coolmikeb
KiwiTortuga

Gay Marriage

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 6/7/2011 Category: Economics

coolmikeb

Con

I am con to gay marriages. I will let my opponent of first in his words. We are both new to this website, so please take to voting of grammar usage light on us....
KiwiTortuga

Pro

Thanks to the opponent for creating this debate, it will be of much experience to us both and a chance to learn from each other's idea. The opponent failed to put forward definitions therefore I will do so.

---- Definitions ----

Gay Marriage - A union between two men or two women, allowing them to have the exact same set of legal rights as those possessed by heterosexual spouses. These include rights such as hospital visitation. A step beyond civil union, gay marriage will at last give LGBT partners the security that every family, whether m/f, m/m, or f/f, deserves.

---- Contentions ----

1. I will briefly give the history of the United States and Gay Marriage. Ever since 1779, Thomas Jefferson passed a law that forced that all male gays be castrated and female gays to be mutilated of their nose. This shows that since the foundation of this country there were laws criminalizing gays. At around 224 years later the Supreme Court put an end to all criminalization of gays. Even though the laws have changed we can still see that all people do not believe that Gays should have the same rights heterosexuals have. During the 1950's a movement started, a National Gay Rights Organization even though at this time it was illegal to support gays people still registered. Ever since then the foundation has never died off and until this date still stands protecting the rights of LGBT men and woman. So I will start off with this, we are all created equal and it states it so in the Declaration Of Independence, "We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal." Of course at It's foundation it truly meant white man but the U.S.A government changed those laws making it for all man and woman, black or white and not mattering about sexual orientation. Therefore if we so call ourselves such a great democratic country in which the voice of every citizen is heard, then why is it that still in some states of the United States Gay marriage is not legal? People state that marriage is the holy act of a man and a women. Most of the time these people believe in Christianity and believe how we are a Christian nation, but I tell this to those people we are not only a Christian nation but a Buddhist nation, Jewish nation as well as an Atheist nation. Many different cultures and differences. Wasn't that what this country was founded on? Freedom, to break away from an oppressive government? I believe that the United States should learn from their experiences with an oppressive government and live to the real expectations of freedom and democracy.

2. You're against Gay marriage, then don't have a Gay marriage. But don't prevent others from marrying who they love. Also I will tell this to my opponent by legalizing Gay marriage we are not depriving anyone from their rights, but yet when we don't legalize Gay marriage we are depriving the LGBT citizen's from their rights. To this date Gay marriage is legal in only a few states such as New York, but it should be legal in all of the 50 states. The United States government and It's patriots talk about how great of a country we are, but yet we deprive LGBT of their rights but yet in Mexico is clearly legal? I believe our political system standards are really messed up.

---- Conclusion ----

I believe that the United States should give the rights that all LGBT citizen's deserve and let them marry. We shouldn't deprive them of their rights because of the morals of other, we are all here to co-exist and we should legalize Gay marriage because since very early years Gays have been castrated even killed because of their sexual orientation. This legalization of Gay marriage will also be a huge step forward towards reaching true democracy. Thank you for you're time.

---- Sources ----

http://civilliberty.about.com...
http://gaylife.about.com...
coolmikeb

Con

thank you for the reply. I say that the benefits of gay marriage is actually making more gays. The making of more gays is hurting the ;US military. /since many just men in the army. The combination of them are causing gays which would be like women being with men more in war. Thus can cause the effect of man to man help. They would forget their mission, and would not give up a sacrifice of a man to get the job done. Gays in the military can cause people to team up and keep each other safe. This can be even worse to the military. To make this even worse, they are now getting married. Don't we also have enough problems on this topic

P.S. Please make the text bigger of what you take from websites
KiwiTortuga

Pro

Thanks to the opponent for It's response.

---- Rebuttal ----

1. Even though I had much troubles understanding what the opponent was trying to get across since he didn't state it properly, I will do my best to understand. To sum it up, he believes that Gays in the Military is something bad and that the making of more Gay is bad as well. First I'd like to as my opponent something, how do you make Gays? It's something that people do not choose, but what there attracted to. Many people have researched wether people are born Gay and the answer is to the full extent that we may never actually know, but I will show a link below where two twins we're born and one ended up Gay and the other straight. How can Gays in the Military be a bad thing? Gay men show just as much strength and will to fight for their country. Also why should a citizen of a country be neglected of protecting it and serving it? Should woman not be allowed to serve in the army because some people may believe there not "fit" to serve well in the Military? Should we not let Gays serve in the Military because, there sexual orientation is different then the majority of others in society? We should all have the same rights, and since the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law that Barrack Obama passed Gays can safely serve in the Military, although now it is being repealed waiting upon Barrack Obama answer. This shows that still in this country not all It's citizens have freedom.

The opponent refused to rebut my cases yet I rebutted his. Therefore my cases still stand, thank you.
Vote Pro.

---- Sources ----

http://www.cs.cmu.edu...'t_ask,_don't_tell

coolmikeb

Con

Well, from what I said as to "making" I meant to say of that allowing gay marriage can withdraw more gays to encounter the military. If you think about it, allowing the marriage of gays will just improve the ineluctable rights of gays and the more people will want to be gays. With the amount of gays improving In our society, we are losing the even amount of even genders in our world. Lately, men have becoming more of gays than men, which can really harm the society of th enew generations of the futer. Who would like it if the world of tommorw was coverd may same gender binding
KiwiTortuga

Pro

This was a sad debate, the opponent never rebutted any of my cases. I will take it that the opponent was uncap-able of rebutting the cases I presented. Still I will rebut his case.

---- Rebuttal ----

1. The opponent states that by legalizing Gay marriage will encourage Gays to join the Military? What does the legalizing of Gay marriage have to do with the Military? I mean will a Gay tell himself that as soon as they legalize marriage he will join the military as a cause of that legalization? The opponent states and I quote "If you think about it, allowing the marriage of gays will just improve the ineluctable rights of gays and the more people will want to be gays." I have stated before people do not choose to become Gay it is something inside of them that makes them like others of their own gender. Also what would be the problem of having more Gays in our society? Also I will start by stating that we do not have an even amount of gender in the world but yet we know that according to human nature there will always be more woman then men. I take it that the opponent states that more men are becoming Gay then women therefore making it that this will harm our reproduction. Obviously the opponent is not aware that not all humans will become Gay, just because they legalize Gay marriage. Also the opponent believes a society where Gays are accepted will be terrible thing, I ask him why? The opponent goes of stating all these idea without sources, just plain opinions. I thank the opponent for responding but I believe he penalized himself by not showing evidence of his cases, nor properly debating his opponent.

---- Conclusion ----

I will conclude with this the opponent talked about his beliefs but never showed any evidence for his cases. Which leads me to conclude that he had no actual knowledge on the topic of Gay marriage. His relevance with Gay marriage was way off, the opponent believed that by legalizing Gay marriage more Gays would join the Military I don't see the connection, but he never showed any evidence as well. Thanks to the audience for you're time.

---- Sources ----

http://www.childwelfare.gov...

http://www.glow.cc...
Vote Placed by blackfirewolf 3 years ago
blackfirewolf
coolmikebKiwiTortugaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was right in every cause and the fact that con made no sense and give literally no arguments against pro lead me to conclude that pro is the definite winner.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
coolmikebKiwiTortugaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro managed to rebut and offer contentions, while Con failed to do any except for asserting baseless claims.
Vote Placed by Deathbeforedishonour 5 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
coolmikebKiwiTortugaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro won
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
coolmikebKiwiTortugaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nice to see Mike take a somewhat controversial argument, but justification would be nice.
Vote Placed by Jillianl 5 years ago
Jillianl
coolmikebKiwiTortugaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con is simply ridiculously uninformed.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
coolmikebKiwiTortugaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made no strong arguments, nor backed them up. Pro, on the other hand, did a very good job with his task.
Vote Placed by Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus 5 years ago
Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus
coolmikebKiwiTortugaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not show any proof or sources of his arguments and had more grammar errors than Pro.
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 5 years ago
Rockylightning
coolmikebKiwiTortugaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not provide any sources, rebuttal, or valid points. Con had terrible spelling and grammar, though pro had occasional grammar errors.
Vote Placed by petersaysstuff 5 years ago
petersaysstuff
coolmikebKiwiTortugaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro won. Con provided no evidence for the claim that gay marriage would make more gays. He also provided no evidence regarding the claim that gays in the military would be bad.