danishalynn21
beanall

Gay marriage should be legal nationwide in the US!!!

beanall

danishalynn21

Pro

Gay marriage should be legal nationwide here in the United States. Having illegal marriage is discrimination. Everyone is equal. People should be allowed to marry anyone they want to. If straight people can marry who ever they want, then gays should be able to marry who ever they want. The reason why so many people don't want gay marriage legalized is because it is against God. People get offended when they see same sex couples for that reason. Truth is, if you don't like it then don't be near them. There is nothing wrong with being gay. There isnt proof of god anyways and If someone doesn't want to follow god's rules then they shouldn't have to. People have the freedom of any religion/belief they want. Many teens are gay and get bullied all the time and legalizing it across the nation will show teens that homosexuality is accepted in society and its okay to be gay. This is my honest opinion on why gay marriage should be legal nationwide.
beanall

Con

I happily accept Pro's argument. I look forward to a fun and loving debate, and I do hope to perhaps change the minds of both Pro and voters as I have a pretty strong opinion on this particular topic.

Since Pro hasn't stated any rules I'm going to post my arguments on why gay marriage should be illegal and then go on to rebuttals of the arguments he has made.

Arguments:

1.) I believe we should define marriage first of all and become familiar for the reason of why government recognizes a marriage in the first place. After all, there is a reason why government gives benefits to married people over those who are not married.

Marriage should exist so that two people can come together and vow to each other to not only be there for one another forever, but also to raise offspring in such a way that would benefit society through increasing population of that society. The reason of procreation is what gave rise to the reason of the entire institution of marriage in the first place which is to regulate from a social point of view, the obligations and responsibilities based upon procreation.Because procreation in itself most often largely benefits society through having more workers, scientists, millitary perssonel, entrepeurs, and overall more brain power for the entire country, the government recognizes and promotes marriage through benefits. I'd therefore like to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman who, in principle, procreate and together benefit society through sharing obligations of rearing children and providing needed support for the entire family. Because gays cannot procreate, their marriage is not needed and is quite unbeneficial to society. In fact, I'm going to argue it actually hurts and damages the value of traditional marriage and its importance to society.

2. Gay marriage damages the value of traditional marriage to a nation's society.

Opening up gays to marriage would then open up opportunities for people who believe in pedophelia, beastuality, and polygammy. If requested I can also provide arguments to why these obviously should not exist in a later round. Furthermore, gay marriage in itself is pointless due to the fact that, as stated before, marriage is to be used as an agreement between man and woman to share certain responsibilities for both each other and the children they procreate (which in turn benefits society). Homosexual marriage validates and promotes homosexual lifestyle. Civil laws are structuring principles of man's life in society. As such, they play a very important and sometimes decisive role in influencing patterns of thought and behavior. They externally shape the life of society, but also profoundly modify everyone"s perception and evaluation of forms of behavior. Legal recognition of same-sex "marriage" would necessarily obscure certain basic moral values, devalue traditional marriage, and weaken public morality. Redefining marriage to include people of the same sex is a legal endorsement of the fungibility of a man and woman in marriage. To set “any two persons” on a par with a man and a woman in marriage is to reduce the worth of their roles. People who affirm gay marriage as equivalent in worth to the marriage of a husband and a wife devalue the worth of a heterosexual marriage. In other words, legalizing gay marriage damages the relationship of procreation to marriage and thus procreating couples dwindle, negatively effecting society.

Rebuttals:

Having illegal marriage is discrimination.

This is not true. Discrimination is defined as the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex. However, by making gay marriage illegal we are not taking any rights of gays. I cannot marry a person of the same sex just as someone who is gay cannot. I can marry someone of the opposite sex just as someone who is gay can. There is no discrimination there.

People should be allowed to marry anyone they want to.

Are you agreeing with pedophillia and polygammy?

If straight people can marry who ever they want, then gays should be able to marry who ever they want.

As stated previously, straight people cannot marry whoever they want. They can only marry a person of the opposite sex just as a gay person can.

The reason why so many people don't want gay marriage legalized is because it is against God.

I did not use God in any of my arguments.

Many teens are gay and get bullied all the time and legalizing it across the nation will show teens that homosexuality is accepted in society and its okay to be gay.

Perhaps there are other ways to deal with this. Two wrongs do not make a right. There are kids in schools who get bullied for plenty of other reasons. Programs where these kids come to know each other and work together would be far more beneficial in my oppinion. After all, I don't believe the teasing of gays would stop even if it were leagalized, especially not immediately. I believe the apraoch I presented would have a far faster effect on stopping ALL bullying and not just gay bullying.

danishalynn21

Pro

danishalynn21 forfeited this round.
beanall

Con

Well unfortunately my opponet opponet has forfeited this round. I clicked his profile, and it says his account is no longer active.
danishalynn21

Pro

danishalynn21 forfeited this round.
beanall

Con

I thank the voters and viewers for their time analyzing my arguments. Vote Con!
Posted by beanall 2 years ago
beanall
Unfortunately this guy's account is no longer active...
Posted by beanall 2 years ago
beanall
I really hope this guy mentions infertile couples. :D
Posted by beanall 2 years ago
beanall
Thanks!
Posted by logicinlife 2 years ago
logicinlife
Well done to Con. I specifically like Con's rebuttals against, "we should be able to marry anyone we want."
Posted by beanall 2 years ago
beanall
I forgot to provide my source for my definition.

https://www.google.com...
Posted by leoghakj 2 years ago
leoghakj
I might accept this debate... but does this debate just cover gay marriage and not the whole gay idea?
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
danishalynn21beanallTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
danishalynn21beanallTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff