LukeKrog
Sdgydnhgn

Gay Marriage Should Be Made Legal Worldwide

Sdgydnhgn

LukeKrog

Pro

Okay, before I get into this I would like to state the following ground rules and explanations for this debate. First of all, it is for a school project, so obviously no inappropriate comments or arguments. Also, it is relatively time sensitive and if it could be concluded or at least close to a conclusion by March 24. Most importantly, if you decide to debate against me, be absolutely sure you will be able to finish the debate. I can't have my opponent leaving halfway through. Thanks for accepting this slightly restrictive set of guidelines and let us have a good debate!

Okay, now into the actual debate. This is a debate over gay marriage legally, not ethically or morally. So make sure you are debating against of the legalization of gay marriage, not the very idea of it. Citing sources is not necessary for common knowledge and the like but obviously citing for statistics is required. Other than that, just a good old debate on a very controversial issue. First round will be for acceptance and questions about the project or rules if there are any from my challenger. Thanks again for debating with me.
Sdgydnhgn

Con

The whole argument about gay marriage is mainly morals and ethnics so you can not argue the matter without them if I can use them I gladly will debate the matter
LukeKrog

Pro

That's fine Con, you can use whatever reasoning you wish. Just make sure you are debating against the legalization of it, no the very idea of it. Also I would like to say that I already posted this debate once, but my opponent quit on me. I will be using an argument identical to an argument I previously posted, but that argument was never refuted so I think that is fine. Just don't think I'm plagiarizing or something.

Before I get into the meat of my argument, I would like to address the fact that I say "Worldwide" in the title. I just mean that I believe this matter, and the points I make for my cause, transcend any one country and really apply universally. If my opponent disagrees, we can of course debate that as well.

Gay marriage should be made legal worldwide because it would be moral and absolutely just to do so. I'm going to start off by saying that I am NOT debating the morality of gay marriage. I won't bother to address that because it is outside of the argument. This is solely whether or not it should be legal. I am a Libertarian and believe that my personal opinions should not constrict everyone else from enjoying a right. This can apply to lots of things. I personally despise alcohol and marijuana, but I fully believe and know that people have the right to indulge in them. I can see no strong reason that gay marriage isn't legalized other than religion and supposed morality. Many people are under the belief that it is their moral duty to try to stamp out all that their religion or belief system labels a sin (in this case, gay marriage) with laws and legal constrictions. This is false! It is everyone's moral duty to assure that everyone enjoys the rights (in this case, marriage) that they do, despite the differences. In the Christian faith (which the majority of the world is, so it is the one I will use as an example), humans are given choices for a reason. They can choose to follow God and obey his commands or turn away from God and not follow his commands. Even if they don't believe that gay marriage is right, forcing their beliefs upon others takes away the gift (or curse) of choice that God gave everyone. That is most certainly not a moral thing to do. And if someone does not choose to follow a set of morals, then why would that person possibly want to and where would they think they have just cause to impede the progress of this movement? In closing, legalizing gay marriage would be moral and just in allowing gay couples freedom of religion and freedom from religion.
Sdgydnhgn

Con

Christianity and most major religons all speak against gays and in countries such as the USA although the nation has no religious Ty's to government still is founded under God therefor it would only be right to follow his law and in most other countries religon is strongly tied to government with most speaking against gays
LukeKrog

Pro

Thank you for your argument Sdgydnhgn.

I actually agree with almost everything my opponent brought up. How most major religions worldwide speak out against gay marriage. How it is only right to follow God's law. By this reasoning however, every sin would be made illegal. You couldn't curse or you would be fined, you couldn't sneer at your neighbor without getting a ticket. But think, if we were forced by law to follow one religion would that religion really mean anything? I certainly don't think so. Each and every person must choose to be moral, choose to follow God, choose to live a righteous life. As I previously stated, God gave us a choice for a reason. Gay marriage is oppression and it is only moral and just for it to be made legal worldwide.
Sdgydnhgn

Con

You do make a good point with the fact of all of gods laws but if gay marriage was moral and just why can't a gay relationship bring offspring? Why is it that out of the few species that have sex for pleasure only humans have gays? Plus if gay marriage was made legal world wide you would affend religon tied government countries that are strictly against gays . people from these countries would believe gay marriage is immoral
LukeKrog

Pro

I think you missed some of my points. I am not debating that gay marriage is moral. That is not what this debate is about. This debate is about whether or not it is moral to make gay marriage legal. A marriage is not required to bring forth offspring. A couple can be married their whole lives without producing a single child. Sex is also not required to bring forth offspring. It is not a law that all married couples must produce children. I do admit that sex is almost always present in a marriage. However, as long as contraception and the ability to predict women's sexual cycles is available, marriage and sex will not have to lead to children. Also, gay marriages can't necessarily produce children, but they can provide a stable home and family to orphans. While you could argue that living with gay parents is not the ideal life, I think it would be hard to argue that it is worse than living on the streets as a child or in an orphanage. To refute your second argument about how we would be offending other countries, I would say the following. Many countries worldwide are turning toward legalizing gay marriage and that list is only growing. Mexico (some parts), United Kingdom, France, Denmark, Canada, Brazil, South Africa, Spain, United States (in some states), and many more countries allow same-sex marriages. Many others recognize some sort of civil union for same-sex couples. Worldwide trends are changing and gay marriage legalization is strongly growing in popularity. In conclusion, gay and strait marriages aren't legally obligated to bring forth offspring, gay marriages can provide benefits to society, and the world is trending towards gay marriage. Thank you for your arguments, Con (your name is quite hard to remember).

(1) http://www.ranker.com...
Sdgydnhgn

Con

While a lot of countries are going pro-gay a lot are still going con-gay so if we made a world wide choice for gay marriage this would increase tension and maybe even cause war. Plus who would be able to make a world wide law such as this?
LukeKrog

Pro

Con, I am not proposing ways to make gay marriage legal or saying that anyone has the authority to make such a decision. Countries must make up their own minds about gay marriage and this will take some time. I am just saying, in a fair and just world, gay marriage would be legal worldwide. Don't get caught up on the worldwide bit of the title. I just included it to show that I believe my ideas and reasoning transcend any one country. Since you did not yet refute my arguments on the morality and justice behind gay marriage and focused only on the worldwide part, which I explained, I will give you the last round to do so.

Thank you for the debate con, thank you audience for following this debate, and thank you voters for deciding the outcome.
Sdgydnhgn

Con

You see the problem with thinking on the morality or justice of the situation is that it is ones opinion you think it is moral and just yet I think the opposite because it is against my beliefs and unnatural in nature. So what it comes down to is the opinion of that particular country . I thank you for letting me have this debate and thank all who vote and comment.
Posted by LukeKrog 2 years ago
LukeKrog
So you don't think I properly proved it? Do you really think the Con made more convincing arguments?
Posted by LukeKrog 2 years ago
LukeKrog
Mwen, don't be foolish. I, not being gay, cannot hope to fully understand those that are, but to simply assume that everyone is born in the same way with the same feelings and affections shows that you need to think more on the issue. Tolerance and kindness come with accepting those you do not understand.
Posted by mwen0313 2 years ago
mwen0313
Gay marriage is just wrong! Everyone is born the same so, why are some people gay? The reason is that they have mental problem. If something is wrong then, STOP promoting it!
Posted by Sdgydnhgn 2 years ago
Sdgydnhgn
Truly not truest
Posted by Sdgydnhgn 2 years ago
Sdgydnhgn
Hematite 12 you have truest shown your full ignorance by not reading the full argument before speaking
Posted by LukeKrog 2 years ago
LukeKrog
No, he said that humans are the only species that uses sex as a means of pleasure rather than a survival necessity that have gays.
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
There's no way Sdgydnhgn is serious. He must be trolling. Did he actually just say that humans are the only species with gays?

Congratulations, you are contributing to the next generation of mindless bigots! With total falsehoods and uninformed drivel, you make the world worse for the rest of us.
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Laws must be based on morality otherwise they are not just. To remove morality from the equation is to make the law fundamentally invalid.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
LukeKrogSdgydnhgnTied
Reasons for voting decision: While I believe that pro put significantly more effort into this debate I don't believe that he proved that gay marriage should be legal worldwide.