absolution97
CynicalDiogenes

Gay marriage should be legal.

CynicalDiogenes

absolution97

Pro

I've looked through your profile, and noticed that the only way in which I disagree with you is through gay marriage. I am personally very much in favour of this. However, as I saw, you are against it. Therefore, I would like to hear why this is.
CynicalDiogenes

Con

Being a liberal,I used to support gay marriage in the beginning too.Even now, i believe that the things that various so called 'christian' groups do, by spreading hatred against them is *wrong*.

Nevertheless,I am convinced that legalisation of gay marriage is not only *not* necessary from a legal point of view, but is also morally wrong.I am a catholic christian and catholic apologetics played a major role in re-shaping my opinion.But since you are atheist, i will provide purely secular moral and legal reasons for my stand.

Please let me know if we are going to argue about the legal aspect of gay marriage alone, or if we are going to debate the moral aspects as well in your opening statement.

Looking forward to an interesting debate.Wish you best of luck.
absolution97

Pro

absolution97 forfeited this round.
CynicalDiogenes

Con

Why challenge me to a debate and then forfeit the opening round itself.?
I will present 2 reasons why i revised my stand on Gay marriage.

1.A marriage is not only a social institution, but a legal one.I completely agree that an individual's sexual orientation is none of the Government 's business.But marriage as a legal institution exists to promote stable traditional marriage, which is in the interest of the state as it will provide a stable environment for the growth and production of future citizens.Gay marriage cannot do both as the members in a gay marriage cannot produce children of their own.
The state spends a LOT of money and resources in settling disputes. This was justified because of the benefit it provided for the society as a whole through children. I don't see why taxpayers should shell out their funds to protect Gay marriage.

2. the Morality:

this argument goes something like this:
1.It is morally correct to use organs given to us for the purpose for which they were intended(eg. One must only use one's eye to see, deforming it willfully to look 'cool' would be morally wrong)
2.it is evident that sexual organs were intended for reproduction. To misuse them solely for pleasure would be morally wrong.

i am *not* saying that homosexuality should be banned.I assert that a person's sexual orientation is strictly none of the government's business.But just because it should be legally tolerated does not mean that it is morally right.Just like pornography, alcohol and cigarettes, they are nothing but an unwanted consequence of having freedom of expression.It is not in the interest of the state to promote these things. If you want i can give you the catholic apologetic reasons that really convinced me, but you should be willing to accept christian doctrinal arguments.

please clarify your stand if you are interested in this debate.
absolution97

Pro

absolution97 forfeited this round.
CynicalDiogenes

Con

My Opponent has Forfeited the Debate.I carry forward all the arguments and urge you to Vote for CON!
absolution97

Pro

absolution97 forfeited this round.
CynicalDiogenes

Con

This is not even a debate.Please Vote Con.!!:
Vote Placed by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
absolution97CynicalDiogenesTied
Reasons for voting decision: (Exhasperated) ugh!