MewxVenus
16kadams

Gay marriage and adoption should be legalized nationwide in the US

16kadams

MewxVenus

Pro

Hello. I have been wanting to debate this for a while. I intend for this to be a CIVIL debate. Each side will receive three argument slots, meaning since I am setting the challenge, I will allow my opponent to argue first, with the understanding that they will limit their fourth round arguing space to a simple, one or two sentence "Thanks for the debate, blah blah blah" I look forward to debating you, whoever you end up being.
16kadams

Con

ok here I go:

C1: Marriage is an institution that is related to procreation (child birth)

Historically, the purpose of marriage was the conceiving and raising of children. [1]

Marriage is the natural, indissoluble union, perfected by the Sacrament, between one man and one woman directed towards the purpose of preserving the human race by generating and raising children. Marriage is also ordered to the mutual help of spouses and the remedy for sexual desire. [2]

Taking a more in-depth look at this definition and the one given above, we can see that there are three main elements that compose it: 1). indissolubility, 2). contractual union between ONE man and ONE woman, and 3). ordering to the procreation and upbringing of children, mutual help, and remedy for concupiscence. [2]

Marriage is directly linked to society and the upbringing of children to continue the human race. Allowing SSM (same sex marriage) you defeat the purpose of marriage in and of itself. Just because someone is homosexual, and their population is large in the US, doesn't mean they deserve to be recognized under marriage. That means the state should grant = opertunities among the gay community, so same rights among them. Ex: civil union is separate but equal. I m personally against them but they are tolerable in the grand scheme of things. The state actually has a benefit to promoting straight marriage as a larger workforce is needed to run a country. Marriage is about procreation.

C2: There is no reason to grant marriage to this minority.

You must provide a compelling argument proving a COMPELLING case for gay marriage. That means you must have multiple proven and convincing arguments proving that SSM would be beneficial.

The Family Research Report says "around 2-3% of men, and 2% of women, are homosexual or bisexual." [3]

but:

The 2000 U.S. Census Bureau found that homosexual couples constitute less than 1% of American households. [3]

or:

In his 1948 book, Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, Alfred Kinsey shocked the world by announcing that 10% of the male population is gay. [3]

The source states that is is really hard to know how many. So for the purpose of the debate let's take simple numbers, 5%. More or less. But their poll shows 16%. But the census says (credible source) SO I chose a median. 5%

C3:Health risks that come with homosexual behavior

This doesn't say gay activity is bad, but it is not necessarily safe.

In 2006, MSM accounted for more than half (53%) of all new HIV infections in the United States, and MSM with a history of injection drug use (MSM-IDU) accounted for an additional 4% of new infections. [4]

So about 2-5% of the population holds the aids virus.
Now other SDT's:

"Syphilis and other STDs that many have long forgotten continue to pose a significant health risk to gay men," said Helene Gayle, M.D., M.P.H., director of CDC's National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHSTP). "Efforts to prevent sexually transmitted diseases must be revitalized and reshaped to stop this increasing toll." [5]

Researchers at the conference released several new studies confirming reports of increased STD risk behaviors and infections among men who have sex with men (MSM) in certain U.S. cities. Several researchers noted that STD increases among MSM might be due to increased risky sexual behavior [5]

Now I will expand later if need be.

C4: have more then one partner

This argument is linked with the one above, if you have 100 partners then your chance of obtaining STD's increases, especially among gay men.

The Dutch study of partnered homosexuals, which was published in the journal AIDS, found that men with a steady partner had an average of eight sexual partners per year. [6]

Bell and Weinberg, in their classic study of male and female homosexuality, found that 43 percent of white male homosexuals had sex with 500 or more partners, with 28 percent having one thousand or more sex partners. [7]

In their study of the sexual profiles of 2,583 older homosexuals published in the Journal of Sex Research, Paul Van de Ven et al. found that "the modal range for number of sexual partners ever [of homosexuals] was 101-500." [8]

So they all agree, they have more than 1 partner and therefore increases the risk of aids and other STD's.

C5: economic detriment

Allowing gay marriage would have an economic detriment.

When people get married, they receive federal benefits. Some of benefits can include supplemental social security, Medicaid, and tax exemptions. [9]

o it hurts the economy by draining these federal benefits that hep the economy. The federal costs to maintain the extra marriages would probably outweigh the marriage license economy.

Republican presidential candidate and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich explained in a radio interview last week that "the secular world," which advocated same sex marriage, was connected to the United State's economic downfall. [10]

Now adoption:

C6: kids need a mother and a father

In his paper, Dr. Byrd summarized the results of decades of research showing that children need both a mother and a father in order to grow into emotionally mature adults. [11]

Dr. Byrd notes that in the area of adoption, children need to be placed in stable homes with a mother and a father--without the mental and physical problems associated with homosexual behaviors. [11]

Study after study has shown that no other factor is more vital to the healthy development of children than having a mum and a dad. [12]

So no Adam and Steve, only Adam and eve.

C7: Gay domestic violence
You and I agree that kids need to have houses (well it would be beneficial) when their parents get along and do not hit, verbal abuse, etc. Gay partners do that to eachother:

Center for Disease Control concluded that "married men who are not separated are at least 25 times less apt to be domestically attacked than a homosexual male in an 'on-going relationship.' Even if we include all married and separated husbands, the risk of domestic violence in a male-male homosexual relationship is still at least 18 times greater." [13]

Low on space on more study:

A study published in The Journal of Family Violence reported in respect to homosexuality and domestic violence that among its participants "Emotional abuse was reported by 83%" of its participants. [14]

So we agree (most likely) that children do better in homes where the kids parents live in harmony, in a gay household that is less likely.

==conclusion==

For the reasons above I urge you to vote con. I now end, they kinda need a 16,000 limit option lol. Also I had a society argument and a divorce argument but because of the lack of space I didn't, they will be shown next round.

==sources==

http://www.bookrags.com... [1]

http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org... [2]

http://www.gallup.com... [3]

http://www.cdc.gov... [4]

http://www.cdc.gov... [5]

Xiridou, 1031. [6]

A. P. Bell and M. S. Weinberg, Homosexualities: A Study of Diversity Among Men and Women (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1978), pp. 308, 309; See also A. P. Bell, M. S. Weinberg, and S. K. Hammersmith, Sexual Preference (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1981). [7]

Paul Van de Ven et al., "A Comparative Demographic and Sexual Profile of Older Homosexually Active Men," Journal of Sex Research 34 (1997): 354. [8]

http://en.wikipedia.org... [9]

http://www.rawstory.com... [10]

http://www.narth.com... [11]

http://www.billmuehlenberg.com... [12]

http://www.familyresearchinst.org... [13]
MewxVenus

Pro

MewxVenus forfeited this round.
16kadams

Con

extend i deserve condut
MewxVenus

Pro

MewxVenus forfeited this round.
16kadams

Con

this sadness me...extend all arguments.
MewxVenus

Pro

MewxVenus forfeited this round.
16kadams

Con

I had arguments my opponent has not i win. VOTE CON.

so I get all points :)
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
thank you
Posted by MewxVenus 5 years ago
MewxVenus
Lol I forgot I had a debate XD hate myself so much right now. I'll redo this at a later date. congrats to my opponent though ahha
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
I'll accept
Posted by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
I'll do gay marriage but not adoption
Posted by MewxVenus 5 years ago
MewxVenus
It is, perhaps I should edit to clarify: It ought to be legal nationwide.
Posted by Hardcore.Pwnography 5 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
Is it not already legalized in several places?
Vote Placed by wiploc 5 years ago
wiploc
MewxVenus16kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
MewxVenus16kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
MewxVenus16kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious win.
Vote Placed by shift4101 5 years ago
shift4101
MewxVenus16kadamsTied
Vote Placed by 1Historygenius 5 years ago
1Historygenius
MewxVenus16kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF twice
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 5 years ago
ConservativePolitico
MewxVenus16kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Another forfeit by a compulsive forfeiter...