Crls011
Ore_Ele

Gay Marriage Is Wrong

Crls011

Pro

Hello, I am new to this website and usually debate on such sites as CNN.com. (I would enjoy a debate in which there are limited to no resources, just perosnal experience; just for curiosity.) I decided my first debate was going to be over the highly controversial "Gay Marriage". I, for one, strongly disagree with Gay marriage and not for religious purposes. As a person who does not attend church, or believe in a higher supernatural power, I simply do not believe it is right and I know it will hurt our posterity in the future to come. One would claim it is alright for Gay people to have the right to marry under the government and in some cases under the bible, but to me, and many other people it is a slap to the face of the norm and it is sad to see our children look at gay couples and to think it is okay for them to have a relationship with someone of their own sex. I guess my main concern is for the well being and traditional values or our children. Let's face it. No parent wishes their child would come out homosexual. And for the most part no child does. I believe it is the child who chooses to become gay in a more mature state of mind. As for the rest of my argument, I will let it come to light when I receive a challenge and so forth. Thank you for your time.
Ore_Ele

Con

I would like to start off by thanking my opponent for his first debate, and hope that he has many more to come.

Claiming that something should be maintain simply because it is tradition is a common falacy, known as appeal to tradition. Examples of how this is not an adequate reason to preserve something by itself are such issues as slavery, and discrimination of women. Simply because that is the way things were, does not mean that is the way thing ought be.

I would also like to question my opponent's claim that, "I believe it is the child who chooses to become gay in a more mature state of mind." If a child can simply "choose" to be gay, then they can "choose" to not be gay. Also, if someone is capable of such a choice, then my opponent would be able to simply become gay for 30 minutes, then become straight again, as would I and anyone else reading and voting on this debate. As of now, I have not found the way to choose to be gay.

Even so, I don't see how choosing or not choosing to be gay should effect if gay marriage is allowed. If the government is going to provide financial benefits (along with other benefits) to people that are married, then what reason does the government have for omitting and discriminating against a classification of people? We already know that the government recognizes gay people as a class, thanks to surveys and the military's DADT.
Crls011

Pro

Crls011 forfeited this round.
Ore_Ele

Con

Extend arguments
Crls011

Pro

Crls011 forfeited this round.
Ore_Ele

Con

I was hoping that since this member took the time to use their own avatar, rather then one of the defaults, that they would be one to stay for a while, but I guess not.

Anyway, pass onto voting.
Posted by SpeakYourMind 5 years ago
SpeakYourMind
Making a fool of myself by launching out into an argument as a comment. This is not the place for that! I already have a debate on this topic, so if you'd like to read it check out my profile. And I'll challenge Crls011 on this debate topic anytime if he thinks he could win.
Posted by SpeakYourMind 5 years ago
SpeakYourMind
Yeah, it took till 1991 before over 50% of people in the US supported interracial marriage, even though the civil rights activists mostly took part in the 1960's and 1970's. The more you introduce acceptance and true and good equality the more people will be affected by it. We're in a time where gay marriage is still thought badly of though, and it'll take decades still before that hateful and/or ignorant stigma goes away or is greatly reduced. That's all I'll say though, it upsets me greatly to hear people be so stubborn in their beliefs and not even consider that they may be wrong, and I don't want to make a fool of myself :).
Posted by Floid 5 years ago
Floid
"many other people it is a slap to the face of the norm and it is sad to see our children look at gay couples and to think it is okay for them to have a relationship with someone of their own sex."

Enter a time machine to 160 years ago when slavery was a norm and it would have been horrible to imagine children one day considering all races as equal humans. I think you place way too much stock in "the norm".
Posted by m93samman 5 years ago
m93samman
You should change your position to "Con"
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
Crls011Ore_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Crls011Ore_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
Crls011Ore_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit
Vote Placed by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
Crls011Ore_EleTied