Risen
nreed2

Gay marriage should be allowed in the United States

Risen

Pro

I'm just going to use the first round to state the one rule that I request be implemented, don't be obnoxious please. I look forward to this debate. My opponent can start before me if he/she wishes.
nreed2

Con

I will argue as much as I can but I have finals this upcomming week, if I forfeit 2 or more rounds, I willissue a dirrect chalenge for a rematch ounce school is out
Risen

Pro

My case for Gay Marriage will rest on two main points.

I. Definition of Marriage
and
II. Rights enjoyed by married couples

I. Definition of Marriage
According to dictionary.com the definition of a marriage is: A. The social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.
b. A similar institution involving partners of the same gender (otherwise known as Gay Marriage). Now, if one disregards the mentioning of gender in the first definition one will see that in a marriage two individuals establish their decision to live together as husband and wife, husband and husband, or wife and wife by legal commitments and religious ceremonies. If a gay couples religion permits gay couples to be married why should the be banned by the states? Also why should legal commitments to same sex couples be banned by the states? What is going on is almost sex discrimination. It is unreasonable for the states to ban the right to be legally married because it deprives same sex couples of their rights as people.

II. Rights enjoyed by married couples
Just to name a few, some of the rights of married couples are: a widow or widower can inherit their deceased spouse's possessions, one spouse can transfer possessions to another spouse tax free in any circumstance, joint tax filing, and funeral leave from work when a spouse dies. These rights are denied to same sex couples and I am sure that a lot of us would ask a one word question. Why? There is one answer, because the two parties are the same gender. The first amendment states that: congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. In other words this provides the grounds to the idea of separation of church and state. And in many U.S states, the decision to disallow same sex couples is a religiously influenced decision. If the United States government wants to separate church and state, these decisions are extremely hypocritical of the government. In order to get rid of that hypocrisy, the government must allow same sex marriages. Another reason that gay couples should enjoy these rights is that gay people are born gay and that is how they will remain for the remainder of their lives so, why make gay people go into an unhappy marriage to receive these rights. Some people would say that this is a violation of the rights of gay people, and I do believe it is.

The debate over gay marriage is a complicated one. However, I maintain that gay marriage is not something that states should do to appease gay people, I maintain that gay people have a right to enter a marriage with someone who is the same sex as them.
nreed2

Con

nreed2 forfeited this round.
Risen

Pro

My rebuttal is void...
nreed2

Con

nreed2 forfeited this round.
Risen

Pro

This debate is void
nreed2

Con

nreed2 forfeited this round.
Posted by nreed2 3 years ago
nreed2
I hope to have a rematch at a later date, I have just been extremeeeeely busy:(
Posted by CornCob 3 years ago
CornCob
the more i think about it the more i realize if we do then we should just get rid of it from the point of view of law
Posted by CornCob 3 years ago
CornCob
that looked interesting
i don't know what the answer is in this one and would be arguing for arguments sake... not my strong suite
i think it would have to center on why marriage is above normal contract law...
still touch and go i would think
followed by an exercise in the logical consequences of such legal change
i still would not feel comfortable
Posted by CriticalThinkingMachine 3 years ago
CriticalThinkingMachine
Don't you think it would be fair to let people know that you put a restriction on who van accept the debate,instead of giving the false impression that it is an open debate?