LiberalLuke
PuddinPop

Gay Marriage

LiberalLuke

LiberalLuke

Pro

I will be arguing on the "Pro" side of this issue. I believe that denying homosexuals this basic right is immoral and unacceptable in a country that claims to provide "liberty and justice for all". Homosexuals are human beings and deserve to be recognized as such. I will wait for my opponent to deliver his opening statement before I begin.
PuddinPop

Con

Thank you for creating this debate. I will start off by saying that of course, marriage is the sacred bond of a man and a woman, not a man and man or woman and woman. If gay marriage is legalized, there will be many riots. Anyway, it wasn't thought in the time that the Consitution and Declaration of Independence were written, because back then, there were barely, if not any homosexuals. Our Founding Fathers never thought of this as an issue when these great documents were written.
LiberalLuke

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate. I appreciate it.

1) You start by stating that "marriage is the sacred bond of a man and a woman, not a man and man or woman and woman." Tell me why two human beings who love each other can't have the same privileges, rights, and responsibilities because of their gender. This blatant discrimination is unacceptable. Also when you say that marriage is a sacred institution, divorce rates are at an all time high, infidelity in marriage is an epidemic, and when someone can compete on a television reality show to "Marry a Millionaire", the argument about saving a sacred institution seems kind of pointless.

2) You stated that "If gay marriage is legalized, there will be many riots." I do not understand and if you could elaborate, please do. This is a foolish assumption and there isn't any evidence that such events will manifest.

3) You also state that "it wasn't thought in the time that the Consitution and Declaration of Independence were written, because back then, there were barely, if not any homosexuals. Our Founding Fathers never thought of this as an issue when these great documents were written." 1st of all, these are very important documents, but there is no denying that they were written over 200 years ago. Many things aren't defined in the Constitution.

2nd of all, you coveniently forgot to mention when speaking of the Constitution that there is a clause in the Constitution named the "Elastic Clause" that grants Congress the power "To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof." Many issues aren't clearly defined, and because of the vagueness of the Constitution, this clause was included.

I look forward to your reply.
PuddinPop

Con

1) I see where you are coming from, but just because Tiger Woods and a couple thousand other people's marriages don't work out, does not make it any less sacred then it already is. Yes divorce rates are high, and kids usually have single parents. But the single parent ratio will only increase if gay marriage is legalized.

2) What I mean is, the country itself will change. First its homosexuals, then its polygamists asking for polygamy to be legal, and other alternatives to one-man or one-woman unions will ask for the same thing. This is because the argument presented by the polygamists may be, "If two men can marry, why can't 3 men and 2 women marry?" Also, if gay marriage is legalized, then every public school in the U.S. will have to teach students that this one-man and one-woman relationships are equivalent to traditional marriage, and stories written for elementary school children or even kindergarten students will have to give equal space to gays and lesbians. Ever heard of Affirmative Action? Well this can happen even in gay marriage. How? If a married woman and man want to adopt the same child that a gay married couple want to adopt, who do you think is going to get the child? Another downside, Foster-care parents will have to go through "sensitivity training classes" to get rid of their bias feelings that traditional marriage is okay, and assure that homosexuality is fine in teens and children.

3) Ah, the Elastic Clause. Look, the country has changed since the Constitution was written, and I'm sure if things were still like they were back then, this wouldn't even be an issue. Sadly they are not.

Sources: http://www.nogaymarriage.com...

Looking forward to the next round.
LiberalLuke

Pro

Thank you for your reply.

1) You are still trying to defend something that is used as a prize on a reality show. Marriage is important and should be respected, but don't mask it and present it as the "sacred institution" you are propping it up to be. Also when you state that "the single parent ratio will only increase if gay marriage is legalized." This is simply untrue.

EdgeBoston.com reports that "UK Data Shows: Gay Divorce Rate Approaches Zero" . They go on to say that "The UK online GLBT news resource Pink News published an Aug. 7 story citing numbers that show that in a two-year period, from Dec. of 2005 through the end of last year, out of 24,629 civil partnerships that same-sex couples entered into in the UK, fewer than 250 had dissolved." This proves that there is actually more stability in Gay marriages than heterosexual marriages. I am using UK data because gay marriage hasn't been legal for long enough in the US to show any accurate data.

2) You are sounding very alarmist when you say "What it means is, the country itself will change." Because it's so absurd that people have rights! (I'm being sarcastic, of course) The fact is that no, Armageddon will not ensue and the world won't end because Gays have rights (as you and your source claim). All that will happen is that America will be one step closer to equality and fulfilling that Great promise of providing "Liberty and Justice for all." Also when talking about the situation in public schools, just like when children are taught that Blacks are equal to Whites, they will be taught that Homosexuals are equal to Heterosexuals. I don't understand why equality alarms you so much. Also with the adoption, Affirmative Action will not even be an issue in the adoption process. The child will go to the family with the more stable household.

3) There is no reason to debate this since, apparently, my opponent has agreed with me and conceded this part of the argument.

I look forward to your reply.
PuddinPop

Con

PuddinPop forfeited this round.
LiberalLuke

Pro

My opponent has failed to refute my arguments. I also forgot to mention my sources for the previous round

Sources: http://www.edgeboston.com...
PuddinPop

Con

PuddinPop forfeited this round.
LiberalLuke

Pro

As you can see, my opponent has forfeited the previous 2 rounds as a result of not being able to refute my arguments. Please vote accordingly
PuddinPop

Con

PuddinPop forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by LiberalLuke 6 years ago
LiberalLuke
LiberalLukePuddinPopTied
Vote Placed by Lexicaholic 6 years ago
Lexicaholic
LiberalLukePuddinPopTied