hannah1101
MrMoney

Gay Marrige

hannah1101

hannah1101

Pro

I believe gay marrige should be legal. I believe this because there are no reasons why it shouldn't be legal. With the exception of religion. But you can't make a law based on religion. Therefore it should be legal.
MrMoney

Con

I would like to start by thinking my opponent. Now, moving on to the debate.
My opponent says you can't make a law based off of religion. This is false. The first amendment guarantees us freedom of religion. The day that stuff can't be judged with our first amendment is the day America falls. We must protect our first amendment rights. Same-sex marriage should not be legal based off of our freedom of religion.
hannah1101

Pro

I understand your reasoning, but like you said the first amendment in the constitution protects your right to follow whatever religion you please. This means that making a law based on a certain religion would be considered unconstitutional. This is because the religion that I believe in may be different from yours, and if I made a law that's only reasoning was based purely off my religion, it would violate your rights and freedom to choose how you wanted to live. This is similar to gay marrige, because they may not be a Christian, or religious. By America making a law saying that gay people can't get married because its un-Christian like is very biased and unfair to everyone else who isn't a Christian. Its kind of like me saying you can't eat that donut because I'm on a diet. I also don't see any other argument to make gay marrige illegal, besides religion, which has already been ruled out because in the U.S the government cannot make a law favoring or based on a specific religion. Therefore I still believe gay marrige should be legal.
MrMoney

Con

My opponent says that it is unfair to make a law based off of what a christians beleieve. This is false. The whole point of Freedom of religion is being able to keep what you believe. When people are forced to betray their beliefs it is unfair to the Christians. Now, Christians are being prosecuted for their beliefs on gay marriage. One fire chief in Atlanta got fired because he wrote a book where he said he was anti-gay marriage. A woman in washington might lose her house and business because she refused to serve flowers to a gay couple because of her beliefs. In the United States of America we have freedom OF religon. Not freedom from religion. It would be unfair to Christians because they would lose that first amendment right because they would have to bow down to gay marriage which most Christians don't believe in. It is not right for Christians to crumble. Christians were who found this country and now to have their beliefs denied would be terribly wrong. It is for these reasons I urge you to vote con as a voter
hannah1101

Pro

I get where your coming from. Gay marrige is against any Christian beliefs, but so is divorce, abortion, other religions, etc. For example since divorce is against Christian beliefs do you think it should be illegal. Many Christians have even had divorces themselves. But God forgave them. Also believing in another religion is against Christian beliefs is very un Christian like. But America isn't a theocracy, its a free country where any one should have the right to marry whoever they want. Also someone commented gay marrige shouldn't be legal because gay people can't reproduce. This may be true, but many gay couples choose to adopt or don't want kids. Many straight couples also do this. Are you saying that any couple that doesn't want kids or can't have kids shouldn't be able to get married? In my opinion I think its wrong to deny someone the right to get married because you don't like it. If two people are in love what gives you or anyone the right to say sorry that is against my beliefs so I'm not going to let you get married. My opponent still believes its okay to make a law based off only Christian views. If that happens the United States of America would no longer be a free country, it would become a theocracy. Subjected to only Christian beliefs. If you made a law that stated gay marrige is illegal because its against Christian beliefs, most people would be mad and offended by that. What if a Muslim made a law that said everyone had to belief in their god Allah. Would you mad, furious. I know I would be. That's because I'm not a Muslim. Many people are Christians, but also many people aren't. No where in the bible does it say that being gay is a sin. Although most Christians do imply that from Adam and Eve. Therefore I encourage you to reevaluate how you look towards whether it should be legal or not. I'm not saying to change your religion and what you believe. But remember its best not to mix religion and politics.
MrMoney

Con

MrMoney forfeited this round.
Posted by kkorzhov00 1 year ago
kkorzhov00
I believe this law should be made on "science":
-According to Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection, the "survival of the fittest" thing can only happen if the individuals can reproduce. Apparently, gay people can't reproduce with each other. Just saying.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
hannah1101MrMoneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff a round.