youraveragejami
SuperAwesomeMusician

Gay Marriage

youraveragejami has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

youraveragejami

Pro

You stated: "The family is the most basic unit of our society. Gay marriage completely destroys this system. "

Okay, how is it that having two human beings that have the same gender destroy the system of 'family'? Unless you are following some sort of religion or government control, there are no rules written ANYWHERE that state that two women or men cannot become one as a family.

You stated: "There are men and women on this earth for a reason. These two were made to be together and to have children."

Again, where did you find this information? No one is "made" to marry other. If having children is the only reason, then you are missing the whole point of marriage. Marriage is when two human beings love, care, and understand each other. It is not true that all marriages NEED to be lead to having children.

You stated: "Studies have been done to prove that children raised under a man/woman couple grow up happier and healthier than those raised under gay marriage."

The only way that the gay couple actually retrieved a child to care for is from adoption, where a man and or a woman have given up a baby. When a couple actually has the heart and willingness to care for someone else's child, it can do well for that child's future. Also, could you please send some links or citations to where you found those studies from?
SuperAwesomeMusician

Con

I will start by saying that one main reason I am against gay marriage is because, like you said, I am following a religion. That being said, I have plenty of other reasons why I feel gay marriage is wrong, and I would like to focus on those instead of the religious side of it. I would ask that you keep my religious beliefs out of this discussion, or if you insist on bringing them in, do so respectfully. I would like us to treat this discussion as if I don't follow a religion in order to eliminate bias in the voting. Can you do this for me?

In response to your first comment, I would ask you to look throughout history. Marriage has traditionally been a bond between a man and a woman with the aim of having children, educating them, and for the unity and well-being of the spouses. According to TFP Student Action, same-sex marriage "denies the self-evident biological, physiological, and psychological differences between men and women which find their [unity] in marriage. It also denies the specific primary purpose of marriage: the perpetuation of the human race and the raising of children." This is how it destroys the system of family.

Addressing your second comment, you are correct in that marriage is a relationship in which "two human beings love, care, and understand each other." However, as I stated earlier, marriage is a bond between a man and woman in which these characteristics you listed are fulfilled. Bonding two humans of the same gender is not a true "marriage". It is completely different from a true marriage, and thus cannot be called a marriage.

Now to address your third comment. I will happily provide you with the evidence that I found this information from. To begin, homosexual couples raising children deprive the children of having a father or mother (a parent of the opposite gender of the gay "marriage"). Both fathers and mothers in regular family have special responsibilities and unique impacts on their children. As seen in an article by the "Family Research Council", important impacts that fathers have on their children include "reducing antisocial behavior and delinquency in boys and sexual activity in girls." In addition, fathers significantly influence the "biological development of [their] daughter[s], that a strong marriage provides a model for girls of what to look for in a man, and gives them the confidence to resist the sexual entreaties of their boyfriends." Mothers play just as important of a role in the development of their children. Mothers "excel in providing children with emotional security and in reading the physical and emotional cues of infants [...] they also give their daughters unique counsel as they confront [...] physical, emotional, and social challenges[...]".

To conclude, mothers and fathers both play unique roles in raising a family. Raising children in a gay "marriage" does not give them the psychological nourishment that they need.

Here are the links to my sources. Please feel free to look over them, as they cite sources they use as well.

https://www.tfpstudentaction.org...
http://www.frc.org...
Posted by Crazy456Rhino 1 year ago
Crazy456Rhino
@SuperAwesomeMusician Thanks for respecting my opinion too! :D
Posted by SuperAwesomeMusician 1 year ago
SuperAwesomeMusician
I respect your opinion, but still disagree. Thanks for being so respectful of our opinions though. :)
Posted by Crazy456Rhino 1 year ago
Crazy456Rhino
@youraveragejami
@SuperAwesomeMusician

Personally, I think that gay marriage is good. It's unfair that two people can't love each other just because of their gender. Plus, not all marriages have kids. There are multiple married people who have no kids.