hsmagellan
somedude224

Gay Marriage

hsmagellan

Pro

I just want to know why anyone would oppose gay marriage? I am a 61 year old woman who was married for over 40 years to a man that was the love of my life. Every one should have loves of their lives and if they so choose legal attachments. If churches do not want them so be it. I would much rather have loving commited people in my midst.
somedude224

Con

My Points
1. It Is Not Marriage
First of all. Calling something marriage does not make it marriage. Marriage has always been a covenant between a man and a woman which is by its nature ordered toward the procreation and education of children and the unity and wellbeing of the spouses.

The promoters of same-sex "marriage" propose something entirely different. They propose the union between two men or two women. This denies the self-evident biological, physiological, and psychological differences between men and women which find their complementarity in marriage. It also denies the specific primary purpose of marriage: the perpetuation of the human race and the raising of children.

2. It Violates Natural Law

Marriage is not just any relationship between human beings. It is a relationship rooted in human nature and thus governed by natural law.

Natural law"s most elementary precept is that "good is to be done and pursued, and evil is to be avoided." By his natural reason, man can perceive what is morally good or bad for him. Thus, he can know the end or purpose of each of his acts and how it is morally wrong to transform the means that help him accomplish an act into the act"s purpose.

Any situation which institutionalizes the circumvention of the purpose of the sexual act violates natural law and the objective norm of morality.

Being rooted in human nature, natural law is universal and immutable. It applies to the entire human race, equally. It commands and forbids consistently, everywhere and always.
hsmagellan

Pro

Marriage, Legal Union, Legal Commitment .....Call it what you WILL. I am not trying to WILL anyone. I just don't understand why anyone would be against two WILLING adults the right to make a legal commitment to each other. They are not going in to your church and asking your God to consent. They are not even going to ask for your approval or consent. All it means is that they have legal rights in their legal commitment. The right to make decisions on each others behalf perhaps in a medical emergency. The right to file joint tax returns. The right to make property decisions. All of these rights and so much more that we men/women marriages have been granted and have taken for granted. I just think two adults who find love and are willing to make this kind of commitment to each other should be honored and celebrated and given the right to make a legal commitment that gives them the same rights as any MARRIED couple.
somedude224

Con

somedude224 forfeited this round.
hsmagellan

Pro

hsmagellan forfeited this round.
somedude224

Con

somedude224 forfeited this round.
Posted by wolfman4711 3 years ago
wolfman4711
Because on his or her account its says male but in the debate he/she claims to be female.
Posted by wolfman4711 3 years ago
wolfman4711
Biased statement (below)
Posted by Nonsensicality 3 years ago
Nonsensicality
I understand completely @hsmagellan . People are against it because they think they know everything and they are scared by anything new that they don't know. I for one agree with you. Love is love. Who cares what genders it is between?
Posted by Diirez 3 years ago
Diirez
Why does it matter if he's male or female?
Posted by wolfman4711 3 years ago
wolfman4711
It says on your account that your a male.