Zealotical
studentathletechristian8

Gay Marriage

studentathletechristian8

Zealotical

Pro

I think that if straight people can get married, then gay people should be able to get married as well. America is about equal rights. If gays want to be as miserable as MOST straight married people are, I say we let them! Gay people are born gay. It isn't a choice. They can't help that they are attracted to the same sex.
studentathletechristian8

Con

I think that if straight people can get married, then gay people should be able to get married as well. America is about equal rights."

What are you talking about? Homosexuals and heterosexuals both have the same rights to marriage. Listen to this: any heterosexual is able to marry a person of the opposite sex. A homosexual is also able to marry a person of the opposite sex. A heterosexual is unable to marry a person of the same sex, just like a homosexual is unable to marry a person of same sex. Both heterosexuals and homosexuals henceforth have the right to marry a person of the opposite sex, but both heterosexuals and homosexuals are unable to marry a person of the same sex. Heterosexuals CHOOSE to marry people of opposite sex. However, homosexuals do not CHOOSE to marry people of the opposite sex, so the right is not being taken away from them, they are taking themselves away from the right.

"If gays want to be as miserable MOST straight people are, I say we let them!"

First off, I would just like to say that most straight married people are content with each other and relatively happy in life. Assuming most straight people are miserable is a generalization and is irrelevant.

"Gay people are born gay. it isn't a choice."

You did not give any scientific explanation or reasoning behind this. It has not been fully proven whether homosexuality is innate or "picked up" during life. As of now, scientists have not been able to find a gene that makes people homosexual. Your burden of proof is to prove that gay people really are born gay.

"They can't help that they are attracted to the same sex."

Yes, they definitely can. Haven't you heard of ex-homosexuals who had counseling and became straight? But this is irrelevant to gay marriage. I am for gay rights, but not gay marriage, which is the debate topic. This quote you said does not give a reason why it would be beneficial for gays to marry. It does not even explain why gays should get married.

In conclusion, I would just like to say that I am against gay marriage. I have refuted my opponent's arguments and await on the response.
Zealotical

Pro

"What are you talking about? Homosexuals and heterosexuals both have the same rights to marriage. Listen to this: any heterosexual is able to marry a person of the opposite sex. A homosexual is also able to marry a person of the opposite sex. A heterosexual is unable to marry a person of the same sex, just like a homosexual is unable to marry a person of same sex. Both heterosexuals and homosexuals henceforth have the right to marry a person of the opposite sex, but both heterosexuals and homosexuals are unable to marry a person of the same sex. Heterosexuals CHOOSE to marry people of opposite sex. However, homosexuals do not CHOOSE to marry people of the opposite sex, so the right is not being taken away from them, they are taking themselves away from the right."

I hear about straight people getting divorce all the time. Straight people can have like 3, 4, or more marriages in their lifetime and gay people can't even have one? Love is love, it shouldn't have anything to do with gender. I believe that marriage should be about love and commitment that you have for the other person regardless of gender.

"First off, I would just like to say that most straight married people are content with each other and relatively happy in life. Assuming most straight people are miserable is a generalization and is irrelevant."

Oh really, is that why there are so many straight couples getting divorces recently? Is that why they argue almost all the time?

"You did not give any scientific explanation or reasoning behind this. It has not been fully proven whether homosexuality is innate or "picked up" during life. As of now, scientists have not been able to find a gene that makes people homosexual. Your burden of proof is to prove that gay people really are born gay"

It is true that it hasn't been proving if people are born gay but it also hasn't been proving that its a choice. So yeah, I agree with you on that part.

"Yes, they definitely can. Haven't you heard of ex-homosexuals who had counseling and became straight? But this is irrelevant to gay marriage. I am for gay rights, but not gay marriage, which is the debate topic. This quote you said does not give a reason why it would be beneficial for gays to marry. It does not even explain why gays should get married."

Yes, I've heard of ex-homosexuals but I've also heard of ex-heterosexuals. I've heard of gay people turning straight and I've heard of straight people turning gay. This is because they didn't know who they were and then later they find out who they really are.

I will admit that you are a very worthy opponent and I await for your next response.
studentathletechristian8

Con

Thank you for the quick response.

"Love is love, it shouldn't have anything to do with gender. I believe that marriage should be about love and commitment that you have for the other person regardless of gender."

You are quoting that marriage should be based only on love and commitment. If this was so, then what would stop polygamy and zoophilia? Only love and commitment as a requirement for marriage would allow groups of people to marry each other, for all they have to do is love one another and be committed. This could also allow a dog and a man to be married, just as long as they both love each other and are committed to one another. Marriage that has its only requirement being love and commitment leads to the downfall of the institution of marriage and allows things like polygamy and zoophilia.

"Oh really, is that why there are so many straight couples getting divorces recently? Is that why they argue all the time?"

This quote refers to what I stated about the happiness in straight marriages. This does not correlate to the topic on hand too well, but I will refute the argument. The opponent does not signify how many straight couples are recently getting divorced. There may be many straight couples getting divorces, but there are also many straight couples who are happy and fulfilled in marriage. And saying they argue all the time is a complete assumption, my mom and dad hardly argue.

"It is true that it hasn't been proving if people are born gay but it also hasn't been proving that its a choice. So yeah, I agree with you on that part."

My opponent agrees with me that homosexuality is not necessarily innate. When my opponent opened, the first round, he said "gay people are born gay." I stated that it is not scientifically proven, so my opponent is now simply agreeing with me.

The opponent then states that there have been ex-homosexuals and ex-heterosexuals. This again does not correlate with the topic on hand and has nothing to do with gay marriage in itself.

I appreciate my opponent for opening this argument and the readers for reading. I hope you vote on the person who presented the better debate. Thank you
Posted by rangersfootballclub 7 years ago
rangersfootballclub
" i dont wanto be gay anymore "
" your choosing not to be gay ? "
" what do you mean choosing not to be gay , i just feel that way "
" oh unlike guys girls can choose to be gay or not "

family guy lol ....
Posted by Mr_smith 7 years ago
Mr_smith
Marriage laws may apply equally to all people, but the law is clearly slanted in favor of certain parties. This violates the equal protection clause of the fourteenth amendment, as it creates discrimination. It also violates privacy rights, which have existed since Griswold v. Connecticut. Preventing gays from marrying does not serve any compelling government interest, therefore, it should not be allowed (the strict scrutiny standard).
Vote Placed by Zealotical 7 years ago
Zealotical
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by dragonfire1414 7 years ago
dragonfire1414
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by benjaminfranklin 7 years ago
benjaminfranklin
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by grayron 7 years ago
grayron
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by Deathgodxiii 7 years ago
Deathgodxiii
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by Molokoplus 7 years ago
Molokoplus
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by Interrobang 7 years ago
Interrobang
Zealoticalstudentathletechristian8Tied