unsafe sexual practices they are doing so with the intent to engage in unsafe encounters with the knowledge they will not get hpv. Thus exposing themselves to other sti's and pregnancy.

Space is short, but that's a good start.
Spaztoid

Con

Spaztoid forfeited this round.
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
(I just realized I use "This means" or similar saying far too frequently.)
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
Sorry, I didn't have room to include my sources. Here they are

[1] http://www.medterms.com...

[2] http://www.gardasil.com...
Posted by Poortimmy 6 years ago
Poortimmy
delightful, debate away.
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
Actually, I do have time, or rather I do now.
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
Oooh, I want to see how this turns out. If only I had time to actually take it.