Gay Marriage does not effect others.

I am not gay. I have friends who are gay and wish to marry. I fully support them.

I would like to hear arguments which show how gay marriage effects other people or society as a whole.

I shall let me opponent go first.

According to the resolution, I must present any evidence that gay marriage affects people (other than those being married) and society whether or not the effects are adverse. Instead of looking to arguments of what may happen if made legal, I will take situations where gay marriage is already legal and show that gay marriage affects other people and society in general.

Public Health
Let's take Massachusetts and observe the health consequences of same-sex marriage in this state. Surprisingly, the rates of HIV/AIDS have increased considerably.[1] Public funding to deal with HIV/AIDS rose to $500,000 in 2008.[2] In addition to public health, citizens will be paying for this increase of HIV/AIDS and thus it affects them (especially if healthcare is socialized).

Increase of out-of-wedlock births
In the netherlands, the legalization of same-sex marriage coincided with a sharp increase of out-of-wedlock births nearly doubling to 31% in 2003. [3] An explanation is that the meaning of marriage became vague, seemingly due its restructuring, and instead of marrying, people just had sex. Procreation was no longer associated with marriage.

Effect on public schools
It has been noted in U.S. states and other countries such as the UK [4] that since the legalization of gay marriage, children are being taught views on marriage that can often be different than those their parents teach. Obviously this may not necessarily be wrong or bad, but regardless of differing opinions, it is still affecting children and education.

Government mandates
I already touched on some of the health effects that will cost American citizens. Since same-sex marriage was made 'legal', legislature in such states have now given tax money to homosexual activist groups. [5]

I hope everyone has seen that gay marriage obviously has effects on society and people. Whether or not these effects are detrimental to society is irrelevant, however I believe they are detrimental. In fact I also foresee many worse effects such as a destruction of marriage and sex. However, I cannot have certain knowledge that this will happen and that is why I do not use this as an argument in this debate. I cannot see my opponent winning this debate as I have given sound observations instead of simply using reasoning.

1. HIV/AIDS increases have no correlation to gay marriage rights. Not sure where your going with that one.
2. Just because homosexual's share the same right's of marriage does not mean that marital anarchy will ensue. A better explanation for that 31% increase in the Netherlands is a generational difference, along with a growing rate of atheism in the nation.
3. The same thing used to happen with 'Separate but Equal' racial issues... now isn't that alittle outdated?
4. Lobbyists give money to every prominent group; this is not an oddity. It is not government tax money either.

I'm disappointed that those were the only points you could muster up to prove that gay marriage effects other people. Having kid's think about social issues in school has no impact on them outside the normal realm.

You are a bigot.

You have an interesting response.

1. Look at the statistics. Half of the AIDS/HIV population is found in the gay community. First of all, children of gay couples have a higher chance of becoming homosexual.[1] An increase of the gay population will thus increase the rate of HIV/AIDS as well as additional health issues. In Canada, "gay/bisexual men have a life expectancy 20 years less than the average man."[2] Even if my statistics on health issues increasing are false, (which I don't believe they are) then still the government will inevitably increase the funding for AIDS research, having a financial effect upon society. It has already done so on several occasions and in several countries.

2. "Just because homosexual's share the same right's of marriage..." What same rights? At least in America, everyone has the same rights as everyone else.
Marital anarchy is a strong word, and I don't think its the right word. While marital anarchy is something that may occur, I don't think it has in this Netherlands case. "A better explanation for that 31% increase in the Netherlands is a generational difference, along with a growing rate of atheism in the nation." First of all, it was after gay marriage that this very sharp rise occurred. There is good reason to believe that this legalization had an effect on the young people and everyone else for that matter. Also, you argue that there is a correlation with atheism. I didn't know atheists were any more likely to have sex out of marriage than anyone else. Secondly, I think this is a better argument for my position as gay marriage is often a stance of atheists. Thus the increase of atheism likely influenced same-sex marriage, which in turn influenced the purpose of marriage. This is all speculation of course, but the point is the statistic itself and what it entails.

3. Your response is a red herring. Firstly, we're not talking about racism which is a completely separate issue. Secondly it does not change the influence, whether good or bad, of gay marriage on education. Abolishing racism had an effect on society did it not?

4. Give me some legitimate sources on this that refute my source, and I will concede this point. Also, gay couples will receive new benefits from the government which will in turn cost society. I will not argue that there is anything wrong with this, but it obviously affects society.

The points I have made are not outrageous consequences of gay marriage, nor are they necessarily against gay marriage. According to the resolution, I must prove that gay marriage will have an effect on society and other people. I don't know what this "normal realm" you speak of is. I defend that my arguments, which may not be what you expected to hear, are legitimate.

At the end of your response, you call me a bigot for no reason that I can see. Please explain why I am a bigot.

Intellectual_Perplexion forfeited this round.

Extend arguments, vote con.
Posted by Extremely-Far-Right 5 years ago
Mr. Carrol, I like the way you debate! Nice form!