ailishm99
GKChesterton

Gay Marriage Should Be Legalized in the U.S.

ailishm99

Pro

I believe that being married is a basic right in the US. To say it is against your religion for SOMEONE ELSE, to get married is disgraceful. In America, there is freedom of religion, but not for gay or lesbians! The law preventing gays and lesbians to get married is against their freedom of religion.
GKChesterton

Con

Thank you for the opportunity to debate.

First of all, Pro has the BOP. They instigated the debate, and they are changing the status quo.

*2 Contentions*

Contention 1. Homosexual behavior is destructive

A. Homosexuality increases STD's.
according to the CDC "Gay and bisexual men are more severely affected by HIV than any other group in the United States". Furthermore "Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men represent approximately 2% of the United States population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV. In 2010, young gay and bisexual men (aged 13-24 years) accounted for 72% of new HIV infections among all persons aged 13 to 24,"[1]

B. Homosexuality destroys the immune system by putting the body into unnatural positions that harm the body's interior.
617,000 people are dead because of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). Furthermore, the leading cause of AIDS is homosexual behavior among males.

C. Homosexuality increases suicide rates.

Many people in america say that the increase in homosexual suicide rates comes from gay bullying. However, the large majority of the problem comes from the behavior itself. Take Ireland for example. They promote homosexuality in their culture and actively support it. However, the suicide rates among the LBGT population are still astronomically high. In fact, homosexuals in Ireland are seven times more likely to commit suicide.[3]

Contention 2: Legalization of gay marriage will encourage bad behavior

Empirically, we see that the legalization of an activity in society leads to its normalization and adoption. If Gay marriage is to be legalized, it will have three effects.

1.First, it will circumvent traditional marriage which will destroy the family structure.

2. Second, STD rates will increase as homosexual behavior becomes more widely adopted and even taught in schools.

3. Third, it will serve as a gateway toward the legalization of other acts such as polygamy and beastiality. As soon as you remove the traditional definition of marriage, there is no stopping the legalization of atrocious sexual acts.

*Rebuttal*

My opponent says that legal policy cannot come from moral convictions.

1. My objections come from scientific data that shows the harms of legitimizing gay marriage

2. ALL laws come from moral principles. Laws that ban murder come from the moral principle that life is intrinsically valuable.

My opponent says that gays and lesbians have the freedom of religion.

1. Freedom of religion does not include freedom of action. Islamic Extremists have committed terrorist attacks based on religious convictions. However they cannot justify their actions under "freedom of religion"

2. They don't have the freedom to change the definition of marriage, a term that has an understood meaning for hundreds of years.

It is because homosexuality harms society, and because its legalization opens the door for other atrocious acts to be legalized, that I submit the Con option.

1.http://www.cdc.gov...
2.http://politicalvelcraft.org...
3.http://seanduke.com...
ailishm99

Pro

Freedom of religion is not exclusively to common religions. It is about what you believe in, that is your religion. As long as what you believe in isn't destructive like human or animal sacrifice, you should be aloud to practice what you believe in. If you believe that gay people should be married then you should be aloud to get married. Saying that gay people shouldn't be married is like saying black people shouldn't be married. And how does gay people getting married harm you in anyway. Why do you care if they get married if it doesn't effect you.
GKChesterton

Con

My opponent has failed his burden of proof because he hasn't refuted any of my contentions or central arguments.

My opponent is said that should be allowed to practice what you believe. That's true to the point where you aren't engaging in a destructive behavior. Homosexuality is a destructive behavior.

My opponent conceeded both my contentions. First, that homosexuality increases, STD's, destroys the immune system, and increases suicide rates. Secondly, that the legalization of homosexual marriage will encourage this bad behavior by normalizing it. Furthermore, at the point you redefine marriage for society, you open the door for the legalization of polygamy and beastality. if marriage is just a claim of "love", then what is to stop other destructive practices from entering society.

Rebuttal

"Saying that gay people shouldn't be married is like saying black people shouldn't be married."

I have two responses

1.homosexuality is a behavior, being black is not. My opponent brought up no evidence to suggest that homosexuals are genially predisposed to their condition. But even if they were, homosexuality is still a behavior. Some people are genetically predisposed to have anger issues, but we don't want them giving into those urges simply because they exist.

2. This logic would legalize polygamy and beastiality. Using my opponents same logic, I could argue that saying a man can't marry an animal is the same as saying a black person shouldn't get married. this logic is faulty.

"How does gay people getting married harm you in anyway?"

I argued this in my conceded 2nd contention. Homosexuality leads to increased STD's, increased suicide, and damage to the immune system. Legalizing homosexuality normalizes this behavior and opens the door to other dangerous practices.
ailishm99

Pro

The point that you are missing is that you can't change the fact that you are gay or lesbian, that's the way you were born. So, it is like being a certain race. And saying gays and lesbians are destructive! How do you know that.
GKChesterton

Con

Pro says that homosexuals are born that way, despite giving no evidence to support the claim.

1. People aren't born homosexual

The overwhelming majority of scientific evidence denies the existence of a "gay gene." This is illustrated through the following report by the daily caller.

"Journalists trumpet every biological study that even hints that gayness and straightness might be hard-wired, but they show little interest in the abundant social-science research showing that sexual orientation cannot be innate. The scholars I interviewed for this essay were variously dismayed or appalled by this trend.

For example, historian Dr. Martin Duberman, founder of the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies, said "no good scientific work establishes that people are born gay or straight." And cultural anthropologist Dr. Esther Newton (University of Michigan) called one study linking sexual orientation to biological traits ludicrous: "Any anthropologist who has looked cross-culturally (knows) it"s impossible that that"s true, because sexuality is structured in such different ways in different cultures."

While biology certainly plays a role in sexual behavior, no "gay gene" has been found" [1]

2. Even if people are born with homosexual urges, they shouldn't act out on them.

My opponent didn't address the point I made in my last speech, showing that some people are born with tendency to become angry more easily. However, just because a feeling exists does not mean you should act on it.

Pro asks how I know homosexual behavior is destructive. I will refer my opponent back up to my conceded first contention, where i demonstrated that homosexuality increases STD's, suicide rates, and damages the immune system. Furthermore, it is gateway toward the legalization of beastiality and polygamy.

1. http://dailycaller.com...
ailishm99

Pro

Maybe they have a higher suicide rate because of other people. Many people bully and physically injure gays, just because of the fact that they are gay. There have been many hate crimes against gays. Bullying and being beaten, every single day is usually enough to commit suicide.
GKChesterton

Con

GKChesterton forfeited this round.
ailishm99

Pro

ailishm99 forfeited this round.
GKChesterton

Con

GKChesterton forfeited this round.
Posted by GKChesterton 1 year ago
GKChesterton
If you read my arguments in the debate box, you can see all of the negative consequences of homosexual behavior. Is this something we want to enforce as a society?

If marriage is just "love", then shouldn't we legalize polygamy and beastality?
Posted by Mark81 1 year ago
Mark81
It should be Legalized in the US. Gay people have just as straight people the right to get marry. Here in Europe there are many countries where gays can get married. In every civilized country they must be able to get married.

Gay people are just man who love man or woman who love woman. They can be the president, army leader, businessman or whatever. Just people like you and I.