LukeKrog
DarkStrike

Gay Marriage Should Be Made Legal Worldwide

LukeKrog

LukeKrog

Pro

Okay, before I get into this I would like to state the following ground rules and explanations for this debate. First of all, it is for a school project, so obviously no inappropriate comments or arguments. Also, it is relatively time sensitive and if it could be concluded or at least close to a conclusion by March 24. Most importantly, if you decide to debate against me, be absolutely sure you will be able to finish the debate. I can't have my opponent leaving halfway through. Thanks for accepting this slightly restrictive set of guidelines and let us have a good debate!

Okay, now into the actual debate. This is a debate over gay marriage legally, not ethically or morally. So make sure you are debating against of the legalization of gay marriage, not the very idea of it. Citing sources is not necessary for common knowledge and the like but obviously citing for statistics is required. Other than that, just a good old debate on a very controversial issue. First round will be for acceptance and questions about the project or rules if there are any from my challenger. Thanks again for debating with me.
DarkStrike

Con

I was hesitant at first to take this debate at first, but then accepted it. I accepted it for one reason; there are outcomes of legalisation that could affect the given government.

So I am happy to debate.

I'm only new to this, but I will still put up a debate.
LukeKrog

Pro

Thanks to DarkStrike for accepting my challenge and just remember that all posts have to be school-friendly. Shouldn't really be a problem, but I feel the need to say it anyways.

Before I get into the meat of my argument, I would like to address the fact that I say "Worldwide" in the title. I just mean that I believe this matter, and the points I make for my cause, transcend any one country and really apply universally. If my opponent disagrees, we can of course debate that as well.

Gay marriage should be made legal worldwide because it is moral and absolutely just to do so. I'm going to start off by saying that I am NOT debating the morality of gay marriage. I won't bother to address that because it is outside of the argument. This is solely whether or not it should be legal. I am a Libertarian and believe that my personal opinions should not constrict everyone else from enjoying a right. This can apply to lots of things. I personally despise alcohol and marijuana, but I fully believe and know that people have the right to indulge in them. I can see no strong reason that gay marriage isn't legalized other than religion and supposed morality. Many people are under the belief that it is their moral duty to try to stamp out all that their religion or belief system labels a sin (in this case, gay marriage) with laws and legal constrictions. This is false! It is everyone's moral duty to assure that everyone enjoys the rights (in this case, marriage) that they do, despite the differences. In the Christian faith (which the majority of the world is, so it is the one I will use as an example), humans are given choices for a reason. They can choose to follow God and obey his commands or turn away from God and not follow his commands. Even if they don't believe that gay marriage is right, forcing their beliefs upon others takes away the gift (or curse) of choice that God gave everyone. That is most certainly not a moral thing to do. And if someone does not choose to follow a set of morals, then why would that person possibly want to and where would they think they have just cause to impede the progress of this movement? In closing, legalizing gay marriage would be moral and just in allowing gay couples freedom of religion and freedom from religion.
DarkStrike

Con

DarkStrike forfeited this round.
LukeKrog

Pro

Well, there is no reason for me to post another argument yet. I would like to mention to DarkStrike that in accepting you agreed that you would not quit halfway through. That was definitely a part of my rules. Please, this is important to me. Even if you feel you have weak arguments or are overwhelmed, finish this out.
DarkStrike

Con

My apologies. I am so sorry, I have been violently sick, and when I went to try and post a comment on your wall, it would not let me.
Truly, I am sorry. I have been vomiting and had a fever
LukeKrog

Pro

So you won't be continuing the debate? It is your turn if you wish to. I understand if you do not.
DarkStrike

Con

DarkStrike forfeited this round.
LukeKrog

Pro

LukeKrog forfeited this round.
DarkStrike

Con

DarkStrike forfeited this round.
Posted by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
Legally, you say? Check out the ICCPR and the Constitution, then check out polls to see other's opinions on the topic and why they'd be happy if gay marriage would be legalized, then state the UDHR for moral rights and laws.
Posted by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
Looking forwards to con's arguments. I've refuted everything from God to economic issues.
Posted by Pitbull15 3 years ago
Pitbull15
I'm on the fence about accepting this one. I don't play devil's advocate very often.
Vote Placed by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
LukeKrogDarkStrikeTied