ironknight47
sunny.pujari

Gay Marriage Should Be Legal in the U.S.

ironknight47

ironknight47

Pro

In this debate, I will be arguing on the "pro" side, meaning I support gay marriage in the U.S. There will be four rounds, as follows:
1) Accepting
2) First Arguments
3) Counter-Arguments
4) Counter-Arguments and Closing Statements
If you want to present your opening arguments during the first round, that would be fine. Thank you to anyone willing to participate. Remember, you want to show why you oppose gay marriage in the U.S.
sunny.pujari

Con

I accept your challenge.

One thing I want to make clear is that I am just arguing for the con side of the argument. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I ACTUALLY AM AGAINST gay marriage.

Looking to have a nice debate.
ironknight47

Pro

Thank you for accepting. I hope we can have a good debate.

First, I want to start off with what I think to be the definition of marriage: two people who love each other joined to live together until death or until one wants a divorce. There isn't anything biological about marriage. Marriage is something humans created, rather than gender, which was created for us, inside of us. Humans created marriage and therefore, I think, have the right to change the definition as they wish, should they feel that that change is justified.
Next, I ask a simple question. Why shouldn't gay marriage be legal? There are obviously people who would benefit from gay marriage being legal. Who exactly would it hurt? There are many people who don't want gay marriage to be equal, but would it hurt them? Would gay marriage make their lives worse?
This may seem like a short starting argument, but it's all I need right now. If humans can change their definition of marriage as they please and there is no reason NOT to change it, why should we keep our laws about marriage the same?

Thank you. I await your first arguments.
sunny.pujari

Con

Great point.

The major thing I want to say is that people find same sex marriage to be socially awkward. People just cannot accept this fact of seeing two people of the same sex together. As I am not a Christian I do not know this fact for sure but from what I have heard, I understand that the Bible supposedly says things against gay marriage? I may be incorrect on that statement since I am a Hindu and not a Christian but from what you can take from it is that many religions also have a thing or two to say about gay marriage, meaning it is "unethical." I do know that in Hinduism gay marriage and same sex marriage is strictly not allowed and rather we have forced marriages. I, luckily, have parents that have let me have a normal marriage and due to that I have met my fiancee and now planning for a marriage. But instead of digressing let me get back on topic. Same sex marriage is not legal because it is not what we are taught growing up. We see people every day as a couple. Always a boy and a girl. Now when we bring this same sex marriage it is just awkward to see this. Many people just label these couples to be abnormal. Finally, people also have a fear that they will have to deal with gay people falling for them or so on. It is all just a mental point of view that is unanimous to most of society.

So my main argument is that same sex marriage is not legalized due to societies point of views and what all it could do to them.
ironknight47

Pro

You bring up some good points.

I am Christian and I believe that you are correct in thinking that the Bible has sections of it that say gay marriage should not be; I think there is a line in the book of Leviticus that says something like, "If a man shall lie down with a man as with a woman, he shall be stoned." However, when talking about creating laws, we must remember the separation of church and state. Although many religions say gay marriage should not be permitted, these ideas are not supposed to influence laws. Laws have to be decided based on the potential harm and benefit that can result from the laws, not based on religion.
Your next argument talks about how people consider homosexual couples to be awkward. I will admit a lot of people take notice of homosexual couples more often than heterosexual ones, because, as you said, many of us were brought up on the idea that marriage and partnership is between only a man and a woman. We must remember that people once (and still do) take notice of couples of different races than couples of two people of the same race. However, I don't think that peoples' awkwardness in a situation is harm enough to outweigh the benefits of homosexual couples to get married.
Your last point says that people have a fear of homosexuals because they believe they will fall for them. To me, a heterosexual male, this fear is as rational as a male such as me being afraid of girls because they might fall for him. Just because homosexuals fall for the same sex does not mean they will fall for everyone of the same sex that they meet.

sunny.pujari

Con

Yes you make a valid point that the state and church should be separated but is it really? Aren't all actions and laws made based on beliefs we have? It is not really only for the general good if you think about it. All of these laws we have have a belief system or something to state about one thing or the other. Such as people cannot drink until they are 21. Yet teens under 21 drink alcohol. People have a belief that it is not right and moral for people to drink alcohol since it impairs their judgement. Hence that probation on alcohol had occurred a long time ago. And NO that law was not made because of health concerns since that was found out awhile later after the law was passed from what I have understood. So from that argument I see that you said that it is "supposed" to not influence laws but clearly laws are getting affected by beliefs. How else do we try and pass laws, it is all just an idea that people believe in that could help others.

Now moving on to my point about awkwardness. I frankly have to say that society will have people that will say gay marriage is a sin and some will say people deserve this right. I will have to say that society is corrupt and has terrible views in my mind, but WHO IS MAKING THE LAWS! It is the SOCIETY and that is what I am getting at. Legalizing gay marriage is not an issue at all but who is going to pass the law? It is society and they don't want to readily accept same sex marriage.

Finally, I have to give it you for your argument since I completely agree with it. But, have you ever encountered or personally known someone who is gay? I do! My good friend in high school was a mallet percussionist and was gay. I played the drum set along with him for 4 years. Honestly the greatest times we had. He was a great friend and pal but he was gay and I still accepted him but then he happened to ask me out and said he liked me and told me he was gay. It was a shock but I was able to handle it since he was a good friend. I felt terrible and awkward to say no and like it isn't a feeling many would want to experience. Since I am an open person and welcome everyone however they are I didn't care, but if you take a person in society and put them in that situation they would run home and start showering in holy water to cleanse themselves. Like my dad did when he was in college. It is all beliefs that is what has made this world and place what it is. Just beliefs, why do you think we have so many issues in this world? All because of beliefs.

Enjoying this debate very much Thank You!
ironknight47

Pro

More excellent points.

Yes, laws get affected by beliefs. But the beliefs that influence laws are GENERALLY common ones. For instance, most people, whether religious or not, would say killing another human being is bad. Is this specific to any one religion? No. Do people dislike killing because their faith tells them it is bad, or because they personally feel it isn't right? I think religions are special beliefs that group people together. However, in cases like these, many people say that they don't agree with gay marriage because their faith tells them it is bad. Therefore, we can't really create laws SOLELY based on the faith of a group of people.

You bring up good points in your second statement. But the question I want to ask is this; does the awkwardness of society accepting gay marriage as a possible harm outweigh the benefit of allowing gay people to marry as they choose? I will admit that gay marriage can be awkward to some, but is awkwardness enough to say that gay people should not be able to marry as they choose? I don't believe so.

I have met and been friends with gay people, but not as closely as you seemed to be with your friend. Often I find it hard to notice the difference in some people. To me, all I see are people. I can try to understand how awkward that situation would be for you, but heterosexual people often have the same awkward feelings when asked out by someone. It feels terrible to say no to anyone. But, regardless of whether or not gay marriage is legalized, gay people will continue to have crushes and ask people out just as heterosexual people do. It's really just a difference of who they are asking.

So, to finish up, I think gay marriage should be legal in the U.S. because the benefits outweigh the harm. For the benefits, we have gay people being able to get married, lead families, and enjoy their lives with their true love without restriction. On the harm side, we see some people feeling awkward upon seeing gay couples in public. But, I think, if we teach our kids about how gay people aren't so different, this awkwardness could fade away in a few generations, and we would be left with pure, true love, unrestricted for everyone, no matter who they are.

Thank you so much for debating with me. It's been a good debate.
sunny.pujari

Con

I agree for the most part with you.

Now the first point you made is completely valid but the only thing I want to point out is that, we are talking about legalizing gay marriage and that is what I am trying to make a point on. I do not disagree that laws are usually a unanimous decision, BUT in this case most people do not agree with same sex marriage. Then again religion is a huge part of these decisions since most religions (not completely positive for any religion beside Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism and now Christianity as well) have things to say about how gay marriage and same sex marriage is a sin. We cannot and I repeat CANNOT just expect that we are going to change that part of everyone's religion to allow this law to be passed. I agree that it cannot be based off the faith of a group of people, but that is how things are and especially since most religions unanimously agree that gay and same sex marriage is a sin people stay away from allowing it because they do not want upset the almighty. I personally feel that everyone should be looked at equally since we are all God's children but the way each of us have been taught tells us that same sex marriage is morally wrong and is a sin. Which leads to the next point I was making.

First off I want to answer your question, YES it does outweigh because of religion. Me and you can believe many things but like you said unless it is a unanimous decision it will not be passed as a law. Plain and simple! Society does not feel ready to accept gay marriage. Maybe they will in the future, but right now it is a big no-no. The feeling the general public gets from seeing a gay couple or a same sex couple makes them feel terrible because we have been brought up with the concept that gay marriage and same sex marriage is a huge SIN.

You are completely correct! It is in fact very hard to differentiate between gay and straight people. I did not know my friend was gay until I got asked. Also you make a completely valid point there is awkwardness saying no to anyone but once again I will state that most religions state in some way or the other that GAY MARRIAGE IS A SIN. That is the problem we as a society are facing. People do not want to just go ahead and break a rule that their religion has taught them.

Now finally I will end with one short and sweet statement on what my argument is. People in society for the most part do not support the idea of same sex marriage due to the things we all have been taught by our corresponding religion. Society itself does not feel comfortable to break a rule that has been laid out to them. No doubt that gay marriage should be legal since it doesn't personally affect anyone really, but right now society just cannot accept it and a key point you make is that it is going to fade away in a few generations if people decide to change and turn over a new leaf. Maybe a few generations from now same sex marriage will be accepted and love can become love no matter how it is since after all it is love, but right now society is not ready for this. Gay marriage needs to wait. Maybe it will become legal in later generations but right now we as a society can't accept it due to our personal beliefs. I do support the legalization of same sex marriage, but I frankly think that society can't accept this right now. We all just have to wait.

Thank you for a great debate, this was fun and no matter the outcome I would love to have more debates with you in the future. I have a feeling this one is going to be close haha. Thank you once again and good luck to you in the polls.
Posted by lydia_mae19 3 years ago
lydia_mae19
I agree that they should marry who ever they want to. I hate how I have grown up in this environment where it's wrong to date the same sex and you will only do right with you opposing sex! Who else agrees that this stupid stereo-type is idiotic!
Posted by Tr0ll 3 years ago
Tr0ll
Marriage in the US is as american as apple pie and the 4th of jully. That means if an american (USA) citizen wants to take part in an America (USA) in tradition they should be allowed to.

The act of Marriage in the USA is that a two persons join together and now in the eyes of the USA/ IRS our 1 person/team. The fact is that marriage is a battle on one main ground of Tax Benefits. This is the only reason why gay marriage is really an "issue."
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
ironknight47sunny.pujariTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with Pro, religion is not a valid basis for making laws, as far as the awkwardness point something being awkward is not a legitimate reason to make something illegal if it does no harm.
Vote Placed by Deathmonkey7 3 years ago
Deathmonkey7
ironknight47sunny.pujariTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were almost entirely based on the very same basis of all discrimination rather than any legitimate legal or moral reasoning to be against same-sex marriage.