SquadSix
Metropolis

Gay Marraige

SquadSix

Pro

I am all for gay marriage but I want to see if someone can debate with me on this topic. Anyone who wants to join I shall be talking about why I think Gay Marriage is right and why we as a society should not put them down as a people or disrupt their lives because we believe it is not right.
Metropolis

Con

Sure, I'll accept. But the burden of proof that Gays should be allowed to marry lies firmly on your shoulders.
SquadSix

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate, now lets begin.

I shall first state why I believe gay marriage is perfectly fine and should not be condoned. Gay marriage is the holy sanction between two people of the same gender(not just men). It seems that same gender men marriage is all that I see but that isn't the case. Gay marriage has no effect on the population so I have no idea why we hate it o much, now not trying to be religious here but as I have read in the catholic religion gay marriage is frowned upon. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion so I shall leave it at that.

I will now show some facts about gay marriage such as the States that allow it and how many gays there are in the U.S.

The states that allow gay marriage are: Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire, and Vermont(along with the District of Columbia). These states all had the Supreme Court vote on this issue and as it is shown they voted yes for gay marriage. Now why would only these states be allowing gay marriage? That is not the case since California once had gay marriage but it was banned after Proposition 8. Some states such as New York have had thoughts about changing this ruling but no progress truly has been made.

Bill Clinton signed the Defense of Marriage act that says the states have the right to choose whether to ban or support gay marriage. What really surprise me is that during George W. Bush's presidency Congress tried twice to prohibit gay marriage, luckily they failed both time.

Now onto how many gays are in America. I didn't think the number would be this high but information is meant to shock you. There was a total of 150,000 gay marriages last year in the census report. There are even more gay couples that aren't married as well which is reasonable with all the ban gay marriage states. If every state accepted gay marriage how many gay marriages do you think there would be next year? I would say in the thousands if not tens of thousands. If these numbers don't make a state repeal the ban I don't know what will. And going back to the male is referred as the poster boy for the marriages there is about 56 percent of the couples being females.

Now onto some freedom sense on this topic. I believe everyone is entitled to their privacy and opinion but the Constitution has its Civil Marriage only stating opposite sex marriage. There have been many protests to change but just as many to keep them the same(mainly by religious groups). The same reason I bring this up is our freedom. With all the freedoms we get such as freedom of speech why not freedom of marriage. Some religions don't need it to be sanctioned by a priest or cleric such as the Islam faith.

Back to the freedom sense, how are we to say you can't get married. That would be like someone saying you can't ride this ride because you are too tall. It just doesn't make sense. We have come too far as a people to allowing women to have rights, African-Americans to have rights, and even children to have rights. Our next step should be to allow gays to have marriage rights just like the rest of the population. There are people who have multiple wives but a gay can't marry a single person because we don't believe it is right, well that is just turning our back on America's basic principle of freedom.

http://www.stateline.org...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://www.usconstitution.net...
Metropolis

Con

Metropolis forfeited this round.
SquadSix

Pro

This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I guess I will leave this round at this.

Gay marriage should be the joining of two men or women who love each other as much as a man or women could. If you don't let them get married you are going against their freedom as a people to get married to the one they love. Freedom should be available to all who want it. We shouldn't force someone to not do something. We need to be tolerant to the people even if you don't think it is right.
Metropolis

Con

Metropolis forfeited this round.
Posted by Lordknukle 5 years ago
Lordknukle
uh
unfortunately Pro is winning