olivemike81
Adrian_Felix

Gay Adoption

olivemike81

Pro

Not only should gay men and women be allowed to get legally married (with all the rights and privelages) but they should also be allowed to adopt children as well; assuming they fit all the normal criteria that a heterosexual couple must meet.
Adrian_Felix

Con

Firstly, as a gay man, I can honestly say that two men can never play the roles that a mother and father can. Naturally, women have a connection with children that is more natural than it is with a man. Sure two women can do the job, but the child will have a system overload. It's scientifically proven that a child can comprehend and understand signals of one woman. Two women can confuse the child. If it were two men, the child will never understand maternal nature and never understand the roles of a woman, and her role in the family.

Secondly, the child will receive bad images and atrocious things said about their parents. This can happen through media, and obviously The Church.
olivemike81

Pro

First off, thank you for accepting my challenge.

Let me start my response by saying that I agree that the best place for a child is in a home with a mother and father. However, in our society today, there are too many children being raised by the system, instead of by a loving family; even single parents do a much better job of raising children then the government. So, if a straight couple can not be found to raise a child then a gay couple should be allowed to step in. Two gay parents is a much better proposition then no parents at all.

You say that two people, of the same sex, will confuse a child. The fact is many things 'confuse' a child. Divorce is probably the biggest blow to a child's psyche (short of the death of a parent) yet we still allow divorce.

Once again I bring you back to single parents. The single parent has been around for many years in our society. Many children brought up by single parents end up as failures but many also end up contributing in a positive way to society; one parent is not ideal but it isn't an automatic recipe for failure. Sometimes the parent is male, sometimes female, the lack of a masculine or feminine influence does not mean a child will fail to learn the roles of men and women. As for the "roles of women" I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I like to think that our society has progressed to the point where a woman's role is equal to a man's role; that is to raise a child and support the child as best she can. Single fathers (and gay men for that matter) are perfectly capable of teaching their child to respect women and comprehend their role in society. The proof comes in the form of many men, raised by single fathers, growing up and having healthy, normal, successful relationships with their wife or girlfriend.

As for the child receiving "bad images" because of their gay parents, I'm afraid that is a part of life. Many kids are subject to bad treatment because their parents are of mixed ethnicity, yet the last time I checked black people were legally allowed to marry white people in this country (as well as any other racial mix). Just because kids will be subject to social pressures doesn't mean we ought to keep their parents from having to the chance to raise them.

Sorry if that was so long. I look forward to your response.
Adrian_Felix

Con

First off, you're welcome.

To be honest I believe that the system is a loving family, which is a system that has worked for thousands of years, until divorce came. It doesn't make sense to have an illegitimate straight couple be replaced by an illegitimate gay couple. I agree that parents need to exist in a childes life, but it's better to have an accepted family in society than one that is scientifically immoral.

Yes many things confuse a child, so why don't we spare them and don't confuse them anymore considering they might be going to an adoption process to replace parents.

If a child can become someone in this world and do positive things, then great. Congrats. The ratio, however doesn't add up. Children who are raised by one parent have a smaller chance of college, and being financially successful. The single parent recipe doesn't set up for failure and that is true. The recipe for two homosexual parents is, considering the abuse from media, the church, the government, and society in general. If our society is so fair for women, why have we not had a woman President and why aren't they paid as much? You can say we have progressed, but until society is completely unbiased, Anti-Feminists will always have their power.

I'm pretty sure that gay couples get harassed more than mixed racial couples do. I know from experience. I would like to say once again, wouldn't you want to make a childs life easier by having a smaller chance of struggle? If a child is taught that their parents are abominations, it sets up for self-esteem and confidence issues.
olivemike81

Pro

You're right that the system worked until divorce came along, but in a free society, such as ours, people have to be allowed to succeed in a relationship, or fail in a relationship. It's not the job of the government to force people to stay together just for the benefit of the child. Besides I wasn't talking about divorce (children aren't usually put up for adoption after a divorce) I'm talking about children in the system (who have no parents) having a better chance with gay parents than no parents at all.

As for confusing a child, I'd like to offer that the question "why do I have two fathers?" is a much less detrimental and confusing question than "why doesn't anyone love me enough to adopt me and take me out of this orphanage?" Like I said gay parents are better than no parents at all.

As for being 'scientifically immoral' science doesn't ask 'moral' questions about two men or two women together. Science is only interested in discovering why one man would decide to have sex with another. And (as I'm sure you agree) science has firmly decided that sexual orientation is not a choice; nature, for whatever reason, assigns people certain desires either for the same or opposite sex. Science is not about morality (of course we have to ask moral questions in the pursuit of science) it's about the 'how' and 'why' of our universe.

Once again you're falling back on the abuses of society to justify denying someone else rights they deserve. Right now there is a lot of anti-muslim sentiment in this country. Should we prohibit muslims from adopting children just because the children might be exposed to social pressure? The fact is homosexual parents are just as capable of providing a loving, stable environment for children to grow up in. They are just as capable of failing to provide those things as well; that's why they should be subjected to the same scrutiny and rules as a heterosexual couple looking to adopt.

You talk about abuse from various quarters (the church, government, and society in general) obviously no one can escape the negativity of society but negativity from the government and the church can be very minimalized in a person's life. Obviously the government would not harass a gay couple to whom it has legally given the custody of a child to. As for the church thankfully their influence is very limited. Not many churches would harass a gay couple once they left the congregation and if they did the authorities can be brought in to settle matters. But like I said possible harassment from a church is no reason to deny someone their rights.

As for comparing mixed couples to gay couples, the only reason mixed couples are harassed less is because society has come to accept that type of relationship (in many parts of society it's actually celebrated) given enough time society (in general) will come to accept gay relationships as another type of normal relationship. I'd also like to end by saying that all the reasons you have cited, against gay adoption, are the same types that were used to keep mixed couples from marrying and adopting.
Adrian_Felix

Con

Adrian_Felix forfeited this round.
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
what society would deny 2 mothers or 2 fathers a child? can you answer that? I can, it's a society filled with uptight people who are to afraid of change. or it's the people who are uncomfortable with it. or it's the people who say it's wrong because of the bible. that is true and even you goldspurs might be able to admit that.
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
i agree with karoz. just because someone is attracted to the same sex doesn't mean that they should be denied a child. I think that all a kid needs is two parents who will love and support it, and raise it to be a nice and honest person. what does it matter if it is 2 mothers or 2 fathers? just because it makes SOME people are uncomfortable with it doesn't mean it's wrong.
Posted by Karoz 9 years ago
Karoz
Goldspurs, what sensible society would purposely deny a child any parents at all just because the parents are attracted to the same gender?
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Gonovice, and you are basing this off what? What sensible society would purposely deny a child a mother or father?
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
I have like a million and one gay friends and they have great boyfriends/girlfriends and both of them would be amazing parents.
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied
Vote Placed by Sludge 9 years ago
Sludge
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied
Vote Placed by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied
Vote Placed by parkerdoc 9 years ago
parkerdoc
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied
Vote Placed by Adrian_Felix 9 years ago
Adrian_Felix
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied
Vote Placed by iloveher666 9 years ago
iloveher666
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied
Vote Placed by jurist24 9 years ago
jurist24
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied
Vote Placed by afeinberg 9 years ago
afeinberg
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied
Vote Placed by olivemike81 9 years ago
olivemike81
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied
Vote Placed by CongressmanDrew 9 years ago
CongressmanDrew
olivemike81Adrian_FelixTied