Kieran182
Telanian

Gay Marriage Should be Legalized in the UK

Kieran182

Pro

Why not? Who does legalizing gay marriage negatively affect? The only people it affects are gay couples who want to get married and it affects them in a positive way; therefore there is no reason why it shouldn't be legalized.
Telanian

Con

Let me start by thanking my opponent for what should hopefully be a very interesting debate.

Now, he makes the very simplistic claim that gay marriage only affects gay couples, and since it only affects them in a positive way, there is no reason not to legalise it. This is simplistic because one could say much the same about incestuous couples, or polygamous relationships. Laws reflect the values of society, and what we choose to legalise does have consequences on the rest of society, in terms of the message sent out to that society about the morals that we choose to value; and so just because a small minority want something, that doesn't necessarily mean that they should be granted it.

Let us remember that no-one is saying that homosexual couples cannot have their union recognised by the State, and benefit from all the legal protection that comes from that. The Civil Partnership Bill, finally passed in 2005, granted homosexuals, through civil-partnerships, recognition and protection under the law that is identical to what heterosexual couples already receive. [1] The only difference is the name. For heterosexuals, this is called marriage. For homosexuals, this is called civil-partnership.

So let us be very clear here. This debate is not over whether homosexuals should or should not be allowed to live together, have sex, be recognised in law as a couple, have the same tax benefits as married couples, etc. In the UK, they already have all those rights, and it is right that they have them. The issue here is simply over a single name. Should they be allowed to call their union a marriage or not?

I submit to you that they should not.

The UK is unquestionably a Christian country. In the 2001 census, 72% affiliated themselves with the Christian faith. [2] Our society and government is based on Christian values - we even have Bishops in the House of Lords, and the monarch is bound, by our unwritten constitution, to be the head of the Church of England. This does not mean that we don't recognise Freedom of Religion; of course we do! Every citizen has the right to hold any faith (or none at all) as they so wish. But the point is that the vast majority of the population is Christian, and so it is right, in a democratic society, that the laws of said society respect the values of the majority, one of which is that the institution of marriage is a spiritual union, ordained by God, between one man and one woman.

The State can do many things. But the one thing it cannot do is interfere in matters of religious conscience. It has no right to presume that it can interfere with or otherwise redefine the institution of marriage, when the majority of the population holds that marriage is a god-given institution.

This of course does not prevent the state from creating its own institution - in this case civil partnerships - under which homosexuals can have identical rights to 'ordinary' married couples, which is exactly what it has done. This is a perfectly sensible and reasonable compromise, and it is one that should be maintained.

[1] = http://news.bbc.co.uk...
[2] = http://news.bbc.co.uk...
Kieran182

Pro

Kieran182 forfeited this round.
Telanian

Con

I continue to affirm my arguments.
Kieran182

Pro

Kieran182 forfeited this round.
Telanian

Con

I continue to affirm.
Posted by ScarletGhost4396 4 years ago
ScarletGhost4396
Oh, it's no big deal. I was the same way when I started using this site.
Posted by Kieran182 4 years ago
Kieran182
Nevermind, just saw your profile :) Sorry I'm new to all this so I'm just getting used to it. Anyway, WAY TO GO SCARLET!
Posted by Telanian 4 years ago
Telanian
This should be interesting.

I'd just like to state for the record that I actually do think that gay marriage should be legalised, but it should be interesting arguing things from 'the other side'!
Posted by Kieran182 4 years ago
Kieran182
What stance do you take on this matter, ScarletGhost?
Posted by ScarletGhost4396 4 years ago
ScarletGhost4396
Oh, if only you had been CON. Then, this would've been an interesting debate. I'm guessing you pay attention to the news.