pchilton
LostintheEcho1498

Gay Marriage

LostintheEcho1498

pchilton

Pro

Gays Are People Too
In the past there has been a lot of successful stances against discrimination. People think discriminating against others is gone yet they still discriminate again today towards gays. Gays and straights are all people indeed every person is born with the same rights one of these rights are equality. Everyone should all have their own say in which they marry. The marriages of gays will not have different laws than opposite sex marriages. Everything in history has changed so gay marriage should be another thing that is changing. Gay marriage should be legal in every state.
Everyone should all have their own say in which they marry. Weather a person is gay or straight "the people should decide this issue, not the courts" (Babione) because nobody can tell someone whom they can love and cannot love. But the people are not in charge of the government, which is making the gay marriage laws. "Bill Clinton signed the-- "Defense of Marriage act" [It] is a federal law passed... [And states the] definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman" (Gacek). The Defense of Marriage Act told the states that they can turn down any gay marriages. However the 14 Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says states are not allowed to deny "any person"s life liberty or property" (Hudson). To conclude the Act should not exist since the 14 Amendment came first and it says that the states cannot take away this right of marriage to all people.
Gay marriages will not be any different than opposite sex marriages. Every marriage is given the same laws including "rights under family laws such as annulment, divorce, child custody, child support, alimony, domestic violence, adoption, and poverty division" (Gale 203). Each marriage in the country follow the same laws gays will be included in them too. Also they will have the same punishments as straight people for not following the laws. These laws are the same for every marriage all across the country.
Everything at some point in time will change; gay marriage should be one thing to come up for a change. Civil rights, voting rights, and women"s rights have all changed in our history, it is time for gay rights to have a turn. U.S. Circuit Judge Jeffrey S. Sutton agreed "gay and straight alike, [should] become the heroes of their own stories by meeting each other... as fellow citizens seeking to resolve a new social issue" (Sutton). The gay couples now should become the heroes for the couples that are yet to come it is time to change the laws. Conversely the bible will never change what it says about gay marriages. It describes a marriage as "a godly union between male and female." Where God believes that his duties can "only be fulfilled through a heterosexual marriage" (What). The focus God has is believed to not be reached by a gay couple. But because people sin it does not mean that they will go to hell, "A gay or homosexual person can accept Christ... Jesus' offer of salvation is open to everyone." "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness"

Chilton 3
(Can). Anyone can go to heaven the gates are open. God will not turn you down because just like children are taught at the youngest ages in Sunday school he loves everyone.
Same-sex marriage should be accepted in every state. Everything in history changes gay marriage should come up. Gay marriages have the same laws as opposite sex marriages. Everyone should all say whom they want to marry. A wedding day is the best day of most people"s lives "Marriage is an important moment in life when we make a public promise of love and dedication to the person we are building a life with" (Wolfson). Gay couples should not miss out on this important time of their lives because everyone deserves a wedding and some love weather they are gay or straight.

Chilton 4
Work Cited
Barnes, Robert. "Gay Marriage Bans Upheld by Appeals Panel." Washington Post. 07 Nov. 2014: A.1. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 10 Nov. 2014.
"Can a Gay or Lesbian Person Go to Heaven?" ETERNAL SALVATION. Web. 20 Nov. 2014.
Gacek, Christopher. "Family Research Council." Family Research Council. Web. 24 Nov. 2014
Hudson, David L. Jr. The Fourteenth Amendment: Equal Protection Under the Law. Berkeley Heights, N.J.: Enslow Publishers, 2002
Savage, David G. "Gay Marriage Gets Huge Boost from High Court." Los Angeles Times. 07 Oct. 2014: A.1. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 10 Nov. 2014.
Smith, Stephen. "100 Bible Verses about Gods Forgiveness." What Does the Bible Say About Gods Forgiveness? Crossway Bibles, 17 Nov. 2014. Web. 20 Nov. 2014.
"What Does the Bible Say about Same Sex Marriage?" Same Sex Marriages, What Does the Bible Say? " ChristianAnswers.Net. Web. 18 Nov. 2014.

Wolfson, Evan. "Without Nationwide Gay Marriage, U.S. Government Discriminates." US News. U.S.News & World Report, Web. 20 Nov. 2014.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

As is customary I will accept the challenge this round. I do not know what the structure is and so will simply rebut until one is given.

1. "In the past there has been a lot of successful stances against discrimination. People think discriminating against others is gone yet they still discriminate again today towards gays. Gays and straights are all people indeed every person is born with the same rights one of these rights are equality. Everyone should all have their own say in which they marry. The marriages of gays will not have different laws than opposite sex marriages. Everything in history has changed so gay marriage should be another thing that is changing. Gay marriage should be legal in every state."

I have three things here to say. First, I am a grammar Nazis and ask that you spell check or refrain from run on sentences. Sorry but it just drives me nuts. Now to the real stuff:

a. You say there has been "a lot of successful stances against discrimination" as well as "everyone should all have their own say in which they marry." So far I can agree moderately by changing "which" into "who". This half is all acceptable.

b. "The marriages of gays will not have different laws than opposite sex marriages. Everything in history has changed so gay marriage should be another thing that is changing. Gay marriage should be legal in every state." This is where we reach a problem First, Merriam-Webster dictionary defines marriage as, " the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage."(http://www.merriam-webster.com...). I believe this an acceptable definition and so assume you can agree. Using this definition, you are pursuing the creation of a union between gays and call it, by legal document, a marriage. I have two things to say for this. First, marriage has always been the union of man and women. You point out that, "things are changing". My question is, is this for the better? We live in an obscene and outright unrighteous society. In Europe, porn posters are plainly posted on billboards. Our celebrities are people who sing about sex outside of marriage, drugs, disobeying rules, and committing sinful behavior. Getting back to the topic, society is more accepting of sinful behavior as of recent because of the digression of it. This leads to my second point. According to many people's morals and beliefs, including mine, gay marriage is, by definition, a sin. If it is a sin, why are we suppose to be for legalizing it? We are to support, to the point of legalizing, bad decisions and are condemned when told that we are wrong and "discriminating". I have a confession. I am a Mormon. I believe in Christ, His teachings, and all that is within the Bible and Book of Mormon. As a Mormon, I believe that gay marriage is sinful. The difference between "discrimination" and "nonacceptance" is that discrimination is when we "practice (the) unfair treating (of) a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people". (http://www.merriam-webster.com...) This says when we unfairly treat people differently we are committing discrimination. So what happens when we are treating them fairly by treating them differently? Gay marriage is different and not for the better. As a Mormon we accept the people for who they are without condemnation or "discrimination". The difference is that this is isolated bad behavior. Gay marriage is when people are openly declaring their gayness and "right" to it. No one has any right to commit bad behavior. If we can legalize gay marriage, an openly opposite doctrine to religions, why aren't we legalizing murder or thievery? The whole base of our laws is from the 10 commandments. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt honor thy Father and Mother etc. All of these are excellent values and we are starting to throw them away.

2. "Everyone should all have their own say in which they marry. Weather a person is gay or straight "the people should decide this issue, not the courts" (Babione) because nobody can tell someone whom they can love and cannot love. But the people are not in charge of the government, which is making the gay marriage laws."

a. I can agree with this from a governmental standpoint. The problem is, when states have majorities say that they do not agree with it or people in states that do agree and those who disagree are ostracized.

I finish here because of lack of time. Good luck to my opponent!
pchilton

Pro

pchilton forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

It seems my opponent has given up. I hope he returns but regardless carry forward all previous argument.
pchilton

Pro

pchilton forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

LostintheEcho1498 forfeited this round.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 1 year ago
LostintheEcho1498
Sounds good to me. I'll set it up and challenge you. Give me about 5 min.
Posted by Edwar3je 1 year ago
Edwar3je
Sorry about your opponent forfeiting LostintheEcho. If it makes you feel any better I could debate you on same- sex marriage (for some reason my opponents aren't posting anything even during the acceptance rounds) and I promise that I won't forfeit any of the rounds.
Posted by Zack95 1 year ago
Zack95
Interesting...
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 1 year ago
LostintheEcho1498
More like pure craziness. Can't really categorize it..
Posted by Zack95 1 year ago
Zack95
I cannot understand if your statement is Sarcasm, agreement, or pure nonsense. consider revising.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 1 year ago
LostintheEcho1498
"i would accept but i dont feel like writing papers anytime soon. Chow."
lol. I think I may take this anyway. I can live with writing essays.
Posted by Zack95 1 year ago
Zack95
i would accept but i dont feel like writing papers anytime soon. Chow.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
pchiltonLostintheEcho1498Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff more, so conduct to Con. Pro said " which" when he/she should have said "who", so s and g to Con. Pros argument that "everything changes" was not compelling, and was easily refuted by Con ,so arguments to Con. Pro had more sources, but they were not persuasive. They basically only reporting developments on the issue So sources are tied