bfkennedy
RainbowDash52

Gay Marriage

RainbowDash52

bfkennedy

Pro

I stand completely behind gay marriage. I believe there is nothing wrong with marrying the person you love regardless of the sex of the person. Every person should have the legal right to marry who ever they choose.
RainbowDash52

Con

I accept your debate.

I will be arguing that gay marriage should not be legal, because there should be no kind of legally recognized marriage, because government should not be involved in marriage.

Good luck.
bfkennedy

Pro

Regardless, the government and there affiliation/involvement in marriages of all kinds is a different topic. I am making my case on the fact that everyone else has the "Right to Marriage and Family" except for homosexuals. This doesn't make the case that the government is fully involved with marriage. I am agreeing with you in the sense that the government should not have any say in marriage, but the reality is that they do have little say and I am fighting for the right for homosexuals to have the right to marry. I believe that the government should add homosexuality to the "Right to Marriage and Family"
RainbowDash52

Con

I would like to point out that marriage is just a label. A marriage only exists if people acknowledge that a bond between to people and/or things is a marriage. By saying that someone has a "right to marriage" you are saying that person has the right to have others acknowledge his or her bond as a marriage. People do not have this right, because it would violate others' rights to choose not to recognize your bond as a marriage. Having others recognize your bond as a marriage is a privilege, not a right, thus it can't be the case that homosexuals or anyone else should have the right to marriage. So all my opponent's arguments that state marriage as being a right are incorrect.
bfkennedy

Pro

bfkennedy forfeited this round.
RainbowDash52

Con

My opponent agrees that government should not have a say in marriage, but my opponent also wants government to allow gay marriage. These are contradictory statements, as one says government shouldn't have a say in marriage, and the other says government should say that gay marriage is allowed.

Also, allowing more people to get married, further discriminates against those who choose to be single.
bfkennedy

Pro

bfkennedy forfeited this round.
RainbowDash52

Con

Since my opponent hasn't responded for the last 2 rounds, I have nothing else to add.
Vote Placed by Ajab 2 years ago
Ajab
bfkennedyRainbowDash52Tied
Vote Placed by debatingequality 2 years ago
debatingequality
bfkennedyRainbowDash52Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Good