anb820
princeyuki

Gay marriage should be legal in all states

anb820

Pro

First round is acceptance
Since this is one of my first debates and I'm pretty young, just know that I will do my best but am not an expert :)

First of all, I do NOT want this to be a religious argument. I want to know the ways same-sex marriage would affect society, laws, schools, etc. NOT things like, "It's a sin" or "It's in the bible and it is against god,". If you accept this debate please keep that in mind.
princeyuki

Con

Yes, that is true. No bible refrences. Gay marrige affects schools because they distract from a learning environment.
anb820

Pro

Okay well first of all, homosexuals do not necessarily distract children from a learning environment. If you mean that if gays have kids, then I understand your point, however let me just say I have two dads and I have a good education. It doesn't distract me from my school work or affect my learning.

Benefits

Gays getting married could actually have some benefits. Massachusetts, which became the first state to legalize gay marriage on May 17, 2004, had the lowest divorce rate in the country in 2008. Its divorce rate declined 21% between 2003 and 2008. It could also affect the economy in a positive way. Gay marriages can bring financial gain to state and local governments. Revenue from gay marriage comes from marriage licenses, higher income taxes (the so-called "marriage penalty"), and decreases in costs for state benefit programs.

Rights

Denying same-sex couples the right to marry also stigmatizes gays and lesbians as inferior, which may send a message that it is okay to discriminate against them. Homosexuals should have all the same basic rights as everyone else. I find it very unfair that they can't marry if they truely love eachother want the same benefits of marriage. Gay marriage is also protected by the Constitution's commitments to liberty and equality.

Common sense
Gays getting married will not cause World War III. It will not cause schools to start teaching about gay sex or anything having to do with homosexuals. Maybe religious people will find it unfair because it is ainst their beliefs, but religion has nothing to do with the matter when it comes to what's best for the economy, the peope and their rights.

princeyuki

Con

Yes, but it also negatively impacts our schools, lives, and communities. (Actually i agree with you, but im trying to put up a good debate...)
anb820

Pro

How exactly will it negatively affect our schools, lives and communities? Please explain your logic.
princeyuki

Con

princeyuki forfeited this round.
anb820

Pro

I guess the debate is over if you don't have any more arguments :P
princeyuki

Con

princeyuki forfeited this round.
Posted by princeyuki 3 years ago
princeyuki
Actually i did have another argument, but i was to busy to get to this debate, Mrs.anb820
Posted by Alyssa_M_Robbins 3 years ago
Alyssa_M_Robbins
Tell me how it would distract children from a learning enviorment.
Posted by princeyuki 3 years ago
princeyuki
Posted by smallstar1200 3 years ago
smallstar1200
i agree with yuki