kittymosh36
Tinman46

Gay Marriage

Tinman46

kittymosh36

Pro

I am a straight Catholic and I believe that homosexuals should be treated as our equals. Why do you believe that homosexuals should not have the same rights as you? If they wish to be Catholic and get married under that, then why push them away from God when he wants us to bring people together under his Church? These are modern times; things have changed. The bible states that it is okay to beat your slave. If you ask me, slavery and beating is certainly not okay. It also says that women should never preach the word of God. I have had many theology teachers; all female. No one seems to have an issue with that though, so there shouldn't be a problem with being homosexual. The bible not meant to be taken literally. Being homosexual is not unnatural; it was scientifically proven that being gay is not a choice. God does not make mistakes and God says we should be accepting of all people. If a homosexual person wishes to get married in a Catholic church, then who are we to stop them?
Tinman46

Con

Yes God loves all people I will not deny that. Yes God wants all people to come to him. But God is perfectly Holy, always has been, always will be. Biblical text can be twisted and turned to come to many varied conclusions but there are some things it is perfectly clear about. Homosexually is one of those things.
Times have changed, society has changed, God has not and will not change. Just because society has become more accepting of gay people does not make it right. There are many instances in the bible where a society comes to God and have lived in harmony with God but it goes in cycles and society always gets too comfortable and begins to turn and move away from God's will. I believe we are in one of those times and there will be a reckoning. But I digress..
God is very clear about the gay lifestyle and I can not be accepting of that lifestyle purely based on what society thinks. I also think it goes against the natural order of life.
kittymosh36

Pro

First of all, "unnatural" and "wrong" are not synonyms; they are two different words with different meanings. Over 1000 species have been confirmed in engaging in same-sex sexual intercourse. The bible was written to keep people safe and the human race thriving in that period. For example, the bible banned certain foods because people didn't know how to cook them correctly back then and they caused illness among the people. The mortality rate was so high that people would have many children and often they wouldn't all even survive. So having heterosexuals be together made more sense in saving the human race from dying out. However, I said it before and I'll say it again, times are changing. In fact, in some parts of the world there is the issue of over population. In addition, Pope Francis has even made it possible for homosexuals to be in civil unions, which appears to me as the first step to legalizing gay marriage as the Church grows more modern.
Tinman46

Con

A few cases of animals having gay intercourse is not a strong argument. If anything the very few times it's been documented only strengthens the argument it is not natural. Far more animals have natural male female intercourse. There is no proof of a gay gene or that people are born that way. Gay propaganda has tried to prove it but it's never happened.
You can say that the times are changing as many times as you please but that doesn't make gay lifestyle right. We live in a different time and societies views have changed but God's will has not necessarily changed with it. In fact I would go so far as to say it hasn't.
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
You realize I never use that argument until it is brought up by the opposing side. When I do state that fact, I am showing that the nature arguments carries no weight!!!!

Notice I am not taking anything from nature to justify humans actions which is exactly what I said. Ii am saying just because animals do something does not mean humans should.

Read comments thoroughly first before throwing out other comments!
Posted by AgainstFor 2 years ago
AgainstFor
"The homosexuality and nature argument makes no sense to take one thing that occurs in nature and use that as part of justification to humans."
Aren't you the person who told me that saying animals being Gay also meant we should eat our own poop?
You said- "makes no sense to take one thing that occurs in nature and use that as part of justification to humans." Yet you kind of did that on my debate with EliasL. Way to be a hypocrite!
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
The homosexuality and nature argument makes no sense to take one thing that occurs in nature and use that as part of justification to humans.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Emilirose. We evangelicals takes Gods word in its entirety. It is the full history of the one God said he would send to put his heel on satan's head in the garden of Eden.

kitty...... I do not eat bottom feeders any more that I eat pork.Those are good dietary laws to follow.But I would not make a religion out of them.God wishes above ALL things that we prosper and be in health, even as our souls prosper. He gives us these things to aid in our quest for good health. Now you can eat anything you want.You can eat all the bottom feeders you want. But your body will suffer. God is against death and sickness.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Catholicism is still upset that we broke free from their religious doctrines that makes zombies of their members. Ever sit in a ,mass and listen to the robots mimicing whatever the priests say.
Posted by FantumHeist 2 years ago
FantumHeist
Catholic the only religion that is not jaded and twisted to the believers benefit
Posted by debate_power 2 years ago
debate_power
Capitalism is more important of an issue than is gay marriage... honestly, I'm not against gay marriage at all. I'm probably going to debate someone on capitalism- I was sent a debate challenge recently. I need a while to gather my argument.
Posted by kittymosh36 2 years ago
kittymosh36
@Emilrose Oh really? The bible states that we should ban shrimp. It also says that women should not ever preach God's word. Also, homosexuals should be stoned, as well as children who misbehave. The bible was not meant to be taken literally. It was written in a much different time. You have to consider that things are different now.
Posted by Tinman46 2 years ago
Tinman46
@warren42....the very low amount of times it's been seen with animals only strengthens the argument it is not natural. The norm. is male and female. A few, very few, instances of gay animals is a weak argument for pro gay.
Posted by warren42 2 years ago
warren42
If it "goes against the natural order of life" then why is homosexuality seen in animals?
Vote Placed by TK57 2 years ago
TK57
kittymosh36Tinman46Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro messed up when they said "being gay is not a choice" where they imply that you are born gay when logically you can't be born gay. Con wins
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
kittymosh36Tinman46Tied
Reasons for voting decision: In round one, con had a few grammatical errors. As for the arguments, neither side argued adequately until the last round, when pro states that it is completely natural to be gay and supports it by saying 1000 species of animals contain homosexual animals. He did not back this up with a source, but luckily for him con failed to even try to attack pro's statement, giving him points for arguments.
Vote Placed by NoMagic 2 years ago
NoMagic
kittymosh36Tinman46Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither side argued very strongly for their points. To short to truly weigh in on the arguments. No decision.