Onefloorhigher
nyyfan

Gas prices and oil

nyyfan
Started: 5/24/2012 Category: Economics

Onefloorhigher

Con

Whoever accepts to take this argument will be talking about how we are getting gas from the middle instead of Canada. Which to me makes absolutely no sense.
Thank you,
-Tyler
nyyfan

Pro

I will accept under the condition that "the middle" refers to the middle east and also I will request that the debate centers around why "we" (the USA, I'm assuming) do not import MORE oil from Canada and less from the middle east. I request this because the largest supplier of oil to the US is already Canada (ftp://ftp.eia.doe.gov...).
Onefloorhigher

Con

Alright, my argument is that Obama wants to try and be friendlier to the Middle East so ergo he buys the oil from them, which costs more for the U.S. If we got more of the oil from Canada than in most probability gas prices would go down, it might not be all that much but it would be an improvement. Because getting more oil from Canada is cheaper to have it cross the border instead of shipping it across the ocean, right? If we do this than we could sustain lower gas prices for a little while and stop angering Americans with sudden swelling in gas prices.
Thank you,
-Tyler
nyyfan

Pro

Although I do respect the simplistic approach you are taking to the issue, the fact of the matter is that the sale of crude oil is a very complex matter. The US can only buy as much oil as Canada is willing to sell, since it needs its own oil too. Also, the oil that comes from Canada is increasingly coming from tar sands which is a much dirtier form of oil that is more expensive to refine. Also, gas prices in the United States are barely effected by the price by the barrel from OPEC, in recent years there have been times where the price per barrel was dropping but the gas prices in the states were rising. This discrepancy is due to government subsidization of oil, we as Americans pay FAR less for gas than we would without subsidies. Hopefully, it can be seen that I am the only one who made a real argument and the voting will reflect this (although admittedly I wrote this round sloppily in a few minutes before bed because I was disappointed with the level of competition I am faced with).
Posted by BreeHikariu 5 years ago
BreeHikariu
I think he means middle East
Posted by AlwaysMoreThanYou 5 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
The middle what? Also, why can't we get it from both Canada and "the middle"
Vote Placed by socialpinko 4 years ago
socialpinko
OnefloorhighernyyfanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con began the debate by failing to realize that the majority of oil imported into the U.S. is already imported from Canada. Con also makes the mistake of (A) assuming that OPEC is necessarily responsible for current gas prices which Pro successfully refuted and (B) admits even within his own case that the difference among prices under the two alternatives would be marginal. Clear win to Pro here.
Vote Placed by daytonanerd 5 years ago
daytonanerd
OnefloorhighernyyfanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro put up the better argument, as I felt Con's was too simplistic for it to combat Pro's arguments. I felt the debate should have been more rounds.