advil0
smileydodge

Gay Marriage Should Be Legalized in the US

advil0

advil0

Pro

This is my first debate on here, let's see how it goes.

Judge Walker in his decision for Perry v Schwarzenegger (1) found there to be no rational basis for a state to deny marriage to same-sex couples under the law.

In the due process and equal protection clause of the US Constitution, it guarantees the same protection under laws for every single one of it's citizens (2). For a state to deny same-sex couples the right to marry, it would be a violation of this clause, and therefore is unconstitutional.

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org...
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org...
smileydodge

Con

Okay, my first arguement is that America is based on the Bible, and was founded by Christians. God made people so that a man is supposed to marry a woman. If we went against that truth, we would be making a decision for our country that is something against what God's purpose was, then our basis for that law would be the same. "IN GOD WE TRUST" is on many items in our country. Our coins, license plates, and many other things. We would basically be contradicting ourselves, and going against the Bible If we made the decision to make gay marriage legal. I thank you for listening to my side.
advil0

Pro

Thanks for accepting this debate :)

To counter your point, yes this country is founded upon Christian beliefs and the Bible. But there are a lot of things the Bible says that aren't valid/recognized in today's society.

For example, Leviticus 19:31 "Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God." (1) The Bible says in that passage that spiritual mediums and fortune tellers are bad and you should not use them. But today, many many people use fortune tellers.

Just a few others that the Bible says:
Round Haircuts, Tattoos, Polyester, Divorce, Wearing Gold, Shellfish, etc.

(1) http://www.11points.com...
smileydodge

Con

Interesting that you should break out the old, tired argument of using apparent contractictions between the requirements of the law in the Old Testament and practices of modern society- usually used by atheists ta attempt to debunk God's Word. Without laboring the point, I would just say that those alleged "contradictions" have been addressed by Christians over the years, including a recent analysis of those same, specific points by Reverend Dave Gifford.

See this link:
http://www.giffmex.org...

I will continue my argument on the next round so I have more room. Thank you.
advil0

Pro

Number 8 on that page didn't even attempt to argue against wearing gold. The passage about how you should invest time and money into making your inner self better rather than your outer self has no effect on today. Women do that all the time, even at church, which the argument on that webpage specifically addresses.

I don't have the room to argue against all the other points so I'll make one big one. Marriages in states are defined by a Marriage License, given to the couple by the state. It is up to them to have a religious ceremony attached to that or not. Since the license is given to them by the state, it would be unequal and unfair treatment under the law for them to refuse a license on the basis of sexual orientation.
smileydodge

Con

As a conclusion of this debate, I would like to point out that people in America have been doing fine for years having marriage between a man and a woman. If we choose to go down the road of making gay marriage legal we will be ripping down the wall of marriage, and making it some sort of non-serious matter. We will be mocking marriage and the point of it. Choosing to make it legal would cause us to have to legalize other dumb acts such as polygamy. Why not make this legal if we're are making gay marriage legal? By making marriage some kind of joke, we are ruining our economy, people, and our future generations. Our country was built with the help of God, going against what He set out for us is not what we need to be doing now. Thank you.
Posted by Rodriguez47 6 years ago
Rodriguez47
Why is a law in the first place?
Posted by Warturtle 6 years ago
Warturtle
If you want to challenge me to this same debate I'd be happy of oblige (I'd be on the con side).

However, you better allow a minimum of at LEAST 2000 words. I'd be happier to have even more.
Posted by advil0 6 years ago
advil0
Furthermore, "In God We Trust" was not on the original printed money manufactered by the United States. It first appeared on a coin in 1864.

"Under God" was not added to the pledge until 1954 because of the Communism scare in the US.
Posted by advil0 6 years ago
advil0
Of course a few hours after I post my argument I find http://en.wikipedia.org...

"Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
I agree with Pro though I also agree with people who want to marry their animals or/and furniture.
I have only one condition: Don't call it a Christian wedding.
Vote Placed by CharlaB 6 years ago
CharlaB
advil0smileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by Warturtle 6 years ago
Warturtle
advil0smileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
advil0smileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by Shestakov 6 years ago
Shestakov
advil0smileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by advil0 6 years ago
advil0
advil0smileydodgeTied