dan182
dsjpk5

Gay Marriage?

dsjpk5
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

dan182

Pro

The religious side of Gay Marriage
Lev. 18:22. ‘You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.'
First of all, this does not cover female and female contact, just male and male. So sureley female and female must be okay, right? Secondly, there are alot of rules from leveticus that 99% of christians have surely broken. Dont belive me? Well, have you ever cut your hair before? Yes? Well the bible doesn't agree with that. 'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."
Exactly.

The economic side of gay marrige.
A report published in April 2011 proved that 3.8% of Americans identify as Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual. Thats over 85312838 people. Now, the price of an average wedding. $26,645., now, 85312838 times by $26,645.. Not even a powerfull calculator can work that out. Billions of dollars would flood the country. But you dont want that do you? No, the better of the country can wait because a group of angry christians dont like two men saying their vows.

It will slow youth suicide.
One of the main reasons why teenagers are commit suicide are due to the child being bullied at their school as a result of his/her sexual orientation. The same acceptance that will come about due to legalizing gay marriage will show teens that homosexuality is accepted and respected in society. We need to explain to younger generations that being different is not a social disability, so that they will never feel the need to take their own lives because they are gay.

No effect on the heterosexual community
Gay Marriage will have no impact whatsoever on heterosexual communities, just as racial integration in the 60's had no negative impact on white communities. This is the same concept with legalization of gay marriage, it will grant the LGBT community a right that has been immorally denied to them.

It will decrease divorce rate
More than 50% of married couples in America get divorced. Studies show that the US has one of the highest divorce rates compared to other countries. Allowing gays the opportunity to get married will increase marriage rates because less couples will get divorced due to incompatibility or infertility. Legalizing gay marriage will decrease divorce rate because it cannot get any worse than it is right now.

Increase adoption rate
Most adoption agencies discriminate against gay couples and make it incredibly difficult for them to adopt children. Many agencies will only release children to "married" couples, therefore rejecting stable, loving, homosexual parents. By legalizing gay marriage in ALL states, adoption agencies will be forced to grant the same respect and right to homosexual couples. Gay marriage will increase the chances for thousands of foster children to gain loving parents and families.
dsjpk5

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for creating this debate.

PLAGIARISM

My opponent has plagiarized his first round argument from the following website:

https://infogr.am...

I ask the voters to consider this when voting on this debate.
dan182

Pro

I never claimed it as my own. And there are no rules of copy and pasting.
dsjpk5

Con

Actually, you did present it as your own by not putting quotation marks where needed, and by not sourcing your quote. Also, plagiarism is considered a violation of conduct on this website.
dan182

Pro

It still doesn't ruin my point. Please tell me your point against gay marraige.
dsjpk5

Con

Well, my opponent plagiarized his first round argument, and then didn't make any further arguments. So as Con, I am left with nothing to refute. I can't be expected to have to respond to someone else's arguments. I'm supposed to be debating my opponent, not the author of some blog. After all, this is debate.org, not copy and paste.org.

With this in mind, since I have been given nothing to refute, I guess I will have to only present a negative case:

NEGATIVE CASE:

I. Gay marriage should not exist because of the negative effects placed on any children that may become a part of such a family.

How so?

A. Children do better if they have both a mother and father.

1. Children and fathers

Girls who grow up without a father figure have a higher rate of teen pregnancy. [1]

2. Children and mothers

Mothers do a better job providing emotional security to children than fathers typically do. [2]

1. http://www.frc.org...

2. Ibid
Posted by aelfraed 1 month ago
aelfraed
Sex is a choice between and among individuals. Marriage is a social act involving the legal mechanism of city hall and other societal institutions. Seeking a license and the approbation of society, and all the benefits that brings, should require the consensus (a vote) of its citizens.
If one wants benefits for a "significant other" it should be written into law as such, rather than to pervert the meaning of marriage by equating it with a mere license to fornicate.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 month ago
dsjpk5
I wish my opponent the best in all his future debates.
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
Plagiarism merits a full 7-point loss.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 month ago
dsjpk5
Whew! *wipes sweat off of forehead*
Posted by dan182 1 month ago
dan182
Dont worry dsjpk5, im not running away.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 month ago
dsjpk5
Don't run away, Dan!
Posted by FiliusExNihil 1 month ago
FiliusExNihil
Thank you, missmedic. You seem like a very honorable and decent person who values and respects others, and would defend them from persecution. We need more people like you to advance humanity and peace. :)
Posted by missmedic 1 month ago
missmedic
I was not making a statement about Christians in general as most don't even read the bible let alone follow it. I was making a statement about "homophobic Christians", and they do use the bible to justify their hatred.
abomination;
noun: abomination; plural noun: abominations
1. a thing that causes disgust or hatred.
2. a feeling of hatred.

http://www.livescience.com...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
Posted by FiliusExNihil 1 month ago
FiliusExNihil
I agree with Dan182 that gay marriage should be legalized in the liberal democracy of the U.S. as it protects the personal rights of the citizens. The state should not be allowed to infringe based on religious principles.

I disagree with missmedic;
"Using the bible to justify your hatred is a common practices of homophobic Christians."

Depending on context, It seems to misrepresent most Christians as homophobic or hateful, which simply isn't true. It could be argued that the bible 'promotes rape culture' but that would be unnecessarily rude, uncalled for, and offend a large number of good, rational people who mean no harm. It would also accomplish nothing, and simply further polarize society and tear people apart.
Posted by missmedic 1 month ago
missmedic
There are over 1600 commandments in the bible and Christian only follow the ones they like. Let no ware in the bible does god say you can follow the commandments you like and neglect the rest. Nor does god say that you can reduce the punishment he has imposed for breaking them.
Using the bible to justify your hatred is a common practices of homophobic Christians.
Gay people just to be loved and accepted, what is wrong with you that you don't want that for them too.
Vote Placed by Theguy1789 1 month ago
Theguy1789
dan182dsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited and plagurized.
Vote Placed by illegalcombat 1 month ago
illegalcombat
dan182dsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: If your copying your arguments from some where else, remember to give some sort of citation otherwise it's assumed it's your own work. Copy others work + no citation = plagiarism. As such Arguments from Pro are disregarded.
Vote Placed by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
dan182dsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro plagiarized his arguments in round 1, admited to it in round 2. Con was the only one with any original thought on the subject. Plagiarism is objectively the worst possible conduct one can do in debates and it merits a full 7-point loss.