drosenbloom18
Vedney

Gay Marriage should be legal in the United States.

Vedney

drosenbloom18

Pro

Before I begin I would like to clarify that marriage, in this argument, will be defined as: "The legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship" (Oxford Dictionary).

The only thing I have to provide for my opening position is that there is no valid reason to not allow gays to marry. My opponent will refute me by providing valid reasons.
Vedney

Con

Introduction:

Before I present my argument, I would like to say that I had made a mistake. I had accepted the position of Con without carefully reading what my position would be. I will not, however, forfeit. All I ask of the voters is to vote not based on which side they actually agree with, but on who had the better and compelling argument, as how debates are supposed to be.

A
rgument:

1. Marriage has been tradionally defined through centuries (excluding recent jurisdictions) as between men and women.

Tradition has been the basis of culture. A change in the norm would break the tradition, and although it would make a new one, the old tradition would be lost. An example of such is Latin, which, after the Fall of Rome, people began to speak less of. They may have gained new traditions in their language, they also had lost a common language to commnicate.

I will wait until the next round for my opponent to make his argument and rebuttals.
drosenbloom18

Pro

Before I continue, I would like to thank my opponent for arguing a position that they did not originally intend to accept, and also not using a religious viewpoint.

My opponent stated that legalizing same-sex marriage would break the tradition of marriage. However, they did not say how changing this tradition would negatively affect heterosexual marriages. Heterosexual marriage is not affected in any way by allowing gay marriage. The only difference is that homosexuals couples would have the same basic human rights as heterosexual couples.

I would also like to add that legalizing same-sex marriage does not harm society in any way.
Vedney

Con

With US divorce rates at about 50% [1], some gay couples would also have to experience divorce if gay marriage was legal.

[1] http://www.cdc.gov...
drosenbloom18

Pro

drosenbloom18 forfeited this round.
Vedney

Con

Conclusion:

I would like to mention that my opponent forfeited the last round without rebutting my arguments. Vote accordingly.
Posted by Vedney 2 years ago
Vedney
It would be amazing if the only debate I would win so far would be one where I played Devil's Advocate.
Posted by Narwhalicorn 2 years ago
Narwhalicorn
I want to thank Vedney personally for providing a non-religious viewpoint as to why we shouldn't legalize gay marriage. You have NO idea how nice it is to hear that, even if I'm supporting it.
Vote Placed by a_mysterious_stranger 2 years ago
a_mysterious_stranger
drosenbloom18VedneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had no sources, not a convincing argument, and forfeited the last round, but did have better spelling and grammar. Con was more convincing, had better conduct, and used one source. Con could have used more sources though.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
drosenbloom18VedneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by RevL8ion 2 years ago
RevL8ion
drosenbloom18VedneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm in favor of gay marriage, but Pro's made a pitiful argument in this debate, with a forfeit at the end. Conduct to Con, spelling to Pro for less spelling errors, Arguments to Con, and Sources to Con.