430miletime
wolf24

Gary Johnson is a better presidential candidate than Trump or Hilary.

wolf24 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

430miletime

Pro

First round will be acceptance and opening statement. Good luck to whoever my opponent will be in this debate. Please no trolls and use links to back up your evidence when needed. Rounds 2 through 4 will be rebuttals and making new points. Round 5 will be final rebuttal and closing statement.
I am for this topic that Gary Johnson a better candidate for president than the other two major party candidates. Johnson is a former governor of New Mexico for two terms. He ran as a republican in a very domacrat state. The domocrat ratio was 2 to 1 while he was a republican governor. When asked a question he answers them directly and doesn't change his story each time. Gary Johnson has vetoed 750 bills to cut spending on programs that have no improvement in our lives. He has not been accused of any sexual acts or in any scandals. He has not been investigated by the FBI for any reason. He is fiscally conservative and socially doesn't care what you do as long as you cause no harm to others.
wolf24

Con

Garry Johnson!!!
When he ran for president on the Libertarian ticket in 2012, 1.2 million Americans voted for Gary Johnson. That's about 0.99 percent of the total votes cast that year. Today, Johnson is polling nearly ten times higher than that; the Real Clear Politics average has the former New Mexico governor garnering about 9 percent of the vote nationwide in a three-way race with Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. In some state surveys " like in Utah, where Trump is widely disliked " Johnson is winning as much at 16 percent of the vote.
RELATED

Libertarian Nominee on Kochs and Being a Trump Alternative
Gary Johnson wants voters to know he's neither Trump nor Clinton " and that's why they should vote for him
Johnson's newfound popularity arguably has less to do with the candidate himself " his platform this election is essentially indistinguishable from the one he ran on in 2012 " than with the overwhelming, even historic, unpopularity of the major-party nominees. But we have some bad news for Americans seeking a Trump-Clinton alternative: Johnson has a poor fiscal track record, only the faintest fidelity to Libertarian ideals and a facile grip on issues both foreign and domestic " helping explain why 99.1 percent of the electorate decided he shouldn't be president four years ago. No matter where you sit on the ideological spectrum, you're likely to find something deeply objectionable in Johnson's views.
Here's what liberals, conservatives and Johnson's fellow libertarians should know about the man hoping to scoop up the votes of Never Trump-ers and Never Hillary-ers alike.
If you lean liberal and...
...you believe college should be tuition-free:
Johnson disagrees. "I would not believe that colleges or universities should be free," he told ProCon.org in June. "They would be too expensive from a federal standpoint. If states want to do that of course, that's their prerogative. But should they be free? No, they shouldn't be free."
"you're against big money in politics, and specifically Citizens United:
Johnson says corporations should give as much money as they want, as often as they choose, to whomever they please. "I think it [Citizens United] comes under the First Amendment, that they should be able to contribute as much money as they want," he told The New American in 2012. (He reiterated that sentiment this year.)
...you're against fracking:
While Johnson admits fracking is an incredibly inefficient and environmentally destructive form of energy extraction, he thinks we ought to be doing more of it. "I have spoken to my former environmental secretary," he tells ProCon.org, "and what he says regarding fracking is that it's only 10% effective, that there are environmental concerns, and that he believes that more research needs to be done on fracking. Number one, it could become much more effective, meaning it could have a much higher yield. So it sounds very pragmatic to me, but that would be where I'm at."
...you're against the TPP:
Johnson doesn't really know the specifics of the trade deal, but he supports it nonetheless. "My understanding is that it is more free trade than not. Is it a perfect document? Based upon what I understand it is not, but I could not tell you what the specifics are for why that's not the case other than that it's better than nothing given the current state of trade. So I would be in support of TPP." (All three of his rivals " Clinton, Trump and Jill Stein " are against the deal.)
...you're against the Keystone XL pipeline:
Speaking of details, when Johnson last publicly discussed the Keystone XL, in 2012, he also didn't have a firm grasp on those pertaining to the pipeline " a project later spiked by the Obama administration, and which Trump has vowed to revive. Nevertheless, he said he would support it. "I completely support the Keystone Pipeline if it's not an issue of the government implementing eminent domain to procure right of ways" I really don't understand where the regulatory hurdles are... I would certainly remove the regulatory hurdles," he said.
...you think the minimum wage is too low:
Johnson thinks this is a "non-issue" " because, as the Libertarian nominee has wrongly claimed, hardly anyone works for minimum wage. Here's how he put it on HuffPost Live earlier this year: "Minimum wage, look, I think [everyone is] missing the boat. Why doesn't he raise it to $75 an hour? Well, of course he can't raise it to $75 an hour because then prices would go way up and nobody would be able to afford to hire anybody. 'Oh, I see $75 is too high but $10.10 is just the right number?' How do you arrive at that? Why not let the marketplace arrive at that? And I just think it's much to do " minimum wage is much to do about nothing. I mean, nobody works for minimum wage [anyway]... [Just] showing up on time and wearing clean clothes gets you way above the minimum wage."
...you support paid medical and family leave:
"I would be opposed to that," Johnson told ProCon.org earlier this year.
...you think we should have virtually any reasonable restrictions on the purchase and ownership of guns:
"I don't believe there should be any restrictions when it comes to firearms. None," he said to Slate in 2011. When asked by the site iSideWith.com this spring, "Should there be more restrictions on the current process of purchasing a gun?" Johnson said, "No, only for criminals and the mentally ill." In a June interview with CNN, he elaborated on his thoughts about keeping guns out of the hands of individuals with mental illnesses, proposing a hotline as a possible solution, above policy changes. "We're not looking to roll back anything, but with regard to keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, with regard to keeping guns out of the hands of potential terrorists, Bill [Weld] talked about establishing a 1,000-person task force to potentially address that " look, a hotline? We should be open to these discussions," he said.
...you think the Affordable Care Act serves an important purpose, and you'd like to see it preserved:
In 2011, Johnson swore he would repeal Obamacare. "I would do everything I could to repeal President Obama's health care plan. I think that very simply we can't afford it," Johnson said. "The long-term solution to health care is a free market approach to health care. And by the way, health care in this country is about as far removed from free market as it possibly could be."
If you lean conservative and"
"you're pro-life:
Johnson isn't. As he told the Daily Caller in 2012, "I leave abortion to the woman. I just fundamentally end there. I absolutely support a woman's right to choose."
...you're worried about ballooning government debt:
Johnson says he's a fiscal conservative, but, as the National Review points out, when he was elected governor of New Mexico, "Johnson inherited a debt of $1.8 billion and left a debt of $4.6 billion."
...you think the United States has an immigration problem:
Johnson disagrees, as he told the Texas Tribune earlier this year. "I think we should make it as easy as possible for somebody who wants to come into this country and work to get a work visa. I'm not talking about a green card. The solution is to create a moving line. Don't put the government in charge of quotas. There will either be jobs or there won't be jobs," he said. "Yes, there should be a pathway to citizenship, and there should be an embrace of immigration as something really good. They're not taking jobs that U.S. citizens want."
...you're concerned about resettling Syrian refugees in the United States:
"We need to take our share," Johnson told Reason late last year. But, again, he was vague on specifics. "I'm not sure what that share should be. I'd like to come up with a formula based on our coalition partners. I wouldn't say zero, but I don't know if 65,000 puts us in the category of 'our fair share.'"
...you don't believe Planned Parenthood should be eligible for federal funding:
Johnson does, as he explained to Larry King earlier this year. "Look, [Republicans] want to spend more money on military but they want to cut it from social programs, from health care. Look, it's got to be a balanced approach when it comes to government spending with regard to everything. Am I opposed, I'm opposed to cutting the funding, or eliminating funding, to Planned Parenthood. Look, but Planned Parenthood has to take cuts just along with everybody else or we're going to find ourselves in a really perilous situation."
...you worry that legalizing marijuana could cause a slippery slope:
It should surprise no one that Johnson, who stepped away from his role as CEO of Cannabis Sativa Inc. before launching his bid for president last year, is in favor of full legalization. "On the recreational side, I have always maintained that legalizing marijuana will lead to overall less substance abuse because it's so much safer than everything else that's out there starting with alcohol," he told CNN recently.
"and you certainly don't think it would be a good idea to legalize all drugs:
"Would the world be a better place if all drugs were legalized tomorrow? Absolutely. But pragmatically speaking, you're not going to go from the criminalization of all drugs to the legalization of drugs overnight," Johnson told the Daily Caller in 2012.
...you're skeptical of the idea that women should serve in combat:
"Yes, they should," Johnson says.
...you think the U.S. is justified when it resorts to torture:
Johnson disagrees. "Torture and the practice of detainment without being charged are practices that need to stop," he said in a Reddit AMA.
430miletime

Pro

As former governor of a democrat state, Gary Johnson, could not do everything he wanted because of the legislature. He aimed for tax cuts in any way he could. His future plans for the U.S. Is for a 20% cut on every government program. There is to much spending in America in a lot of government programs. Even generals in the pentagram agree with a 20% cut for military spending.
For a further explanation of his views he knows that colleges raise the price of tuition because colleges know that they will receive money either way so why not raise the prices. If the government was not involved then the prices would be lower because the college would not receive any money but the student. If college was free then who would take it seriously. Most people know how people take free education. Look at high school for an example, student aim for just a passing grade and they do not try their best.
Why shouldn't business choose how much money they want to give. Why should there be a restriction of money given to someone. That money a business gives belongs to them and it's their choice to how much they want to spend or give away.
Fracking is efficient and provides jobs to millions. It has lowered the price of oil in areas where there are fracking sites. Fracking makes us depend less on foreign countries for oil. This keeps more money in the United States.
The demand of natural gas keeps growing and there's no sign of it stopping anytime soon. Wind or solar energy are great alternatives to energy but they don't produce energy for the average person. The keystone Pipeline would also employ 22,000 employees by 2020.
Gary Johnson has said before that he is personally pro-life but as president he will be pro-choice. It is the women's decision to do whatever she wants to her body. There is no reason why you should tell a girl what to do with her body. If she chooses to abort then she will have to face he consequences and if she does not abort then she will also live with the consequences. Women will have an abortion even if it is illegal. It is safer for the women to have an abortion with a qualified doctor.
Gary Johnson was a governor of a heavily democrat state which stopped him from cutting all taxes. The legislator was mostly democrat and could of stopped Johnson from cutting taxes. The legislator also could of stopped Johnson from cutting spending to certain programs which kept the debt to keep rising.
As a former governor of a border state Johnson knows what immigrants do for a living in America. He saw that they take the harder jobs like picking crops, maids, housekeepers, butchers, meet processors, and even janitors. These are not jobs you go to college for.
Johnson stand on the Syrian refuges is to bring some into America. Canada has already taken in refuges and there have been to terrorist attacks on the country. Bringing them to America would be no different due to background checks and health inspections on the refugees.
His views on marijuana is to legalize in all 50 states but would allow the states to decide if it becomes legal or not. It has made 70 million dollars in a year. That money could be used for schools, roads or anything that needs to be repaired or built. Marijuana is a lot safer than alcohol. Alcohol kills about 88,000 people a year while marijuana kills are 0 according to http://www.drugwarfacts.org...
http://time.com...
http://www.energyxxi.org...
http://cis.org...
A poll was taken and 90% of Americans did NOT know what Aleppo was. Johnson was very open on this topic and thought that it was an acronym. He admits he was at fault that he did not know what Aleppo was but he knew the policies behind it. His policy for Aleppo is to work with Russia and find a diplomatic solution to the problem. Johnson does not want more bombs to land on innocent lives and no boots on the ground. A diplomatic solution is a peaceful way to end the problem in Syria.
http://www.pajiba.com...
I would rather have an Aleppo moment over an of Trumps sexual assault claims, making fun of a POW, not paying taxes or makes fun of a handicapped. Trump is running for president and should not have any sexual assault claims towards him. He claims to be patriotic but makes fun of John Mccain because he was captured during war. Trump said "I like people who weren't captured". How can this man be the commander of chief if he makes fun of a man who fought for this country.
http://www.politico.com...
Hillary is no good candidate either. Obviously we all know that she has deleted 33,000 emails that were classified. She has been investigated by the FBI for the emails. She also defended a man who raped a 12 year old girl and then laughed about it to a reporter. She also lies a lot. She claimed to be under sniper fire when she arrived in Bosnia in 1996 but a video shows her coming off the plane and arrives at a greeting ceremony and an 8 year old girl reads her a poem. Why does she feel he need to lie about that?
https://www.washingtonpost.com...
During the time of Benghazi Hillary Clinton did nothing to help the men in Benghazi. Those men could of been alive today if Clinton acted on the situation. As Senator Ron Johnson asked Clinton of didn't she call the Benghazi survivor response was "What difference does it make".
http://www.politifact.com...
Both Trump and Hilary have more negatives than Gary Johnson alone. Johnson wants you to decide what you do with your own life and to keep government out of the bed room. He wants you to decide how you live your life as long as you cause no harm to others. The majority of the country is split between Republican and Democrat. We need a president who can be both and be the mediator of the country.
wolf24

Con

All you said was rubbish my friend. You didn't refute anything I said.
430miletime

Pro

The only thing you did in your debate was show liberals his conservative side and then showed conservatives his liberal side. That is not a debate. That doesn't prove Gary Johnson to be a worse presidential candidate that trump or Hilary. Please post a real argument for your side of this topic.
Posted by ILikePie5 1 month ago
ILikePie5
Only thing I have to say.... What is Aleppo?