mccartya1
head_cheeto

Gay Marriage

head_cheeto

mccartya1

Pro

Gay marriage should be legal is all 50 states. I believe this because there are many people such as my uncle, my great uncle, my aunt, and many other family friends who are gay that have had a big impact on my life that had to go to a different state to get married which I think is just wrong.
head_cheeto

Con

I would first like to thank you for starting this debate and I find this debate to be incredibly interesting. This is a touchy topic and in no way do I disagree with the fact that gay marriage should be allowed. I believe it is a constitutional right to be allowed to partake in gay marriage if one chooses to do so. On the other hand, I do not believe it should be legalized in all fifty states. There are other issues that are only legal or allowed in certain states (marijuana, gun control, doctor assisted suicide, etc.). This should be a matter for the states to decide. There are certain states that would find it morally unacceptable due to the religious background of the state or the location of the state and with that being said, there are some states that would find it acceptable and declare it legal. My point is there are instances where this has occurred in the past and the solution was to go to the states so therefore I find it hard to believe that the solution to this issue would be found on the federal level, especially without bringing the other issues mentioned earlier to a federal as well.

**No outside sources used**
mccartya1

Pro

You are to good I'm really young don't judge but I forgot:-(
head_cheeto

Con

You have nothing to be sorry about, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am glad you started this debate because the more experience you have, the better of a debater you will be. I will give you one tip, on your next debate make sure that you are confident with your answers. Confidence shows and ultimately that will win over the votes. Do not be discouraged and continue to debate. After you get a few debates under your belt, the words will flow with ease.
mccartya1

Pro

Thanks this will help me a lot:-)
head_cheeto

Con

No problem
Posted by illusive 2 years ago
illusive
To bad this one did not get up off the ground.
I would have said something along the lines of states rights begin where federal law ends.
Also would have compared LGBT rights to woman's suffrage and slavery, where in both cases federal law trumped state law in favor of overall human rights. And the religious followers fought tooth and nail against both, but separation of church and state prevents a law being passed solely based on religious belief.
Posted by ADreamOfLiberty 2 years ago
ADreamOfLiberty
I would like to see a debate that actually addresses the real issue here. State recognition.

Homosexuals have been allowed to do pretty much whatever in the U.S. since the 70s. Marriage has never been illegal, it has simply remained unrecognized by the state. There have not been 'bans' on any consenting interactions simply statements to the effect that government benefits meant government registered marriages are not meant for homosexual couples.

Many people try to paint this as some kind of active restriction of liberty but it isn't and hasn't been so, no more than refusing to give scholarships to the children of rich families have been "bans on educating the wealthy."
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
kbub
Yay Oklahoma!
Vote Placed by EndarkenedRationalist 2 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
mccartya1head_cheetoTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO basically surrendered after the first round and never refuted CON's case, so arguments go to CON. Neither side used sources. CON had better S&G (punctuation, mostly). In the future, I think both sides could research a little more and actually have arguments prepared. However, it remained a friendly and positive debate.