Latinking1
logicinlife

Gay Marriage isn't Wrong

Latinking1

Pro

I don't hate God when I say this, but gay marriage is not wrong. I'm not denying that God isn't real, but do you think he would want us to to consider a marriage a sin. If that is true, then you better stop eating pork because that's against the Bible too. Also tattoos, shellfish/oysters, torn clothes, and long hair. Leviticus was written during a time when stoning was an acceptable punishment for breaking these rules. I think God wouldn't mind if we allowed gay marriage. Don't you agree?
logicinlife

Con

This is my first time accepting a challenge and so we will see how well this goes. I look forward to our debate.

Pro, bases this debate on biblical terms specifically so I will be addressing the biblical view of homosexual marriage, or homosexual relationships.

"do you think he would want us to consider a marriage a sin. (?)" (Question mark added for Pro) God would NOT want to consider a marriage a sin, but also set a specific formula for what marriage is supposed to be like, which is supported through the bible and the book of nature.

I must ask Pro, before continuing on further, what is sin? What is your understanding of sin? And once Pro has learned what sin is I want Pro to answer the following; if you aren't actively a Christian, of Jew, than why do you care whether or not the Bible declares something a sin? This question is important, because many get offended by the word sin without realizing what sin specifically means.

"If that is true, then you better stop eating pork because that's against the Bible too. Also tattoos, selfish/oysters, torn clothes, and long hair. Leviticus was written during a time when stoning was an acceptable punishment for breaking these rules."

My opponent makes several errors here, in regards to this debate. I will explain. Pro seems to confuse the moral, civil, and ceremonial laws of the Old Testament while also failing to address the context of Leviticus to begin with. "The nature of the Law in Leviticus is somewhat different from that of Exodus." (Arnold & Beyer, 2012. p. 122) Ultimately is he is taking laws that became ceremonial and civil laws and addressing them as if they became moral law.

This mistake is important to address after raising the question; "Are you a convert to Judaism or Christianity?" Judaism's Hebrew Bible, The Tanakh recognizes these laws still since the fulfillment of the law has not yet come. In Christianity, the law has been fulfilled therefore the ceremonial laws and civil laws are not to be observed and our example is no longer in the traditional laws of Judaism, but in Jesus Christ whom we are to follow. In the book of Acts, which is the early church history of the Bible we can see where Peter struggles with not having to follow those ceremonial laws as well as accept the Gentiles (non-Jewish people as clean) since the law has been fulfilled. Acts 11:6-9, "I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles and birds. Then I heard a voice telling me, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.' I replied, 'Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth' The voice spoke from heaven a second time, 'Do not call anything impure that God has made clean." Pork was considered unclean, in Leviticus' context pagans were tattooing their bodies to worship their gods, shellfish/oysters were considered unclean and as was torn clothing and long hair. Through Jesus Christ we are considered righteous and clean in the Lord's eyes where before we had to follow every detail precisely to be considered holy. This however does not mean that we can go on sinning since we are considered clean. I recommend you read the Book of Galatians since I don't have enough characters to explain every theological doctrine to you. Basically, reconciliation is through faith alone which produces works through the Spirit.

Now that I explained that ceremonial laws and civil laws are different from what we are speaking of I will go into homosexuality. "Scripture does not address mere homosexual acts; it also provides a basis for understanding the implications of homosexuality for the family, society, and the church. First, as Romans 1 (New Testament, not Leviticus) makes absolutely clear, homosexuality is an act of unbelief. As Paul writes, the wrath of God is revealed against all those "who suppress the truth in unrighteousness." (Romans 1:18) "The Broader context (Romans 1:25-27 of Paul's rejection of homosexuality is clear: Homosexuality is rebellion against God's sovereign intention in creation, and a perversion of His good and perfect plan for his created order." (Mohler, 2011. p. 272)

Since Pro is speaking on marriage in regards to the bible, the bible makes it clear in Matthew 19:4-5 and Genesis 2:24 that biblical marriage is between a man and woman. Read Genesis 2 to view the complete picture that woman was created as a companion to man, they compliment each other.

The problems, Pro, that homosexuals run into is the fact that they are trying to get EVERYONE to believe that what they do is natural. Instead of accepting the civil benefits, they want their marriage ordained by God which is impossible, because homosexuality is unnatural and against God's created order. Christians alike have agreed that homosexuals can have their civil union, but they are trying to take it all, which is contradictory to scripture. By biblical terms Homosexual marriage is wrong, and not God ordained.

My argument against Pro's debate that Homosexuality isn't wrong biblically, has been efficiently refuted. And to answer Pro's question, "don't you agree" I would answer, No...sir, I don't believe I do.

Good day!

References
Encountering the Old Testament, Arnold&Beyer, 2012.
The Big Issues/Popular Encyclopedia, Mohler, 2012.
The Bible, NIV.
The NIV Application, Snodgrass 2011.
Latinking1

Pro

Latinking1 forfeited this round.
logicinlife

Con

Extend my arguments.

My opponent has forfeited, and I ask that voters consider this.

Vote Con.
Latinking1

Pro

Latinking1 forfeited this round.
logicinlife

Con

Extend my arguments.

Vote Con.

Posted by logicinlife 1 year ago
logicinlife
Thank you, sir. I have subscribed to your debate and look forward to what you further present.
Posted by beanall 1 year ago
beanall
Great arguments! I may have to refer to this debate later on lol. This one should be a W for you.
Posted by logicinlife 1 year ago
logicinlife
Daniel, you raise a great point. For some reason most people (including christians) seem to miss N.T. texts, which deem homosexuality is immoral. For some odd reason, everyone points to leviticus only.
Posted by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Daniel_Nemes
Also:

Leviticus 18:22

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans 1:26-28

For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.

Leviticus 20:13

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

1 Timothy 1:10

The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

1 Corinthians 7:2

But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

1 Timothy 1:10-11

The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.

Mark 10:6-9

But from the beginning of creation, "God made them male and female." "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." So they
Posted by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Daniel_Nemes
Eating pork was only bad because the humans of that time could not clean the animal properly. God did not want his people to suffer food poisoning.