kstepinac
Jhate

Gay Marriage

Jhate

kstepinac

Pro

I personally believe that everyone in this world has the right to be happy in life with whomever they so choose to be with. This could mean a man married to a woman, a man married to a man or a woman married to another woman. I don't discriminate based off of sexual orientation. I am of Baptist faith and I regularly attend church and am quite active in church. However, nowhere in the Bible do I see God directly saying that it is immoral or against his will to be married to the same sex. Nor does it say they will be punished for it. Therefore, I feel that homosexual couples should be granted the equal right as heterosexual couples to become married.
Jhate

Con

I accept this debate. First id like to say Gays can be happy together just not married. Lets start with the definition of marriage.
Marriage- the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Key word opposite sex. You have to realize that the constitution is based on religious factors and changing this would spark a huge upset.

Now my opponent stated "However, nowhere in the Bible do I see God directly saying that it is immoral or against his will to be married to the same sex. Nor does it say they will be punished for it."

I will point out in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Also read in, Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads

So clearly God does not approve of homosexuality.

Also Marriage requires a preacher.
Why would you make a preacher unite two people that the bible dosent agree with.

Homosexuals have the same rights as everyone else
I can marry a woman - and so can a guy
i cant marry a guy and neither can a guy. same rights. If i love a guy and want to get married i cant. If they do they cant its the same right.

It is also unnatural because Homosexuals cannot produce children.

Now my opponent may argue that Homosexuals want rights to visit their lover in the hospital if they are injured or something
Or say that a guy or girl may not visit their homosexual partner int he hospital because they aren't family.

This is true. However the partners are allowed to sign papers that give each other rights to visit each other in the hospital so the argument that they cant is invalid as they can.

You could say well they have to go through that trouble.

Most parents however still have to sign papers regardless saying the husband/wife can visit.
It is not discriminating because of orientation. People get that mixed up. It is morally wrong and would cause upset if the government changed something that is in the constitution based on religious views, allowing something the bible and God disagree with.

1 Timothy

Homosexuals (those "that defile themselves with mankind") are included on the list of lawless, disobedient, unholy, and profane people. 1:10

The bible says clearly homosexuality is not allowed.

Some argue that homosexual marriages serve a state interest because they enable gays to live in committed relationships. However, there is nothing stopping homosexuals from living in such relationships today. Advocates of gay marriage claim gay couples need marriage in order to have hospital visitation and inheritance rights, but they can easily obtain these rights by writing a living will and having each partner designate the other as trustee and heir. There is nothing stopping gay couples from signing a joint lease or owning a house jointly, as many single straight people do with roommates. The only benefits of marriage from which homosexual couples are restricted are those that are costly to the state and society.

I repeat this again so those can understand it clearly.

Medical health- stated "Common sexual practices among gay men lead to numerous STDs and physical injuries, some of which are virtually unknown in the heterosexual population. Lesbians are also at higher risk for STDs. In addition to diseases that may be transmitted during lesbian sex, a study at an Australian STD clinic found that lesbians were three to four times more likely than heterosexual women to have sex with men who were high-risk for HIV."

http://www.catholiceducation.org...

Thankyou looking forward to round 2
kstepinac

Pro

kstepinac forfeited this round.
kstepinac

Pro

kstepinac forfeited this round.
Jhate

Con

Jhate forfeited this round.
kstepinac

Pro

kstepinac forfeited this round.
Jhate

Con

Jhate forfeited this round.
kstepinac

Pro

kstepinac forfeited this round.
Jhate

Con

Vote con :) thankyou for this debate
Posted by Jhate 4 years ago
Jhate
How can you say who cares what the bible says. Its obvious your not familiar with the religious views our country and constitution were based on.
Posted by Jhate 4 years ago
Jhate
Yes but gay marriage goes against reigion.
Posted by The_Fool_on_the_hill 4 years ago
The_Fool_on_the_hill
religions and education are constradictions
The_Fool_on_the_hill
There are modernized Christian churches that do it here... IN CDN
Posted by Jhate 4 years ago
Jhate
my opponent put in religion so i gave examples of it with and without relgiion
Posted by Riza_Rosette 4 years ago
Riza_Rosette
"Also Marriage requires a preacher."

Actually, anyone can obtain a certificate to marry people.

Furthermore, who _cares_ what the Bible says? Separation of Church and State.
Posted by Riza_Rosette 4 years ago
Riza_Rosette
"Also Marriage requires a preacher."

Posted by Riza_Rosette 4 years ago
Riza_Rosette
"Also Marriage requires a preacher."

Posted by Sapiens 4 years ago
Sapiens
This could be easily turned into an argument to whether it is morally right to follow God's will and whether people like you are actually doing, not just rationalizing their own morality in line with a belief in a supernatural entity.

I would be pro-gay marriage, but I would defiantly be con-your justification as it seems as wrongs to me as saying "I do not murder people because donuts taste good".
/short rant

Someone else will probably be willing to debate this topic more fittingly.
Posted by THEBOMB 4 years ago
THEBOMB
what he said below....
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
kstepinacJhateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Less FFs better args.