gracey072
debatability

Gay marriage should be legalised

debatability

gracey072

Pro

Marriage equality should be legalised. First round is for acceptance.
debatability

Con

I accept:)
gracey072

Pro

Someone else's marriage is none of your businesses. No allowing it is discrimination. Gay couple should be able to enjoy the same rights and celebrations as straight couples.What has a gay couple done that a straight couple has not. When I think about it is there is no good reasons not to legalise it.
debatability

Con

So... I'll go ahead and use the argument I used on a previous debate where my opponent sadly forfeited.

My Case

Note: Firstly, I would like to point out that I have nothing against homosexual individuals. I agree that if two men or two women love each other, they should be able to stay together. In fact my side on this debate really does not reflect my actual opinion. In this debate I am simply arguing that a union between two homosexual couples should not be referred to as marriage.

Religious reasons.
Now, I myself am not religious. However, gay marriage is not compatible with most religions. Just taking a look at Christianity, we can see that The Catholic Church, Presbyterian Church, Islam, United Methodist Church, Southern Baptist Convention, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, National Association of Evangelicals, and American Baptist Churches USA all oppose same-sex marriage. Now this opposition is a problem for two reasons. Firstly, churches who are against marriage between homosexuals are often pressured into, or even forced to marry gay individuals when same-sex marriage is legal. This is exactly what happened in Danbury, U.K. Two gay men who were already millionaires sued their church in attempt to force their church to perform a wedding ceremony. They wanted to challenge the laws that allowed religious organizations to opt out of marrying homosexuals (The Libertarian Republic). My second reason has to do with tax dollars. The congressional budget office (1) notes that "the cost to the federal government of extending employment benefits to same-sex domestic partners of certain federal employees (making no mention of additional costs such as Social Security and inheritance taxes) would be $596 million in mandatory spending and $302 million in discretionary spending between 2010 and 2019." If these benefits are in the name of marriage rather than civil unions religious individual's taxes will be going to a cause that they do not necessarily believe in.

Gay marriage has actually been referred to as the detriment of homosexual culture.

This argument is an interesting one. Dr. Lee Badget (2) emphasizes that "marriage means adopting heterosexual forms of family and giving up distinctively gay family forms and perhaps even gay and lesbian culture." Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual pride is a big deal. By removing the gap between homosexuals and heterosexuals, some may claim that LGBT culture will come to an end. With this argument, I am advocating for civil unions. I do believe that gay individuals should get the same opportunities as straight individuals. These opportunities just shouldn't come with the name of marriage. Really if you think about it, gay marriage can do the same thing to heterosexual culture. Badget goes on to say that, "In particular, they worry that opening up marriage poses a threat to children by diminishing heterosexual couples’ desire to marry, thereby reducing parents’ commitment and attention to child rearing." Here it is shown that making gay marriage legal could actually harm homosexual/heterosexual culture, which is something that ought to be preserved.

Marriage itself is becoming outdated. Many consider it sexist/oppressive.
Legalizing gay marriage brings more types of marriages to the plate. In July 1969, the Gay Liberation Front (3) in New York said, "We expose the institution of marriage as one of the most insidious and basic sustainers of the system. The family is the microcosm of oppression." This is a belief shared by many heterosexuals as well. Looking at my argument above, we can also see that the quality of marriage and the culture of both gay and straight individuals will be negatively impacted by the legalization of same sex-marriage. Psychology Today published an article that showed how married individuals actually become increasingly less happy after they make the decision to get married. The article also showed that married people feel isolated or alone more often. The legalization of gay marriage will result in more couples getting married, which may not actually be a good thing.

(1) http://gaymarriage.procon.org...
(2) M.V. Lee Badgett, PhD, When Gay People Get Married, 2009
(3) Paula Ettelbrick, "Since When Is Marriage a Path to Liberation?," OUT/LOOK National Gay and Lesbian Quarterly, Fall 1989

Opponent's Arguments

Discrimination
Discrimination- the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people (Merriam-Webster)
It is important to observe that gay individuals can obtain the benefits traditionally given through marriage in ways other than marriage. I do advocate for civil unions (and any other way of obtaining rights other than marriage) Look at my first point. Tax dollars go towards benefits for marriages/domestic partnerships/civil unions. If gay individuals benefits are in the name of marriage, it is unfair to people who believe being gay is immoral because their tax dollars are going towards something they believe is wrong. Since homosexuals can still get such rights outside of marriage, not allowing them to marry cannot be considered discrimination.

Rights and Celebrations
I explained above that gay individuals can enjoy rights through domestic partnerships/civil unions. As for celebrations, it is not uncommon for homosexuals to celebrate their domestic partnerships or civil unions just as heterosexuals celebrate marriage. Homosexuals are not being deprived of such events.
gracey072

Pro

gracey072 forfeited this round.
debatability

Con

extend my arguments.
gracey072

Pro

gracey072 forfeited this round.
gracey072

Pro

gracey072 forfeited this round.
debatability

Con

Extend, vote con.
Posted by Ngrovcam 2 years ago
Ngrovcam
I think, in a civil court it should be ok for 2 people of the same sex to get married. In a chruch setting, at least in a Christian setting, I think it should be up to the churches. Personally, as a catholic, I think it should not be legal for 2 people of the same sex to be married nor is it okay for 2 people of the same sex to have intimate relations in any way. But I do not think homosexuality is wrong if they abide by God's rules.

Chastity and homosexuality
Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

http://www.vatican.va...
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
Wish I would have seen this sooner I would have liked to debate against legalizing gay marriage.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
gracey072debatabilityTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff several rounds
Vote Placed by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
gracey072debatabilityTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not attempt
Vote Placed by phantom 2 years ago
phantom
gracey072debatabilityTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited for some reason.