abard124
TigerFB21

Gay Marriage should be legal

abard124

abard124

Pro

I was very disappointed by tonight's results in Maine. Mainers have said yes. Yes to hate. Yes to fear. Yes to discrimination.
I have debated this before, but I feel like nothing can be addressed too much.
I will allow my opponent to begin, and then I will delve into my arguments.
TigerFB21

Con

I am from Iowa and am very unhappy about this same sex marriage issue.
At first i thought it was a great idea let them do what they want it's there choice right...
But then my mom gave me some facts and i would like you to think about this...the way that gay men have intercourse is very bad for their health:
The AIDs rate in homosexual males is considerably higher than in heterosexual males. This is killing off themselves to fast and they just keep doing it and doing it.
Now, people think that when somebody says they are against gay marriage that they hate gay people...not true. I have a cousin who is gay and we get along very well but as I said earlier it is unhealthy for them and they are unaware of the risk that they put themselves in.

Also in Iowa the supreme court said it was unconstitutional and that immediatly made it a law which is total BS. it never went through senate or anything and what should have been done is that it should have been brought to a vote

We are still pushing for the vote but it is not working. Right now the state of Iowa is turning into a monarchy an that is not right.
abard124

Pro

Thank you for your response.

You seem to be a little misinformed about this whole issue.

You are correct that there is a higher AIDS rate among gay men, but the reality is that you can also get AIDS and other STD's from the other gender. I don't know why it is more prevalent in the homosexual community, but it can be transmitted to any gender from any gender. Also, before anyone marries, they usually get blood tests to determine whether they do have any STD's. AIDS and other STD's are not generated during sex, one of the partners has to have it in the first place.

Also, just because something is bad for your health doesn't mean that it should be illegal. Donuts are bad for your health. TV's are bad for your health. My point is, every time you have unprotected sex with anyone, male or female, you are taking a risk, so we shouldn't single out a specific group of people.

If anything, allowing gays to marry will actually decrease the risk for HIV/AIDS in the LGBT community because it will promote monogamous relationships.

You also claim that the supreme court of Iowa acted unconstitutionally in allowing gay marriage without a vote of the people or the legislature. I can see where you are coming from, but the point of the judicial branch is to determine if a law is constitutional or fair. It was their prerogative to overturn that law.

And you can vote on it in Iowa but you will need enough people to sign a petition. If you can't get enough people to sign the petition than the law probably wouldn't pass anyway.

I am looking forward to your response!
TigerFB21

Con

Okay about your petition thing...WE DID!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY THREW IT OUT AND SAID WE HAD NO RIGHT TO VOTE OVER IT!!!!!! And like I said they just said it was unconstitutional so the senate automatically said it was a law it never had to be taken to a vote which is total BS so now i have to go debate this months topic in debate so my opponent can take the stage
abard124

Pro

Okay, first of all, we're debating gay marriage, not whether Iowa was constitutional. I agree that the people should be able to vote. In Maine, I'm not upset that they voted, I'm upset with the outcome of the vote.

In any case, it is unjust to take such a simple, harmless right away from a whole group of people just because of who they are. You may have heard of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He had a dream that his children would be treated fairly, and not based on the color of their skin. Well I have a dream that my children will be treated fairly. I have a dream that they won't be discriminated against because of what gender they are attracted to.

Now, I am in no way comparing myself to MLK Jr. I will never be half the man he was. I am, however, restating his point, because clearly, 52% of Maine voters didn't understand what he meant. He wanted equality for everyone. Just because he was black doesn't mean that was all he stood for. I'm not gay, but I'm also not black, but that doesn't mean that I'd accept their exploitation, and it's the same issue with gays. We are exploiting them, and it is not acceptable.

I would like to thank my opponent, and with that, I will leave it to the voters to decide who was right.
TigerFB21

Con

Okay i will agree that this is not a debate about how Iowa was unconstitutional and I will most likely lose this debate but because people just look at the subject and don't give the facts so I will straight up leave it to the voters because Zetsubou is a douche and I knwo I will lose a point for conduct but i don't give a crap.
Posted by TOMlive 7 years ago
TOMlive
this guy tiger is a faa*g
Posted by Marauder 7 years ago
Marauder
rayedawg2013, convincing someone to switch views is hard, especially when the person who is defending there initial view mentions virtually none of the reasons they hold it for and gives none of the responses that come to there mind when they see the opponents case. as a result the opponent never says anything that relates to why they want to keep their view. the only way that person could ever hope to change those views is if they debate a LOT of point that their opponent didn't bother offering.
Posted by rayedawg2013 7 years ago
rayedawg2013
First of all I don't vote for myself that would be gay and cheating and second (I know I do it) They just skim through the debate and give the person they agree with all the points
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
And if they had said that in the 1960's, white people would have to use different water fountains than African Americans.

And if they'd said that in the 1860's, we would still have slaves.
Posted by TOMlive 7 years ago
TOMlive
gay marriage should be legal of course. But it's really just a distraction from bigger political issues
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
Well, he has 2 votes of 7... So he over voted for himself and then someone else did... I understand that other people have differing opinions, but I'd say it's pretty universal that my spelling and grammar was better than his, and that neither of us used sources. Not only that, but he conceded that I won in conduct, and he had no real arguments to speak of. If I didn't convince you, that's fine, but please vote honestly.
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Your opponent probably voted for himself.

I personally am strongly against gay marriage, but I voted PRO. CON had no reliable arguments, no sources, poor conduct, and no real rebuttals.
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
I'm not one to complain (or care) about how people vote in a debate, but clearly 2 people gave my opponent conduct, s&g, and sources. I'm just wondering, how did you come to that conclusion? Neither of us presented any sources, so neither of us should get the point. And my opponent even conceded that he lost in conduct. Think before you vote, people...
Posted by TigerFB21 7 years ago
TigerFB21
I never said that was my source I was using it as someone agrees with me which many people do
Posted by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
Zetsubou, does have a small point... How harsh it may have come out, aside.
Vote Placed by macherie 7 years ago
macherie
abard124TigerFB21Tied
Vote Placed by Marauder 7 years ago
Marauder
abard124TigerFB21Tied
Vote Placed by chicagovigilante 7 years ago
chicagovigilante
abard124TigerFB21Tied
Vote Placed by liberalboy92 7 years ago
liberalboy92
abard124TigerFB21Tied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
abard124TigerFB21Tied
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
abard124TigerFB21Tied
Vote Placed by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
abard124TigerFB21Tied
Vote Placed by TigerFB21 7 years ago
TigerFB21
abard124TigerFB21Tied
Vote Placed by rayedawg2013 7 years ago
rayedawg2013
abard124TigerFB21Tied