Knuckles
alexfalse

Gay Rights

alexfalse

Knuckles

Pro

Well, I personally believe that gay marriage is okay. I'm a Republican, hardcore nevertheless, until it comes to this issue. It might be because I am, but I don't know. I want to hear someones opposing view, and compare it to mine.
alexfalse

Con

I myself am a Independent voter, so my bias cannot go in either direction because I decided on the topic when the subject is brought up.

First off, I do not think your agrument is made any stronger because you are a republican. It is not a question on what party are you, but its a question about the morality of the human race. Since the dawn of time man has been married to women. Yes i will agree that men and women have been gay before the 21st century but never have they been held to the boundries of holy matramony. Gay people have every right constitutionally in America that a straight person does. However, until it becomes legal in all 50 states, they do not have federal rights when it comes to spouses and marrige though. They do in some states; the ones that have legalized it, but all across the board, no. I want everyone to think to themselves, if your married or not, what would you do if your neighboors were gay? You probably wouldnt think to much of it, but what if they had three kids? would you be curious if two men can raise three babies?
Knuckles

Pro

Well you are right in every way. I can not disagree with you because your argument in it's entirety s factual. But my argument is that their people too, and if they want to marry someone of the same-sex, then let them. Everybody is equal in the U.S. so should we have equal rights as well?
alexfalse

Con

so basically you gave me the debate by saying I was 100% correct, with factual evidence. I used factual evidence and you, as my opponent agreed with me. Thats never a good sign for my opponent.

I agree with you that all Americans deserve the same rights. We are a country who has had their fair share of descrimination. We understand the trials and tribulations Americans had to go through to recieve rights. You are talking as if gay Americans are going through the same troubles the Black Americans had to go through in the mid 20th century. Gay americans are the same as straight Americans. they have all the same rights as us.
Knuckles

Pro

Well, I'm not saying you are correct, I'm saying that you were being factual. You can not debate facts, but you can debate opinions, and view points. Well, they are discriminated against severely in the south. It seems the south has prevailed in putting it's ignorance on a pedestal. They hated blacks well after the civil war, and frankly a majority still do. Gays are the prosecuted the same way.
alexfalse

Con

Since the beginning of American History, large groups of people have been discriminated seriously. We saw posters in hardware stores ands restaurants saying No Negro's. We saw signs posted in early 1900's saying no Irish or No Italian. These people came to America for a better life but were forced into slums and into poverty. They did not have the same rights as white Anglo Saxon Americans. These were the times were people were TRUELY discriminated. What we have in today's society is a discrimination, but not like what we had in our past. They have all the same legal rights as anyone else. They can serve on a jury, they can own a gun, they have free speech etc. We are all the same when it comes to legal rights. If the topic is the rights of gay Americans then we already have a solution. Gay Americans have the same legal rights as straight Americans. However, if the topic is the right to get married, then their is some sort of debate. The voter has to realize what marriage is. The definition of marriage according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary is : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law.

The definition of marriage actually states that marriage is something between a man and a women. From the dawn of human existence it has been categorized as a union between a man and a women. Marriage is a sacred union culturally and religiously. The voter has to decipher between marriage and civil unions. The definition of civil union in regards to Merriam-Webster dictionary is : the legal status that ensures to same-sex couples specified rights and responsibilities of married couples.

It is up to the voter to chose what he or she believes in, but for my argument I am standing strong against gay marriage. it is different then civil unions. We are living in a country that is slowly leaving traditions that we hold dear. The gay community is not receiving any discrimination in regards to the law. Yes, their might be people who strongly dislike homosexuals, but we can change the law, but we cannot change peoples mindsets. They dislike these people because of lake of experience with them. It is a learning thing that they will experience when the topic comes up. We need to stay true to our countries origins and respond in appropriate ways, not jump to drastic conclusions.

I will like to thank anyone and everyone who will take the time to read all three rounds and take everything into consideration. Read both arguments thoroughly and make a educated decision.

I will also like to thank my competitor. You have made me think on my toes, and this was very interesting.
Posted by alexfalse 4 years ago
alexfalse
This was actually my first debate on debate.org. Thanks for the the tips about conduct. I will remember those in future debates
Posted by Double_R 4 years ago
Double_R
bjrscj, Con appeared to save everything he had to say until the last round where Pro could not respond to it but I don't think it justifies conduct, especially in a debate like this one. Pro had the burden of proof and made no attempt to satisfy it, and mostly all of what Con said was either in response to what Pros last round argument or him just expanding on arguments which Pro already dropped. If not for that it would be considered more serious.
Posted by mylescoen12 4 years ago
mylescoen12
Nobody really adressed anybody's argument. Con did in the last speech but that shouldn't be considered since Pro can't respond. I also think con was bit abrasive.
Posted by bjrscj 4 years ago
bjrscj
I'm new to the etiquette of debate here. I saw a voter mention poor conduct for having a lager paragraph as the last poster. What's wrong with that, provided no new lines of argument are brought in?
Vote Placed by Jhate 4 years ago
Jhate
KnucklesalexfalseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con dominated, Pro appears to have made no real effort. Good job to both of you
Vote Placed by Double_R 4 years ago
Double_R
KnucklesalexfalseTied
Reasons for voting decision: The only relevant statement by Pro was in questioning whether we should all have the same rights, Con answered to this by pointing out that we all do have the same rights so Pros only argument was negated.
Vote Placed by OberHerr 4 years ago
OberHerr
KnucklesalexfalseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Just read the debate. Its obvious.
Vote Placed by caveat 4 years ago
caveat
KnucklesalexfalseTied
Reasons for voting decision: I saw maybe a total of two slightly relevant arguments from Con. The rest was tangential at best. Arguments to Con.
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
KnucklesalexfalseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Alex was better, and spelt his words..well...correctly. His arguments were also better. However, I count bad conduct as having a much larger paragraph last, and defining words last. Poor conduct.
Vote Placed by OMGJustinBieber 4 years ago
OMGJustinBieber
KnucklesalexfalseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't put up much an argument.