Cana-banana
dsjpk5

Gay marriage has to be legalized

dsjpk5

Cana-banana

Pro

Gay marriage has been an issue in the United States and many other countries ever since people discovered that gay people does, in fact, exist and want the very basic right of committing to who they love. Why this is still something which is necessary to discuss, I think is strange considering how far humanity has gotten but clearly, not all see reason quite yet,, so now I would like my word in the matter.

Yes, I think gay marriage has to be legalized, and I choose the word 'has' rather than 'should' because it is a thing that NEEDS to happen and preferably soon!
What I do not understand is, why it is so hard for some to accept that gay people have feelings in the same ways as straight people. They just love someone of their own gender, who just so happens to also be equally human.

Gosh, I barely know where to begin. First of all, why is it that the concept of love does not include everybody? Are homosexuals suddenly less in the eyes of others because they have a different sexual orientation?
For anyone who can answer, I also very much would like to know what gives you the right to decide on their behalf. Why does it bother you so that they are happy? Isn't that a good thing, human happiness? Isn't that what we strive for everyone to have?

I think it is horrible to hear so many stories about gay people getting hunted down and cursed at and even killed, yeah you heard me, KILLED because they love someone! What kind of thinking and state of mind is that!?
Gay people are sinning, apparently. Since when was love ever a sin? Someone explain to me because I have a very hard time seeing why this is such a problem.
And for the matter, slurs targeting sexuality and painting being gay or bisexual as something bad is even worse. You never hear people going around and saying 'oh that guy is soooo straight!' because he has a lot of muscles and wears a sweater, do you? Then why is a man in a tight shirt and styled hair suddenly gay, and more importantly, why do people snicker and whisper at it?

Why does it have to bother you that your neighbour or fellow student or workmate, friend, family member, or the stranger on the opposite site of town is gay? Leave them the hell alone to live their own lives.

That such hate can exist towards something so wonderful is beyond me, so please, someone tell me what this sick idea is all about. I am all ears.
dsjpk5

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for creating this debate. This should be interesting.

BURDEN OF PROOF

As the instigator, and the one making the positive claim, Pro has the full burden of proof in this debate. It is her job to demonstrate that gay marriage has to be legalized. She has to show that it's impossible for marriage between two same sex people not to exist. As Con, I don't have to demonstrate why gay marriage can't be legalized. All I have to do is cast doubt on Pro's arguments.

WHAT WE'RE NOT DEBATING

As my opponent has so eloquently pointed out, we are NOT debating if gay marriage SHOULD be legalized. As she said, my opponent specifically didn't use the word "should" when constructing the debate resolution. She, in fact chose the phrase, "HAS to be legalized". With this in mind, voters should ignore any argument Pro offers that supports the idea that gay marriage SHOULD be legalized.

Contention One:

Pro is unable to offer us any good reason to believe that gay marriage HAS to be legalized.

Nothing HAS to happen or exist. Nothing HAS to be made legal or illegal. Murder and rape don't have to be illegal. It may be in societies best collective interests for this to be, but it doesn't HAVE to be so. The very fact that murder hasn't always been illegal proves this.

In the case of marriage, there are several other possibilities that could happen instead of gay marriage being legalized. It could remain illegal, for example. Another possibility is for all marriages (gay or straight) to be made illegal. The very fact that gay marriage hasn't always been legal proves that it doesn't HAVE to be legalized.

I turn it over now to my opponent. I wish her the best of luck!
Cana-banana

Pro

Cana-banana forfeited this round.
dsjpk5

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round. I ask the voters to consider this when voting on conduct. I extend all my arguments.
Cana-banana

Pro

Cana-banana forfeited this round.
Cana-banana

Pro

Cana-banana forfeited this round.
dsjpk5

Con

Vote Con!
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
It's too bad my opponent didn't finish this debate. It could have been even more interesting.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
Exactly.
Posted by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Grammar!
Vote Placed by 1Credo 1 year ago
1Credo
Cana-bananadsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
Cana-bananadsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: As Con points out, Pro never meets the BoP so arguments to Con. Conduct to Con for Pro's round forfeits.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Cana-bananadsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Hylian_3000 1 year ago
Hylian_3000
Cana-bananadsjpk5Tied