anxnxmxus
geasterly

Gay Marriage Needs to be Legalized

anxnxmxus

Pro

There is absolutely no reason for LGBT+ people to not be able to get married. I'd love to see someone give me one good argument (and no, the Bible isn't a good argument), as to why they don't have the same rights as straight people.
geasterly

Con

The definition of the word marriage is one man/one woman. Im not sure this is a real debate because a gay person does have the same rights as a straight person. A gay person may marry, just someone of the opposite sex. The restriction is applied equally to gay & straight. Dont forget there are reasons people marry other than love. The market & society has all but eliminated the hospital, insurance & inheritance issues. So what you are actually arguing for is the government to mandate that all people, churches, businesses & entities have to recognize & even participate in gay marriage, which steps all over the constitution. Heterosexual couples get tax breaks & benefits only because the government has a compelling interest in heterosexual marriage because they can create a child, a new tax payer, a new member of society, furthering our nation. The government should keep it the way it is or even better get out of marriage altogether & let society, churches & business choose!
anxnxmxus

Pro

anxnxmxus forfeited this round.
geasterly

Con

geasterly forfeited this round.
anxnxmxus

Pro

anxnxmxus forfeited this round.
geasterly

Con

geasterly forfeited this round.
anxnxmxus

Pro

anxnxmxus forfeited this round.
geasterly

Con

geasterly forfeited this round.
Posted by geasterly 3 months ago
geasterly
You mock somebody that they might use the bible in this debate (before anyone has) but I bet you agree with most of the basic laws in our society, you know....those foundation laws. Gee I wonder where they originally came from......hmmmm.....uhhhhh oh ya the BIBLE. Just remember I wasn't going to mention it at all so that I was only using pure fact.
Posted by geasterly 2 years ago
geasterly
Ok the skin color argument is ridiculous. You throw some of the word racist at the wall & hope some sticks huh? Please! Skin color is not even close. THE ONLY REASON GOVERNMENT IS IN MARRIAGE IS TO ENCOURAGE REPRODUCTION! Which god or mother nature made that way, nothing we can do about it. So no, government should not extend those privileges to gays. They should just get out of it period, to keep the mob from clambering. I Dont think hetero couples should get them either. The less government intrusion, the better.
Posted by evangambit 2 years ago
evangambit
"A gay person may marry, just someone of the opposite sex. The restriction is applied equally to gay & straight." This seems a rather naive application of the word "equal". For instance, I wouldn't consider a flat tax of $100 per person "equal" despite the fact that it is universally appiled. Perhaps a bit more straw-man-ishly, I wouldn't consider tax breaks based on the lightness of skin color "equal" even if it was applied universally.
Posted by Imalwaysthesmartone 2 years ago
Imalwaysthesmartone
I would ask then is it ok to marry any combination of people or should limits be set on that. 1 woman 2 men. 1 man 10 women, 1 man and 1 man and a woman etc. What about age limits. shouldn't 10 year olds be aloud to marry. If the answer is no to any of those than explain the difference. Why should only members of the LGBT be the only exceptions to the marriage rule?
Posted by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
Somebody is going to use the Bible anyway. I guarantee it.
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
Same
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
I would also debate this but I seriously cannot think of a logical reason as to why it should not be legal. I'd love to see if anyone accepts this.
Posted by AngelofDeath 2 years ago
AngelofDeath
I would debate this, but i'm pro too
dynamicduodebaters
Absolutely