NoobyGurl
Gdougie

Gay Marriage

Gdougie

NoobyGurl

Pro

I do not know why gay marriage isn't already legal everywhere, but never mind that. Everyone should have the right to marry who ever they want, wherever they want, excluding things like incest.
Gdougie

Con

Two issue with gay marriage. The first is it conflicts with Christianity. The second is it conflicts with the U.S. Constitution.

The Bible condemns same sex marriage and is classified as a sin here:

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."
"1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NKJV) (A)

Obviously if you are not a Christian, this does not apply. However, the United States was based on Christian values. "We are endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable right." That is from the Declaration of Independence. Creator is capitalized because it implies the Christian God. Our founders intentionally capitalized the "C". So, if we truly are a Christian nation, we should allow the Bible to guide our decisions as a country.

The second conflict is with the U.S. Constitution.

The 10th amendment contains these clauses:

"It expresses the principle of federalism, which strictly supports the entire plan of the original Constitution for the United States of America, by stating that the federal government possesses only those powers delegated to it by the United States Constitution. All remaining powers are reserved for the states or the people."(B)

Therefore, because same sex marriage is not included in the U.S. Constitution, it is delegated to the states to decide.

However, this decision was made incorrectly by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2015 that same sex marriage is legal in every state. Now that is an entire new debate.

(A)http://www.christiananswers.net...
(B)https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
NoobyGurl

Pro

Ok, first off do not bring religion into this. I am as well a Christian and the bible says if you accept Jesus into your heart he will forgive you for your sins. Jesus died so sins such as this can be forgiven.
Secondly the topic is gay marriage. I am supposed to be arguing why is should be legal and you should be arguing why it should not be, not why it doesn't have to be legal.
Also when I said "I don't know why it legal everywhere" I meant the whole world, because gay marriage has already been made legal in all 50 states by the supreme court.

http://www.npr.org...
Gdougie

Con

This is a religious issue so I will continue that discussion first.

Jesus also said:

"And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning "made them male and female,""
"Matthew 19:4 (NKJV)

"But from the beginning of the creation, God "made them male and female.""
"Mark 10:6 (NKJV)(A)

Now it is true that Jesus will forgive our sins if we accept him, but on the issue of homosexuality that is false. Here is why. If you commit and sin and ask for forgiveness, the Lord will forgive you. However, homosexuality is different because you are constantly living in sin. How can you be forgiven without confessing? Above you said, "if you accept Jesus into your heart he will forgive you for your sins. Jesus died so sins such as this can be forgiven." You classify homosexuality as a sin here. If you are living in constant sin I believe you cannot be forgiven. It's not my job to condemn you though, your heart and what you believe is between you and the Lord.

Next, your argument was not clear to me, sorry about that.

Of course it can't be made legal everywhere. Each nation has different laws and governments. If we allow same sex marriage, this would not fulfill God's purpose/plan to fill and multiply the people of His earth. Lots of religions do not support same sex marriage, that is why the world will not and should not legalize same sex marriage.

I encourage you to check out the link below for a look at what the Bible says about marriage.

(A)http://www.christiananswers.net...
NoobyGurl

Pro

This is not a religious issue. there are many religions and you can't base everything off of Christianity. It is one of many religions. It may be a very widely practiced religion, but it't not the only one.
I know it can't be legal everywhere. I am just saying I think it should be, it would be irrational to think it could be legal everywhere.
It should not be anyone's right to decide who should be allowed to marry. Think about it this way. You find an amazing man/woman and they are all you would hope you would find in a person, you couldn't picture your life without them, then people ridicule you and make fun of you and beat you for loving that person. This is what many gay/lesbian people go through.
Gdougie

Con

You cannot base everything on Christianity? You are saying you're a Christian yet we should base things on other religions we as Christians do not agree with? I understand there are many religions but I only have one God and one faith.

I'm confused on you're argument because it is more of an opinion.

"I know it can't be legal everywhere. I am just saying I think it should be, it would be irrational to think it could be legal everywhere."

What am I arguing against? You just proved my point by saying "it can't be legal everywhere." You're right, it cannot be legal everywhere!

I understand your argument when you say these gay/lesbian folks love somebody and cannot live without them. But in a world that God created, and with a Bible that condemns the act of homosexuality, I among lots of other people cannot agree with same sex marriage. I will not discriminate, Jesus says to love everyone, but I cannot agree with same sex marriage.

I appreciate my opponent debating this issue with religion involved. This was a tough debate, and I respect all that she has said.

I hope my message was clear. Thank you!
Posted by whiteflame 9 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: TheShaun// Mod action: Removed<

5 points to Pro (Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Every point that Pro made was technically correct. Con seemed to have difficulty understanding Pro's intended argument. Con used irrelevant reasoning to counter some of Pro's points. Overall, Pro is correct that there is no lawful reason for gay marriage to be illegal in modern times.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain sources. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained as the voter fails to assess specific points made by both sides in the debate.
************************************************************************
Posted by Gdougie 9 months ago
Gdougie
That should have been in your opening response then. No rules were set until after I made my response. And then after you said not to bring religion into it you answered my argument; therefore, I had to counter.
Posted by NoobyGurl 9 months ago
NoobyGurl
I have said multiple times NOT to bring religion into this.
Vote Placed by RainbowDash52 9 months ago
RainbowDash52
NoobyGurlGdougieTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro mostly just asserted that people should be able marry whoever they want, but didn't really substantiate that argument. Con made an argument that the constitution states gay marriage is a states issue, therefor should not be legal in the entire US but only certain states. Since Pro explained that the debate was over world wide legalization, and Con showed that it should be illegal in some states, and Pro did not rebuttal the argument, Con wins.