michigainman56
Selenia

Gay marriage should be legal in all 50 states.

Selenia
Voting Style: Judge Point System: 7 Point

michigainman56

Pro

1st round is acceptance only. PLEASE MAKE YOUR OPENING ARGUMENT is SHORT OR ELSE YOU WIL BE FORCED TO FORFEIT.
Selenia

Con

I accept your debate.
michigainman56

Pro

michigainman56 forfeited this round.
Selenia

Con

Gay marriage can lower the status of women. Women and Men in equally serve important roles in society. Saying that a man can do the job of a woman's nurturing is a biggest insult to them.
michigainman56

Pro

michigainman56 forfeited this round.
Selenia

Con

The institution of marriage has traditionally been defined as being between a man and a woman. Marriage is for procreation and should not be extended to same-sex couples because they cannot produce children together. Children need both a mother and a father.
Legalizing gay marriage could lead down a "slippery slope," giving people in polygamous, incestuous, bestial, and other nontraditional relationships the right to marry.
Selenia

Con

Selenia forfeited this round.
michigainman56

Pro

You should have the right to love who you want to love and marry who you want to marry.
Selenia

Con

2. Children need fathers.

If same-sex civil marriage becomes common, most same-sex couples with children would be lesbian couples. This would mean that we would have yet more children being raised apart from fathers. Among other things, we know that fathers excel in reducing antisocial behavior and delinquency in boys and sexual activity in girls.

What is fascinating is that fathers exercise a unique social and biological influence on their children. For instance, a recent study of father absence on girls found that girls who grew up apart from their biological father were much more likely to experience early puberty and a teen pregnancy than girls who spent their entire childhood in an intact family. This study, along with David Popenoe's work, suggests that a father's pheromones influence the biological development of his daughter, that a strong marriage provides a model for girls of what to look for in a man, and gives them the confidence to resist the sexual entreaties of their boyfriends.

* Ellis, Bruce J., et al., "Does Father Absence Place Daughters at Special Risk for Early Sexual Activity and Teenage Pregnancy?" Child Development, 74:801-821.

* David Popenoe, Life Without Father (Boston: Harvard University Press, 1999).

3. Children need mothers.

Although homosexual men are less likely to have children than lesbians, homosexual men are and will be raising children. There will be even more if homosexual civil marriage is legalized. These households deny children a mother. Among other things, mothers excel in providing children with emotional security and in reading the physical and emotional cues of infants. Obviously, they also give their daughters unique counsel as they confront the physical, emotional, and social challenges associated with puberty and adolescence. Stanford psychologist Eleanor MacCoby summarizes much of this literature in her book, The Two Sexes. See also Steven Rhoads' book, Taking Sex Differences Seriously.

Eleanor MacCoby, The Two Sexes: Growing Up Apart, Coming Together (Boston: Harvard, 1998).

Steven Rhoads, Taking Sex Differences Seriously (Encounter Books, 2004).
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
---RFD (1 of 2)---
PLAGIARISM

When I first glanced over the debate, I wrote into the RFD window that "'Freedom' is not an argument..." but reading the debate in depth, I discovered neither was worthy of gaining argument points. If the plagiarized rounds are discounted, we're left with some vague assertions.

Conduct is the only thing left to consider. Both forfeited rounds, pro forfeiting one more. The question becomes is plagiarizing two rounds a significantly worse than forfeiting one? Yes.

(the next comment has my initial reading, and feedback on arguments made before con chose to alert us to their own lack of integrity).
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
---RFD (2 of 2)---
R2 "Gay marriage can lower the status of women." This really could have used support.
"Saying that a man can do the job of a woman's nurturing is a biggest insult to them." First who is supposed to have said that? Second this is dangerously close to off topic. Third it's hardly the biggest insult to anyone (not even sure if it was supposed to insult men, women, or children).

"The institution of marriage has traditionally been defined as being between a man and a woman." While an appeal to tradition, this is a move in the right direction (as in toward the topic; it being such a blatant fallacy lowers it's value, but pro could think of no counter so it stands).

"Marriage is for procreation and should not be extended to same-sex couples because they cannot produce children together" A whole debate could be had on the validity of this assertion, but
"Freedom" is not an argument, and "You should have the right to love who you want to love and marry who you want to marry." is only an assertion, not even quite managing to restate the premise of this debate, same with "Children need both a mother and a father." Yet they do stand utterly non-contested.

"Legalizing gay marriage could lead down a 'slippery slope,' giving people in polygamous, incestuous, bestial, and other nontraditional relationships the right to marry." Nice to call out your own fallacy, clearly showing the humorous intent. However were this a troll debate, pro could win, as his decision to only rebut that one part of your case was epic "Freedom."

R5 pro makes a brief assertion, nearly just repeating the debate topic... And con plagiarizes, how obvious the plagiarism is has caused me to double check previous rounds, of which R3 was also plagiarized, with each sentence stolen from a different part of http://gaymarriage.procon.org...
Posted by michigainman56 1 year ago
michigainman56
Sorry I got busy I will post my debate
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
I might not be active on this site when the debate finishes, so you might want to replace me with someone else for the judging panel.

Current judges are as follows: Blade-of-Truth, Ragnar, whiteflame, airmax1227, Jellon, bsh1, Domr, tejretics, Saska, n7
Posted by michigainman56 1 year ago
michigainman56
I have challenged Selenia.
Posted by CookieMonster9 1 year ago
CookieMonster9
Ok I am not ready for this yet you can challenge someone else, but as I have said in your uniform debate I will debate Con for uniforms.
Posted by michigainman56 1 year ago
michigainman56
Cookie monster accept
Posted by michigainman56 1 year ago
michigainman56
Cookie monster should I select someone else?
Posted by CookieMonster9 1 year ago
CookieMonster9
And I apologize for the time I have taken I am still trying to see if I can make an argument that may be able to challenge the Pro side of this.
Posted by CookieMonster9 1 year ago
CookieMonster9
I thank you for coming out and stating this for the debate. I am not saying you would be bias but it may impact it so I thank you.
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
michigainman56SeleniaTied
Reasons for voting decision: (1) Sources to Pro as Con plagiarizes large portions of their argument from a website [http://gaymarriage.procon.org/], (2) Arguments to Con since Pro's sole "argument" was "freedom", which is barely an argument, (3) Conduct to Con since Pro forfeits more rounds than Con. Ergo, I vote Con on arguments and conduct, and Pro on sources because of unsourced plagiarism. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.
Vote Placed by n7 1 year ago
n7
michigainman56SeleniaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made really no argument. "Freedom" doesn't convey a reason at all. Although weak arguments, Con gave 3 arguments from the definition of marriage, degradation of women, and from adoption. Pro gave no coherent rebuttal to these. Conduct to Con, as Pro forfeited twice, whereas Con forfeited once. Arguments also to Con for the reasons listed above.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
michigainman56SeleniaTied
Reasons for voting decision: PLAGIARISM. ... More in comment section.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
michigainman56SeleniaTied
Reasons for voting decision: "Freedom" is not an argument, and it was the only non-forfeit, non-intro, non-new in the final round point Pro made. Much as I disagree with Con's arguments, they are actual arguments. I ignore the final round points from Con because they're late and new, but Con doesn't need them because Pro doesn't put up any kind of fight. Ergo, I vote Con. Also, conduct to Con for Pro having more forfeits.