glzo
InnovativeEphemera

Gay marriage should be legalized in the United States

InnovativeEphemera

glzo

Con

No marriage should not be legalized because that is not moral. I got nothing wrong with gays being a couples but marriage is beyond does morals. later they will want to have babies and the babies will grow up within that environment and then want to continue the cycle and that is grown.
InnovativeEphemera

Pro

I accept the debate.

Your contention is that there should not be marriage between gay people in the United States. Your reasons are:
- It is not moral
- They will want to have babies
- They will "want to continue the cycle and that is grown."

Firstly, according to what standard are you applying morality as a factor? Whose morals? Lots of people think that cheating on a partner is immoral. Does that mean it should be against the law? Lying is not against the law. And what makes homosexuality so immoral, anyway?

Secondly, how can gay people have babies? That's patently absurd, unless you're talking about adoption, in which case isn't it better that an orphaned, unwanted or badly neglected child is placed within the care of parents who actually want and have fought for it?

Your third point is unintelligible. I think you're trying to say that gay parents will turn their children gay. That's pretty ignorant, do I really have to address this?

Here is an excerpt of mine from a previous debate on this topic:

"The right to engage in a relationship with another person is fundamental to the human condition. Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states: "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood." [http://www.un.org...]
Furthermore, Article 2 of the same declaration demands "[e]veryone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind..."

Some claim that the institution of marriage is antiquated and obsolete. While this may be true for some, we are not arguing the validity of marriage itself. We are arguing whether it is a right that should be afforded to all people, which I will contend it should. "

If you are to make marriage a legal right for a group of people, it is discriminatory not to extend that right to others. This is not the case in all circumstances (for instance, not all people should be entitled to receive government allowances, but people who deserve them should be entitled to them). However, in this case, marriage is a right that should be afforded to all citizens, for the following reasons:
- Having relationships with other people is not a privilege, it is a right
- Formalising that relationship through marriage is also a right
- Two homosexuals getting married does not infringe upon anyone else's rights
- It is the business of those two people. No one else.

I'm looking forward to your round, best of luck!
glzo

Con

glzo forfeited this round.
InnovativeEphemera

Pro

Some interesting arguments proposed by my opponent.

Arguments extended.
glzo

Con

glzo forfeited this round.
InnovativeEphemera

Pro

The matter is resolved in the affirmative.
Posted by InnovativeEphemera 2 years ago
InnovativeEphemera
I know gays can't have children. Are you actually serious right now? AIDS doesn't only affect gay people, which is why saying we should not insure people against AIDS and should stop funding it is asinine. I'm done from here on out, far too many essays to get done and I don't find this guy intellectually challenging. I'll let you two get stuck in. Enjoy!
Posted by wiro 2 years ago
wiro
or perhaps you are being too logical
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Yes, there's an inherent schizophrenia in wanting small government in economic matters but big government in interpersonal and moral matters. I think the same is true for the opposition: big government in economy, small government in personal choices. It seems that across-the-board-interference or across-the-board-non-interference make more ideological sense, but perhaps I'm overlooking something.
Posted by wiro 2 years ago
wiro
While I realize that over emphasizing statistics can be problematic without looking at some of the variations in geographic location. Many of the poorer areas are rural with a lower cost of living, so yes less money can go further in those areas than in larger cities.

And I believe that outrageous example use has led to many problems. Media today is more about sensationalism than providing facts.

My biggest issue with cheyennebodie is the hypocrisy. Claiming that they want very little govt involvement and to only enforce contracts yet they want them to regulate who can and cannot get married is a direct contradiction to what they claim they want governments role to be
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Statistics do seem to back wiro up. The average income levels in Red States are lower than their Blue State counterparts, and the teen pregnancy rates do appear higher. There's an interesting article I found on Forbes which explains some of why this may be, and the cause may not necessarily be conservative Republicanism, as most of these states are Southern states and have their own torrid past.

However, wiro, if you're going to make conclusions based on statistics, I would ask how committed you are to this. For instance, would you make conclusions based on IQ statistics and race? What about crime? Or religion? If you did take these statistics seriously, it would lead to a conclusion that Jewish and East Asian racial-stock and culture tend to lead to better educated and more law-abiding individuals (which is reflected in society as a whole), whereas it goes down-hill from there. These statistics could be used to argue for Jewish-Asian supremacy and form the basis for a future Jewish-Asian overthrow of lower-IQ and more crime-disposed peoples, eventuating in a futuristic caste system with tee-totaling Jewish-Asians as overlords and whiskey-swilling Irish-Pygmies on bottom. (Keep in mind, I'm not saying such a society would be ideal. I'm using it as an especially outrageous example of statistical thinking. I prefer to judge people on whether or not they're fond of pugs, leaving the rest for the great Cthulhu to judge).
Posted by wiro 2 years ago
wiro
if they are lies prove me wrong.
http://247wallst.com...
Posted by wiro 2 years ago
wiro
probably because you are realizing that you are a hypocritical bigot? Or are you just not dealing with being wrong very well?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
innovativ.........I think that they are emphasing the wrong things.Let sex education up to the parents.

Who said unborn children deserve to die of AIDS. And if you would pay attention, GAYS CANNOT HAVE CHILDREN.And funding of medical; research is a good thing. Especially since very few people know and understand healing from the old and new testaments.

Whats a progeny?

I agree with you. The 60's is when Johnson enacted the great society programs.And medicare and public unions.We had a reprieve from disaster by Reagan.And the republican congress in the 90's. But the dumocrats pushed through a lot of junk legislation since then. And we are right at the edge.
I got a cell phone without a contract once. It was called a tracphone.
You being Jewish means what? And be specific about why you think I am wrong about the economy?

You did. By enabling government handouts to freeloaders.

wiro. I will not even dignify all your lies with a response.
Posted by Innerstrength 2 years ago
Innerstrength
I would just like to add that i saw a US study that showed that children of gay marriages on average had better grades and were more tolerant and better adjusted than their hetrosexual counterparts and also that there is the very same likelyhood that they would be gay as in a hetro marriage.
sorry but I cannot remember the source, if anyone else does please feel free to post the details.
Posted by wiro 2 years ago
wiro
If the conservative method of economic principles were working why is it then that most of the poorest states are red states?

Also if you whine and moan about the government s role is only to enforce contracts, how can you say that they can tell who people can and cannot marry? Again, look up the definition of hypocrisy and put 2 and 2 together since you are so good at math.

Also , states that teach abstinence only have a higher rate of teen pregnancy. Interesting right?
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
glzoInnovativeEphemeraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro presented some very good arguments. It's a pity Con didn't return, though he would have been in a tough spot even if he did.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
glzoInnovativeEphemeraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by FaustianJustice 2 years ago
FaustianJustice
glzoInnovativeEphemeraTied
Reasons for voting decision: FFed, which is sad, considering Pro lined up a pretty good arsenal to explain. Pity.