VinhVuong
Cicero21

Gay Marriage

Con Tied Pro

VinhVuong

Con

I am highly against gay marriage. I believe that gays can do whatever they would like in their personal time but I do not want them to be able to marry. A marriage is between a man and a women. Gays are people, but people who are doing the wrong things. Do not pull this is like race, it isnt.
Cicero21

Pro

Cicero21 forfeited this round.
VinhVuong

Con

This person does not have an argument for me, what a shame. Gay Marriage should be baned, it is not right, marriage should only be between a man or a women.
Cicero21

Pro

Please forgive my delay in answering, there has been a lot going on for me right now. So, you have yet to explain why you believe gay marriage is wrong. What does it harm you? Ok, Answer me a couple questions...

1. What does it hurt you if there is gay marriage?

2. Why doesn't everyone deserve to have this right?

3. You say to not make this like race, but in many ways it is. Isn't not wanting homosexual people to marry another form of discrimination?

4. Why should someone not have the same rights as you just because they're a little different than you?

I invite you to answer these questions to help me understand where you're coming from. You haven't made a single argument, you've just babbled on about how you believe you have more of a right than somebody else to get married.
VinhVuong

Con

I am a very religous person. I believe that gays have the right to be what they want and do what they want, I am in favor of that, they do have rights but they just shouldnt get married. Marriage is under the bible and being gay is a sin. And don't you think it is wrong? A man and a women was meant to be. God created it that way.

Everyone?Everyone isn't gay.

3. You say to not make this like race, but in many ways it is. Isn't not?
This is not discrimination. I am perfectly ok with them being gay and whatever they do on their free time but they should not get married. I prefer if they didn't show what they are in public but thats not right. I will admit.

We were all born the same. We all just ended up differently. And the right to gay marriage should not be legalize in which I was born right. I love women and women only. They are a little different but isn't everyone different in a way?
Cicero21

Pro

Let me respond to your arguments one at a time.

First of all, let me address the point of religion. First of all, isn't it up to each religion to decide if they want to condone gay marriage and not just Catholicism? And another thing, getting married has nothing to do with the church, there are marriages performed by public officers. Also, if marriage is all about religion, why do atheists marry? Marriage in this country is not just defined by the church, we do not live in a theocracy, where all decisions are made by the church, the way you argue, you're saying that anybody who has different religious beliefs than you shouldn't be allowed to marry because not believing in God is a sin as well.

As for your answer to my second question, you miss the point of my argument completely. I'll concede one point to you, everyone is not gay. But my point is that everyone deserves the right to MARRY, you just freak out when you see the word gay anywhere near the word marriage.

How is this not discrimination? The definition of discrimination, taken directly from the dictionary is: "the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit." That is exactly what you are doing, passing judgment on a person simply because of their sexual preference. You cannot say it isn't discrimination; you are taking someone's rights away simply because you don't agree to what they do. Do you agree with crime? Well, I hope you wouldn't as it would go against your fine moral background. So, then according to you, anyone who has committed a crime shouldn't be allowed to marry either.

I'm sorry, but I don't even understand what point you were trying to make in your last answer. In lieu of trying to sort through what you mean, I'm just going to make a few closing points. You say that you have more of a right to marry simply because of how you were born. You wave religion in my face, but religion really has nothing to do with this topic. First of all, different religions have the right to decide if they support gay marriage. Second of all, marriage is not only a religious act, it can be the act of the state, how else do atheists get married? You say you are perfectly ok with people being homosexual, yet this isn't the case because the idea of them getting married seems to disgust you.

As one person said in a comment, many, many countries have legalized gay marriage and the world has yet to end. Times are changing, being so strongly opposed to gay marriage simply shows a closed mind and an unwillingness to change. Without change, women would still be unable to vote, African-Americans would be forced into sub-par schools, or worse, still be in slavery, and people would still believe the earth was flat. Legalizing gay marriage is simply the next step in the evolution of society and should be put into law as soon as humanly possible.

(P.S. Next time you debate, please remove the obvious spelling and grammar errors, it makes it extremely hard to understand your arguments when I have to spend so long simply trying to figure out what you were trying to say.)
Posted by JonJon 8 years ago
JonJon
VinhVuong ran away. account was closed
Posted by patrock2 8 years ago
patrock2
To find the real reasons behind the pulpits for the resistance to gay marriage you need look no further than the insurance company lobbyists-more benefits will have to be paid,and Social Security death benefits-We don't have the money for heterosexual spouses to collect let alone 'gay' spouses. "Follow the money" as 'deep throat'(Watergate)(no pun intended) once said.
Ignorance knows no boundaries. Not so long ago it was once thought that women weren't smart enough to vote, that teaching African Americans to read was dangerous,that Indians had to adapt to our culture or die..Some still think the holocaust never happened, that the earth was actually created in seven days and if we sailed far enough to the ends of the earth we would fall off! "Gays shouldn't marry"-the 21st century debate-well It is this peculiar tunnel vision that fuels the flames of intolerance;of ignorance,of hatred.
As a great teacher once said:let he who is without sin cast the first stone. render unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's and to God that which is Gods'. In other words let them pay the marriage license fees, pay the marriage tax, and yes, pay the divorce lawyers too,and leave the judging business to God-We're not qualified.
Posted by mindjob 8 years ago
mindjob
Very good debate, pro. Con tossed up a softball to you and you knocked it out of the park.
Posted by JonJon 8 years ago
JonJon
People can be against gay marriage all they want but it's already happened. The US will eventually catch up to the civilised world.

I'm partnered/married to a man here in Germany. We have the same joys and struggles that our heterosexual counterparts have.

The instigator of this argument has a lot of growing up to do.... because it's already happening in many countries and several states. The sky has yet to fall.
Posted by francis 8 years ago
francis
think that this person vilifying people of different nature is somewhat very unreasonable because in the first place don't these people have the free will to do what ever they like just because they are not accepted in our society ? I must say that if that is the case then it is not true that discrimination is not proper . And the side of the con wants us to know that in order for you to fully enjoy your rights as a person you must folloe always the rule of nature.
Posted by buttercupx224 8 years ago
buttercupx224
Anybody who is against gay marriage is a complete and utter ahole. Why do you care what happens to people you don't know? That is like telling someone you meet on the street to change their shoes because "you think they're ugly". Well I'll tell you something, it is a sick sick world when people can accept each other for who they are and try to pry into others' business. Not only that, but you had no justification for your arguement and you can't spell 'banned' properly.
Vote Placed by divid 8 years ago
divid
VinhVuongCicero21Tied
Vote Placed by Chob 8 years ago
Chob
VinhVuongCicero21Tied
Vote Placed by pazmusik 8 years ago
pazmusik
VinhVuongCicero21Tied
Vote Placed by Bunkka84 8 years ago
Bunkka84
VinhVuongCicero21Tied
Vote Placed by Vinh 8 years ago
Vinh
VinhVuongCicero21Tied
Vote Placed by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
VinhVuongCicero21Tied
Vote Placed by kfarls 8 years ago
kfarls
VinhVuongCicero21Tied
Vote Placed by katieJ8 8 years ago
katieJ8
VinhVuongCicero21Tied
Vote Placed by solo 8 years ago
solo
VinhVuongCicero21Tied
Vote Placed by CharmingAnecdote 8 years ago
CharmingAnecdote
VinhVuongCicero21Tied