ninernation
Teege

Gay Marriage

Teege

ninernation

Pro

Gay Marriage is now legal, Yay! I am for gay marriage, if two people from the same-sex are in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together like any other couple, it should not be a problem. Well its the law now. Having said that, I don't think I will be ok if my children grow up and want to marry the same sex. It probably makes me sound like I have double standards but what would you guys do? Lets debate!
Teege

Con

Why would you not want to have your children marry someone of the same sex?
ninernation

Pro

ninernation forfeited this round.
Teege

Con

Pro has forfeited this round, but I will go ahead and present my argument.

First let me start off by saying I believe all adults, with a sound mind, are sentient and autonomous. I believe adults should be able to do whatever they please as long as it does not infringe on the rights and the well being of others. Marriage is a contract between 2 consenting people. If a party is not being forced or coerced into entering a marriage contract, then it should stand as a legal binding contract.

I disagree with gay marriage, not in concept, but in how it presented and has thus far been determined. Our country is a republic. Our rights and laws come from the Constitution and other federal statutes. The Supreme Court does not have the power to create laws. Their only duties are to settle disputes and determine if a law, right, or statute is Constitutional [1]. The problem with the current Court's decision is that it does not make gay marriage a right. That can only be done by Congress [2] [3just for fun], by making an amendment to the Constitution, or by statute. As it stands, if someone can present a case to the Supreme Court that gay marriage is unconstitutional, then the Supreme Court would reverse its decision. It has happened in the past [4]. One case was in 1918, which involved child-labor laws. After agreeing with the labor laws, they reversed their decision, because a labor law case was presented in a different way. It took another 20 years before they changed their minds and labeled the labor laws constitutional. This is proof that The Supreme Court can and has taken rights away from people, after granting rights to them.

If the gay community, and their supporters, actually want their rights to marry secured, then it on Congress to make that determination. However, I don't think we'll see that in the near future. With the country's opinion of gay marriage being split 50/50, our cowardly Congressmen will be too afraid to lose votes to support such a bill.

This statement does not support either side of this debate. People that are for gay marriage act as if the gay community will be more widely accepted, and treated as equals, now that the Supreme Court has made their decision. This is far from the truth, and Pro proves my point in the opening round. Pro says that gay marriage should be allowed, but would not be ok with her children grow up and want to enter into a same sex marriage. Until this mind set is changed, gay rights movements still have much ground to be gained.

[1]https://www.law.cornell.edu... [2] https://www.law.cornell.edu...
[3] https://www.youtube.com... [4] http://www.cnn.com...
ninernation

Pro

ninernation forfeited this round.
Teege

Con

Since Pro has not neither presented an argument, not rebutted my arguments I will briefly restate my side.

I disagree with gay marriage, as defined by the Supreme Court; it is on unstable ground...it has no solid foundation.
This means that the rights can be taken away, just as quickly as they were given.

I disagree with gay marriage as it stands, because the means it was established is unconstitutionally. The Supreme Court does not have the right, nor the power, to create laws within the United States. An unconstitutional law, is not law. If the LGBT community wants rights to marry, and they want that right to be secure, then it needs to be done through the proper procedures and processes.
Posted by noticeoferror 1 year ago
noticeoferror
I feel that it is Unconstitutional to even pass the gay marriage act. Now, with that being said, i am not gonna express my views concerning homosexuality, but the act of declaring the gay marriage act constitutional. No where, in any way, shape, or form does the constitution mention marriage, homo or heterosexual. So for the supreme court to declare it Unconstitutional or Constitutional is beyond my recognition. There is a fine line of what people think is right and Constitutional.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
I would debate you, but there is no BoP stated, and there is no resolution...

You're cool with gay marriage being recognized federally, but the idea of your children marrying someone of the same sex is unsettling.

That's just your preference, and honestly I can't debate with that unless you make some claim.

Maybe if you made the resolution:
"Finding Gay Marriage For Your Kids Unsettling Is Reasonable"
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
ninernationTeegeTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
ninernationTeegeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Jeong_Donghyun 1 year ago
Jeong_Donghyun
ninernationTeegeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Since Pro forfeited both rounds, Con has better conduct. Con clearly had more convincing arguments, since Pro didn't make any. Con also provided more sources than Pro.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
ninernationTeegeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited several times. This is bad conduct.