YatesUni
Stupidape

Gary Johnson is our best choice for president

YatesUni

Pro

In this debate I am not focused on who will win, as that doesn't matter, I am going to prove that of the four remaining candidates, Hillary Clinton, Democrat, Donald Trump, Republican, Gary Johnson, Libertarian, and Jill Stein, Green, that Gary Johnson is the best.

My only rules are that you pick one of these four candidates and that you are respectful and civil throughout the debate. Also please do not make any arguments round 1 as it is for acceptance only. The only thing I need is for you to say the candidate you support.
Stupidape

Con

Jill Stein.
YatesUni

Pro

Pros for Johnson

I would like to first talk about Johnson's time as a republican. While I normally don't find it important to bring up, but people often bring it up, but Johnson's achievements as a Republican are not meaningless just because he is now a Libertarian, for as a republican, Johnson upheld a strictly Libertarian sort of Raegan Coolidge like platform, so nothing really changed except party. Now I would like to talk about his time as governer of New Mexico. He achieved a huge approval ration in a state where democrats out number republicans 2 to 1. He also left a statte previously struggling terribly with budget problems with a huge $1 billion budget surpluss. He also constructed two privately funded prisons, meaning the government doesn't pay for it. He vetoes more costly bills then all other governers combined. He also started a major road building program and shifted medicaid to a more efficient managed care. I think that these show that Johnson would be a very solid choice for president

Cons for Jill Stein

Unlike a debate between Ms. Clinton and Mr. Trump, I speculate that this debate will mostly be left up to the pros, not the cons. I can't really criticize Jill Stein to much because she has never held an elective office. Which simply leaves me with lack of experience. We can't simply let someone who has little to no knowledge of how to work in government. And Jill Stein graduating Harvard cannot be used to soldify her claims, as no political courses were taken, and she only took medical related courses.
Stupidape

Con

With the environment becoming increasingly an issue I think its a high time we elect a green party representative. The fact that Jill is both a woman and a Harvard graduate aids her. This is because she will be the first woman president if elected. I think it is high time we break the trend of all male presidents. A Harvard degree is no small task.

"She graduated magna cum laude from Harvard College in 1973, and from Harvard Medical School in 1979." [0]

Compare this to Gary Johnson's degree from the university of New Mexico.

"While studying at the University of New Mexico, Gov. Johnson started a handyman business as means to achieve financial independence. After graduating with a degree in political science in 1975, his company, Big J Enterprises, expanded into remodeling and renovation, and eventually, construction. " [1]

Therefore, there are three areas in which Jill has an advantage over Gary. First she focuses more on the enviorment than Gary. Second, she is a woman, which would make her the first female president. Third, she has a more prestigious degree than Johnson.

Why is the environment so important? If we don't act soon, as early as 2034 climate change will be out of control. Meaning only a supreme being could save the human race at that point.

"in fact, the report shows we might exceed a 2 C increase as early as 2034." [2]

We have to act now. The end of days is upon us unless we get our acts together. There can be no liberty, justice, nor freedom for anyone under such conditions.

Nevertheless, there is plenty of climate change deniers. Both in elected offices and the masses. [3]

"63% of those with no post-school qualifications were unconvinced about the role of humans in producing climate change
University graduates were much more likely to take the opposite view, with 86% agreeing that human activity was responsible" [4]

This means 37% of people with no post-school qualifications don't believe in man made climate change. This is huge, we need to bring awareness to as many people as possible and act accordingly. Pope Francis believes climate change is a threat and so do scientists. Meanwhile, Gary seems to take a weak stance on environmental issues.

If nothing else electing Jill Stein will send a strong message that climate change is real. The time to act is now before it is too late.

Sources.
0. http://www.jill2016.com...
1. http://2016.presidential-candidates.org...
2. http://www.businessinsider.com...
3. https://www.barackobama.com...#/
4. http://www.ecopedia.com...
YatesUni

Pro

I'm not against having a woman, but I always stand by having the most qualified person do the job, and that making sure we have a woman president shouldn't be our top priority. Now your claim that Jill Stein has a more prestigious degree is true in fact, but agin, its not a political degree, meanwhile Gary Johnson has a degree in political science. Would you hire a Harvard medical doctor as a lawyer? No, of course not, you would want someone who has a degree in the given field, right?

And the environmental claims are one field, and an iffy field at that. The environment is something extremely hard to predict, and science often predicts it wrong. And while I don't personally believe that man made climate change is as big as you stated, but we do have an $8,000,000,000 department called the Environmental Protection Agency.

Now onto the aspects that Jill loses to Gary Johnson, other than having no political degree and has never holding elective office. First, Gary Johnson will be for better at improving our economy, he would implement the same acts as he did while governor of New Mexico, which left the horribly budgeted state with a huge surplus. Jill has not proven herself prominent in this category, again, because she is not experienced. She also fails to address Americas terrible budget problem. The congressional budget office states that by the end of the 2016 FY, Congress will have gone $534 billion over there budget, as usual. What has Jill agreed to do?
Stupidape

Con

"And the environmental claims are one field, and an iffy field at that. The environment is something extremely hard to predict, and science often predicts it wrong. And while I don't personally believe that man made climate change is as big as you stated, but we do have an $8,000,000,000 department called the Environmental Protection Agency."

Climate change is real and is a threat. We have already hit the 400 ppm CO2 mark. Temperature and CO2 have a strong positive correlation. Sudden temperature changes are correlated with mass extinctions. The global temperature is rising rapidly.
YatesUni

Pro

In fact, over the last decade, the rate of climate change has been declining, despite the fact that we use more Co2 emitting energy sources. Now, I believe that Co2 has a small effect on the climate, but there is simply no evidence saying that we will die. And fossil fuels can be used to make countries stronger in the face of the effects some scientists hypothesise will effect them the most. for instance, fossil fuels can actually be used to make stronger structures and communities that can easily bounce back from devastating natural disasters. For instance, there is a correlation between fossil fuel and clean water, this is because fossil fuel can be used to power refineries and the entire pipe system used to get water to the tap. Now, of course all this energy can be found in other energy sources, such as nuclear and hydroelectric, but I suppose that you want to talk about wind and solar right? After all they are free supposedly? Well, not true, in fact, it is quite pricy, just to get the rare resources to make solar panels. But in inclusion to the solar panels and wind power, you'd need a reliable alternate. After all, the sun isn't shining all the time and the wind isn't blowing all the time. This is why despite the fact that Germany has invested so much in solar and wind energy, they have more coal plants then ever. And this in turn has caused some to go in to "energy poverty" I hope this clears up why we can't elect a president with no experience just because of climate change.

Now, I'd like to talk about the flaws in Jills other plans. She would like to raise taxes on the rich. Of course this sound like a great plan, after all, virtually everyone (including me) thinks the rich should pay their fair share. But the top 10% already pay 70% of government funding. And not only that, but research shows that the laffer curve for the rich indicated that the revenue collected from them INCREACES then taxes on them are DECREASED. Weird right? Well it turns out that when the rich know that less of their money is going to govt, they are far more willing to spend it. This also often indicates that they are putting money into their business, meaning they are probably hiring more people. And luckily for me Gary Johnsons tax plan will allow this to happen.

And again, Jills environmental plan was tried in Germany, and as I said, failed.

Her minimun wage of $15 will put far to may people out of work.

Thanks for the debate and I look forward to the response.
Stupidape

Con

Graph should be below. As you can see, my opponent has stated the exact opposite of what is true in regards to climate change. Global warming is accelearting as opposed to my opponent's claim of decelerating. 93.4% of the heat from global climate change goes into the oceans. With this rate of warming, we need to do something. Even if Jill's plan fails with the solar panels, we will know one way not to save the enivorment. Furthermore, those coal power plants are burning less fossil fuels. So, even if you still need more power plants, they are burning less coal due to solar panels.

Taxing the rich is an excellent idea, my opponent makes vague reference to the trickle down theory which is known not to work.

$15 an hour will get people off of welfare and food stamps. They will be able to work only 40-50 hours a weeks to meet basic needs instead of many more.

Thanks for the debate.

<br /><br /><br /><br />Graph should be above. As you can see, my opponent has stated the exact opposite of what is true. 93.4% of the heat from global climate change goes into the oceans. With this rate of warming, we need to do something. Even if Jill's plan fails with the solar panels, we know one way not to save the enivorment. Furthermore, those coal power plants are burning less fossil fuels. So, even if you still need more power plants, they are burning less coal.<br /><br />Taxing the rich is an excellent idea, my opponent makes vague reference to the trickle down theory which is known not to work. <br /><br />$15 an hour will get people off of welfare and food stamps. They will be able to work only 40-50 hours a weeks to meet basic needs instead of many more. <br /><br />Thanks for the debate.<br /> <br /><br /><a href=http://www.skepticalscience.com...